The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-04 14:27:05

Blip

Re: Painting reset happened

I like the fact that now, paintings might even be a disadvantage. Everybody has a very well-protected wife, but all houses are, by definition, beatable if they contain paintings (as a once-robbable house would lose its paintings at the first robbery.) So spending money on paintings puts that value into your vault, where it can easily be taken. The wife behind eight pit bulls might as well be immortal in a well-designed house, but if you get robbed, she only keeps half your cash. By lowering your cash through buying paintings, you have less of a parachute to fix and improve your house once robbed. This makes paintings even more of a luxury, as you have to either have so much money that half of it is still a significant amount, or have a ridiculously hard trap.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#27 2013-06-04 21:28:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, and as you imply here, having paintings are a sure sign that your house is passable in its current state (it hasn't been robbed yet since the owner's last self-test).  A house with NO paintings, on the other hand, might not be passable (may have been rendered impassable by previous robbers since the last self-test, but maybe it hasn't been robbed at all).

#28 2013-06-05 00:59:12

DrNoid

You could, after being robbed, buy new paintings and quit without revalidating your house...
I'm sure someone can also design a house that becomes unrobbable if a family member gets killed, thus leaving the paintings.

#29 2013-06-05 05:30:12

bey bey

I'd say this is almost necessarly true for those multiple dog&cat switches that seem to be all the rage at the moment. They move while you kill the family and stay in a position that is highly unlikely to still be able to trigger the switches in the planned way.

Considering this, my spiteful of killing the family of the bloke who stole my beloved paintings wasn't the smartest move...

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#30 2013-06-05 12:45:43

DrNoid

bey bey wrote:

Considering this, my spiteful of killing the family of the bloke who stole my beloved paintings wasn't the smartest move...

You swine! You even defiled my son's corpse with a pit bull corpse!

At least you died once while doing it big_smile

Ah well, time to build some shrines...

Board footer