The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-05 14:56:25

colorfusion

Idea: Highlight visited houses and watched tapes

I personally often find myself finding it hard to keep track of which security tapes I've already watched and which houses I've already been in. Visiting the wrong house or tape then exiting back to your own house, going back to the menu, then scrolling down to where you were can often be a bit of annoyance.

I feel a simple solution to this problem would be highlighting any tapes or houses you've already seen, something like this:

xNPmK58.png

The list people whose houses they've visited and tapes they've watched could be stored the users computer as there isn't really any advantage in messing with it.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-04-05 15:08:51)

#2 2013-04-05 17:57:54

Toolism

Re: Idea: Highlight visited houses and watched tapes

+1 for this guy!

That's a fantastic idea! I find the exact things you mentioned very annoying when looking for new places to rob or viewing tapes.
This would definetly be a quality of life improvement.

#3 2013-04-06 03:28:38

Nikolajlk

It should highlight the the tapes and houses you haven't seen?
Wait, that would only work for tapes... I think the highlight for houses you have visited is a pretty good idea, though.
I support your idea!

Last edited by Nikolajlk (2013-04-06 03:29:08)

#4 2013-04-06 09:22:31

DrNoid

Two buttons "previous tape" and "next tape" would also be nice. Once you have a lot of tapes clicking through pages of tapes to get to the next one is annoying.

#5 2013-04-06 13:07:26

colorfusion

DrNoid wrote:

Two buttons "previous tape" and "next tape" would also be nice. Once you have a lot of tapes clicking through pages of tapes to get to the next one is annoying.

That would be useful too, especially when you come back to find a lot of death tapes.

Now I think about it I think blue would probably be a better colour for visited/watched, maybe yellow could also be used if you were successful at stealing money.

#6 2013-04-08 22:59:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Prev/Next tape buttons are a great idea!  That will be in v6.

Highlighting is great too.  Hard to track this server-side, because we'd need to map every user to all available houses (for the house highlighting).  For the tapes, it's easier, because only the owner usually sees the tapes, so flag the tape itself as "watched" is fine.

Could try to swing house highlighting locally, for the current game session only.... it would reset next time you start the game.

#7 2013-04-09 01:13:19

DrNoid

Doing House-highlighting client-side and session-only would be fine, since the next time you play the game houses are likely to have changed.

Though you could store the house-highlight client-side and have the brightness of the highlight depend on how long ago you where there. All you'd need to do is store house-id and date in a file. As long as people don't switch computer often it would work fine. Even for people that use several machines it would still help a lot.

Board footer