The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-14 19:42:22

JAAM

A fun thing im demonstrating in my new house.

Well  was digging around in some of the old posts here and uncoverd that wireless communication bug they found and patched a while back and then i saw a small post near the end of it discussing powering nonconductive tiles alternativly every other step so they stay on (though the surrounding tiles are off) so i gave it a go and in my house you will find a toggle switch  set up similar to a dog commit that looks like it should power floors and a trap door. however it only powers the trap door. the floors stay off the whole time.

If you want to take a look you can check for the house in the 0$ range.

Last edited by JAAM (2015-01-14 20:13:25)

You are unique, just like everybody else.

#2 2015-01-15 06:23:04

voxel

Re: A fun thing im demonstrating in my new house.

Oh wow! I never knew about those old threads. I was reading the detailed rules for electronics on the wiki and believed that as described they allow wireless communication, but I never tested it. The "Wireless transmission and Step-limit exploits" thread is pretty long, so I'm not clear on whether my idea is still possible or that the wiki information is outdated.

I didn't try your house but I'll have a look later if it's still there.

#3 2015-01-15 06:34:21

JAAM

No they patched it what i was experimenting with was the idea that they could power a non conductive element by powering from opposite sides on separate steps giving it the illusion of having no power at all

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … id=988&p=5

Pic i found was at the bottom and explanation on the next page by jason.

There was some massive bug/exploit they patched allowing them to not power electronics and other wireless electronics until a certain switch was flipped but since it caused too many issues and was deemed game breaking they removed it.

#4 2015-01-15 06:48:47

voxel

Ah. Honestly, I don't understand that one; must have forgotten part of the ruleset.

Yes, I can see that the fixed number of steps was patched, but it's not clear that wireless electronics are now impossible by making use of the fact that the calculation stops once the state repeats, which is a variable number of steps. Which seems to imply that disconnected circuits can influence one another.

#5 2015-01-15 09:44:03

JAAM

Honostly most if not all of the stuff they talked about there went over my head I understood the basics of a bit of it and then I found that circuit and it made more sense then anything else + still worked so I thought i would point it out and search for a practice purpose.

#6 2015-01-27 20:49:20

iceman
Website

Just backed popped in, and I wanted to mention that I used something (kinda) similar in my last house smile Unfortunately, the site that I used to host all of the pictures of the house deleted them, but here's an old CastleDraft of it:

http://castledraft.com/editor/gGwOgp

Specifically, the trap in the bottom right.  As you go up, the lower grates are off, but the top ones and the trapdoors are all on.  When you step on the first trapdoor, you can see both cats, but nothing past the cat on top.  You know that if you step down, then you can step back up and the cat on the right will power the trapdoors- you can be 100% sure of this (well, almost- there could be a pit with a dead animal there- in that case, the safest/cheapest bet is to go down, then saw through the wooden walls).  However, you don't know what the cat above is going to do- it could turn on the grates below you.  However, it *looks* safe to cut the grate below you, since the trapdoors are powered from above and the cats won't move.  So you cut that grate, and suddenly you fall into a pit because you just cut half of the power going to the trapdoors smile

All that being said, it has the same problem most of my houses do- taking up a whole lot of space for a single trap, as devious as it is (Exhibit A: complex jumble of wires to the left (which is actually my favorite trap I've ever designed- you can see what it does in the house's breakdown, section D.) )  Still, you might have fun and success with a adaptation of that trap smile

On another note: as much as I've looked for ways to make it work again, I think wireless communication isn't possible now sad What enabled it was basically that the game could treat a circuit in 2 ways, depending on whether all circuits were "settling" or not.  We were able to build a circuit that exploited that fact- if the game was in 1 mode, a door would be open, but if it were in the other the door would be closed.  Another (separate) circuit would let you essentially switch between modes.  (I can explain this in a bit greater detail, if you'd like) The way that Jason fixed it is by making sure electronics worked the same always- now there are no "modes" that we can exploit for wireless stuff.

Anyways, sorry for the giant wall of text wink

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2015-01-27 22:12:04

JoyOfTrapping

Hi Iceman.  I've also popped back in at the same time.  smile

I want to play this game again but I don't know how to recreate the glory days.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#8 2015-01-28 06:28:12

JAAM

yeah i already poked around wit some of those designs no more wireless transfer however the 2-step powering works just fine.

Sounds like you guys had a bunch of fun back in those days big_smile

Board footer