The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-07 05:42:47

Passive

Re: Henson Robbed!!!

Well my house and money have al been lost sad I was pissing around in Mallory and miss counted tiles when i went to club a dog big_smile

And now the house list is really small so i doubt i shall get a house again anytime soon sad

#27 2015-08-07 07:06:14

joshwithguitar

That explains the large amount of money that was once in Mallory's place...

#28 2015-08-10 08:17:26

joshwithguitar

Hmm, where did all that money come from? If it is santa runs none have gone to me tongue.

#29 2015-08-10 18:44:16

GotABigTrap

What money?  Sometimes its bounties.  I had like a 3000$ bounty die in my 2nd house this morning and then I somehow died due to trying to self test a broken house.

#30 2015-08-10 19:07:17

joshwithguitar

Those last two robberies I don't get at all. So much money spent for what? I thought you had pretty much mapped my entire house.

#31 2015-08-10 19:34:05

GotABigTrap

I have an understanding of where the pets and buttons are but I don't really know how everything is wired up so, I have really no idea what does what.  I honestly thought it might be the dog that I drugged that opens the cat gate.

Also, I noticed you changed things recently so I was trying to see if you made a mistake that would let me through.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-10 19:36:35)

#32 2015-08-10 20:28:37

joshwithguitar

Oh I see now, luckily there are lots of things in my house to prevent such an attempt smile. There was some unexpected electrical behaviour from one of my more recent changes, but luckily not one that compromised anything. Thanks for pointing it out though.

I'm pretty sure someone is multi-accounting a bunch of money into either Napier's or Kantor's accounts at the moment (or maybe both).

#33 2015-08-10 20:37:52

GotABigTrap

haha I was trying to rob it for 1000$.  the first time I went in it appeared that the electric floor did nothing.  I used a saw and then safely left.  When I came back I brought 4 waters and no saw because it seemed like the floor did NOTHING.  However, this time around the floor lit up and killed me, so that was actually my bounty that pumped up kantor (I think).

After I died I santda runned everybody - except for you because I had already robbed you in a previous life.

Such a bad day for me...

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-10 20:39:51)

#34 2015-08-10 20:58:16

joshwithguitar

I feel like the fact I have only one account is putting me at a disadvantage... not that that seems to matter tongue.

#35 2015-08-10 22:10:25

GotABigTrap

yeah well I can't say I feel sorry for you.  I try not to totally expoit duel accounting.  For example, I could have used my 2nd account to try to rob money to get some money after trying to rob you, but Instead I went robbing with my main account.  I thought I was being careful but I was taking *risks*.  Usually I don't take any risks and I always bring the right tools, but sometimes I get sloppy when the house appears to be easy.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-10 22:10:58)

#36 2015-08-10 22:55:07

Passive

joshwithguitar wrote:

I'm pretty sure someone is multi-accounting a bunch of money into either Napier's or Kantor's accounts at the moment (or maybe both).

I can't see either of those on my TCD so I would guess one of them was/is me.  So far I have been picking up a lot of Santa runs from mr Bond. At one point he was at $5k yesterday. Not sure how :s Also I seem to be getting a lot of random 2 step deaths. And it isn't like they are Santa runs as they have no tools....

There was also someone you looked like they were trying to map out my house in another house.  Not that anyone has seen much to do that.

Anyway once I have a proper money making house I shall be coming for you tongue 

@Mala are you Mr Smith?

#37 2015-08-11 05:59:07

mala

Passive wrote:

@Mala are you Mr Smith?

no, i'm homeless right now smile

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#38 2015-08-12 22:51:35

Passive

Very nice use of your two account got a big trap. Use your one without a house to scout out the the dance and the come collect the rest with your account that had a house. Very good work takes such a lot of courage to do the scouting with an account that has nothing to lose.

Looking forward to cullman's reboot when people like you have to actually run the risk of losing their house if they want to do a robbery.

Last edited by Passive (2015-08-12 22:57:51)

#39 2015-08-13 17:43:27

GotABigTrap

First, I had no main house to begin with anyways.  When I robbed you, that was with a new life because I had not even had a house.  If anything Iblew a bunch of money that I robbed to learn the puzzle for what, a 1000 dollars more?  I built a new house with the proceeds.  I also rob with my main account all the time and die as well.  Also, even if I had only one account, I would have been back in 2 hours to rob it anyways.

I rob places with my main account taking risks all the time, which is nearly always why I'm dying and having to start over again.  The fact was I had just lost my house the other day because I stepped on a trap that looked innocent the other day.  For the past few days I'd been Santa running places and trying to get a good robbery just so I could start a new house.

I understand your frustration getting robbed, but honestly it wasn't that much money to lose anyways.  Imagine you robbed henson's 250k and then lost it because you stepped on a dog in his own house while trying to understand his puzzle (with the main account no less)? 

I can't wait for the reboot, if actually has a decent population I will be happy to play with one account.  Using duel accounts isn't like a super cheat like people think anyways.  The main thing is you gotta make your house defensive against that sort of thing by 'requiring' a large sum of money just to break somebodies puzzle.  I think Henson's house is a perfect example of this trade secret.  The problem was that I had scored some money on a new life and decided that it was worthwhile to explore the cat area, because your house just had so much money, I thought it would be worth it.  When I saw what was back there, it was pretty easy to piece together an experiment and then a subsequent robber, all of which would have taken place with chills anyways. 

Actually practically the only thing I do is I santa run everybody with my accounts and I try to leave money for other people so they can build stuff, because, I want more people to play.

Besides, I practically did you a favor as your house is currently unsolvable.  You already almost re-accumulated your value.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-13 17:56:37)

#40 2015-08-13 23:16:40

Passive

I know for a fact that Zimmerman, your current house, was up before the first scout attempt came in.

#41 2015-08-14 06:02:57

GotABigTrap

You are SO wrong about that.  If I find the time I will prove it with the video.

edit: I found the playback file so i'll have to split it somehow later when I have time.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-14 06:13:17)

#42 2015-08-14 06:42:22

Passive

I know it was because all I could view was tapes as couldn't leave my house, yet I knew/know Zimmerman is you....

Also you said "Also, even if I had only one account, I would have been back in 2 hours to rob it anyways." Even admit that you scouted with one account and then collected with the second....

It's no matter anyway, just means you will have to get use to working for the money when cullman's reboot comes out and you can't rely on building your house from your own two accounts.

Going to put this game down for a bit now anyway so i am fresh when the reboot comes. Have altered my house so i might do okay, other then that enjoy playing with your self.

Last edited by Passive (2015-08-14 06:45:53)

#43 2015-08-14 15:52:06

GotABigTrap

Passive wrote:

I know it was because all I could view was tapes as couldn't leave my house, yet I knew/know Zimmerman is you....

Also you said "Also, even if I had only one account, I would have been back in 2 hours to rob it anyways." Even admit that you scouted with one account and then collected with the second....

It's no matter anyway, just means you will have to get use to working for the money when cullman's reboot comes out and you can't rely on building your house from your own two accounts.

Going to put this game down for a bit now anyway so i am fresh when the reboot comes. Have altered my house so i might do okay, other then that enjoy playing with your self.

I had no house when I robbed u - I have the video recordedGame to prove it.  You *think* I already had a house because I rebuild the same exact entrance.  I understand it would look like the same house but the name was not zimmerman. 

As far as using a second account, as I have stated, it wouldn't have mattered if I had or had not in this case, so I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to get at.  Aside from that, if you can spend less money to break into the vault by learning the puzzle of a map than just brute forcing your way to the vault, that could be the weak point in the map.  If I tried to do that in Henson's house, it would never fly.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-14 16:04:25)

#44 2015-08-25 22:36:21

joshwithguitar

Good job Cobb (I'm assuming GABT?), I knew you would come for my kids eventually and there was nothing I could do about it.

Now to convert my house into a super fortress where I can live out the rest of my days alone thinking about my dead family and plotting revenge.

#45 2015-08-26 06:27:28

GotABigTrap

Yes, it finally dawned upon me that there was a flaw I could exploit by simply killing the puzzle-related pets and the kids- a flaw that is erased from my map; however, my puzzle must be easier to figure out than yours.  I am still not sure if this would have guaranteed victory as I thought.  I ended up making a mistake where I destroyed the electric floor.  The original plan was to kill all the puzzle pets and then save the state.  Then, next time I enter, the cat should never leave through the door.  I accidentally destroyed the electric floor, which ruined my original plan, which I had to rely upon crow-bar the door and leave and come back.  I am lucky that I got it because I would have blown every last penny with nothing to show for it.

"Now to convert my house into a super fortress where I can live out the rest of my days alone thinking about my dead family and plotting revenge."

Yes, we have so much to look forward to now don't we?

#46 2015-08-29 23:22:56

GotABigTrap

Got tired and did something stupid.  Tried way too hard to prepare to make it perfect and ended up self testing too much and eventually made a mistake. 

http://castledraft.com/editor/Xr9WDh

I don't understand why I did NOT do this instead--- would have been much safer and simpler.

http://castledraft.com/editor/mUb7yV

Detects if you use tools on the first move.  If so, the clock power shuts off and the cat locks itself in the vaults.  I spent too much time trying to find every possible weakness and fix.  The final test I actually did correctly, but somehow I had ruined it so the dogs escaped from the pens and then I was trapped.  The combination lock is harder to figure out than most but I'm sure it *could* be pieced together if completely torn apart and mapped out, but that may be hard to do.  Plus, would any *main* account have confidence they could pass the test when they have so much to lose without any possibility of using tools once they commit?  This was the beauty of this map in my opinion.  Even if somebody tore the lock completely apart by spending the money and mapping it out, would they have the true confidence to commit to a tool-less run?  It isn't as simple as just knowing the combination and brute forcing your way out if it is wrong.  If you mess it up, there is NO way out.  Also, it is not as simple as hitting a combo in like 8 buttons, it is design to obfuscate things somewhat.  More then likely they would just decide to brute force it, which could cost a huge amount and still be dangerous.  I'm completely sure this is the most effective map I've ever built and it makes me realize that conceptually its like having a little tiny area where you enter in your password and the rest of the map is just a lockdown area.

Was quite proud of this one on my second account

http://castledraft.com/editor/AAsK66

Somehow I figured out how to make a solid electric floor kill if you use a tool ;however, once the cats run out, th epower goes on.  Effectively it is  a mechanical and electronic clock that stays in sync in order to save your life... Use a tool and they go out of sync and kill you.  People kept coming in and killing themselves by cutting the floor, likely dying in confusion.  I like to think that what I've done in this map is invent AC current and then use both mechanics and electronics to detect tool use, just as my other map.

Its sad that hardly anybody plays this game anymore.  I don't know if I have the energy left to continue.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-08-29 23:46:11)

#47 2015-08-31 05:01:04

joshwithguitar

Well, that ruins my chances of revenge and getting my money back. Still, didn't take me long to get back on top tongue.

I'm pretty sure that Cobb's house had some problems I could exploit. Also the lock is pretty big compared to mine. I imagine those shots are not of working houses? They don't look possible with the given vault position.

#48 2015-09-01 17:32:26

GotABigTrap

Yeah sorry I had moved a few things in castledraft, but that was for all practical purposes what the house was like.  I had a theory I could rob you for a relatively small amount of tools and I turned out to be correct, but I barely just got it.  I rebuilt a basic house with a fix to the flaw that I've been talking about - the same flaw that helped me rob you for only around 10k in tools.  At any rate, the only way to fix the flaw is to use multiple cats.  If you enter my house now there is 3 cats at the end that will travel on 3 different paths.  Ideally, I could have more cats and more paths, but I built this house out just to test the concept.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-09-01 17:35:48)

#49 2015-09-21 14:22:28

GotABigTrap

Figured out the dance.  It was NOT easy to figure out. 

I thought I had it originally based upon piecing everything together but I actually had it wrong and had to go back and continue to try to reverse engineer it.  I'd been completely way off entire time.  The only thing that made it possible was data I've gathered over long periods of time and I tore the bottom and top completely apart the other day.  Literally, I spent a good 40,000$ to get the actual complete picture of the electronics in that house.  Part of what makes it very confusing is it is hard to judge the initial state with the buttons and all the pets and so forth. Very good work!

I've understood for a long time that the electric floor was running a paradox circuit from the bottom and that there must have been one at the top that combined with the bottom to power the cat-door at the end; however, I had no idea what the wiring looked like at all.  I found that just visiting the area was pretty much useless to figuring it out without having the entire picture of the electronics and pet positions.  I had most of the top and the bottom completely documented, but putting together the initial state of it all took some work.  Additionally, there were a few things I had to guess, but I had enough data to narrow down the variables and then just try each of them until I matched the exact behavior.  At that point, it took a bit of experimenting to actually solve it in tiny replica that I created.  I had to actually create several replicas of that entrance over time.  I created a replica a long time ago so that I could try to understand it but it was incomplete because there was too many variables and I didn't know the electronic setup.  More recently, I literally saw'd every single wall and documented every single tile on the lower and upper halfs.  This data was enough to build an identical replica of the enterance.  I eventually thought I had it and then I went to try to test this out for real with my main account.  This did not pan out well because my main character died!  I almost gave up at this point so I went back to screenshots that I took earlier to try to figure out the original pet positions.  I found a few pets that were basically unaccounted for and discovered their original locations because those locations happened to make sense.  At this point, the true dance to get to henson's vault w/o tools was in my grasp.  When I actually went, it really struck me as to how incredibly easy this dance actually is, but it is just something that people normally never think to try.

You really have to admire the design from a security system standpoint.  First, you have a entry way upon which you must follow all the rules.  One pet watches you do make sure you do not travel vertically.  Another to watch that your horizontal movements are according to the dance.  Additionally, you are standing upon an electric floor while you enter in the code that will kill you if you make a mistake, while the electric floor seems calm, it is sending a pulse signal as a way to detect tool use and initiating lockdown.  From what I can tell, the only way in is to brute force with numerous crowbars or to do the dance.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-09-21 16:43:45)

#50 2015-09-22 05:27:54

joshwithguitar

Good job! I'm surprised it ended up taking so long for anyone to get it considering how long it had been since any major changes. Funny thing is that one of my most recent changes intended to throw people off worked against me and the dance you did was different to the one I do. I've fixed it now (just deleted one tile) so would be interested to know if you can figure it out now.

It's funny how many times your main has died in my house while Henson lives on tongue.

Board footer