The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-30 19:07:50

Diablo

Hard on our small remaining community

Damn guy's,. I know there is basicly no player base but it is hard to keep a house standing here ! basicly a ton of what Im thinking are multiple accounts run thru my house and deconstruct it regularly, However I am still having fun and learning lot's I think I have alot more learning before I can compete very well!!

#2 2015-09-30 21:20:51

GotABigTrap

Re: Hard on our small remaining community

Yeah unfortunately this game has a difficult learning curve.  Also because it is a small community and there are a few veteran players, it makes it even worse.  The fact that there is a 2 hour chill period does not help either as people can constantly hit your house.  This really weakens labyrinth style houses.  The problem is that anytime you reach a fork in the road, you learn which way to go by dying.  The trick is to set up a trap where the robber does not learn anything from their death.  For a maze style house, try to dupe the robber into thinking it is not a dead end somehow.  Many times this can be a powered door with a power supply behind it (never to open).  Or even just make a trap with a wooden door at the end of the hall.  This sorts of things waste the robbers time and make it difficult to make progress even with tries.

#3 2015-09-30 22:28:53

Diablo

Oh yeah, Since I dont use advanced trap's Im going to focus on the robbers curiosity haha, I played back at launch alot had alot of fun , and I like it since i dont have to sink alot of time and can still have fun

#4 2015-10-01 08:34:59

mala

one of the most important thing is to hide information to the robbers, if they can rule out the approximate location of the vault, they can calculate exactly how much money they need in order to force their way trough.

one common error is to give hint by using different protection style -> route to vault built with concrete and powered doors/pit -> everything else wood and fishy looking doors.

something i've found very useful in my last house (links in the signature if you're interested), is having a multi-way entrance that lead to completely different section of the house. First of all there's no way to know where's the vault, and second, if someone start learning how to pass the right section, you can always move the vault to the other one.
(than the dirty trick would be to disrupt some of the electronic on the path he is following, to make him kill himself while passing a well known trap)

you can learn a lot on robbers behavior by looking closely at the tape.
See how they approach your traps and ask yourself why they do what they do.

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#5 2015-10-01 16:38:51

Diablo

Thanks mala for your input, I do study my robbery footage closely Also I find this one of the very fun part's of castle doctrine=) It really is a great game!! and even if there isnt a huge player base and nobody knows the true identity of one another, we do become somewhat fond of the houses in the end

#6 2015-10-01 16:41:10

Diablo

Well David Nicholas River I believe was at 100 grand yesterday now is at 55k something happened not sure what tho because his house counter has not changed, His house is very technical I can not pass the entrance way and with the dance trap you also cant use tool's without falling to the trap, However alot of ladder's would be needed and than the rest would be a good guess

#7 2015-10-01 21:02:16

GotABigTrap

That is my house.  I am sure it did not have 100k yesterday so must have been a bug.  The house has numerous innovations.  As you mention, tools must be used from the doorstep all the way out of the clock floor.  As an added feature, the house detects tool use and locks down differently depending upon if you use tools from the doorstep or not.  Locking system is somewhat obfuscated to confuse robbers who cut into it to look at it.  Either you use tools and it causes the house to initiate heavy lock-down, which will be VERY costly to brute force, or you do the dance correctly.  Once you take two steps on to the clock floor, there is NO other way back than to solve the puzzle.  This doesn't really discourage new lives but anybody with an expensive house would probably not risk the dance even if they saw the lock because there is really no way to test it without completely reproducing the house.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-10-01 21:06:23)

#8 2015-10-01 23:03:41

Diablo

It really is a impressive setup, I love how you can detect tool usage and based on where they use it it iniate a lock down,

wow, so your entire grid must be wired together it sounds like alot of wiring, im having issues with wiring Trying to find complex way's of doing something without using a massive ammount of space,
but in the end still without giving away my trap due to sloppy works man ship, im having alot of fun tho, Ive died in self test 4 times now from my own stupid mistakes which is the only real way to learn other than studying the robbery video's, very cool

The Smith guy seems like he is having alot of fun too, seem's to improve his trap quite fast, I also notice the house list growing slowly, Im encouraging my brother to play every day now even tho he seems to be afraid of the difficulty level in making a decent house

#9 2015-10-01 23:06:01

Diablo

I was checking into malas old house setups it has given me alot of ideas to see how something is properly done gives me an idea where I am going rong, I cant even figure out how to solve his trap when I have his entire house laid out infront of me, there is still lot's of info I am missing, I look forward to studying the trap's more

#10 2015-10-02 16:39:22

mala

Diablo wrote:

I was checking into malas old house setups it has given me alot of ideas to see how something is properly done gives me an idea where I am going rong, I cant even figure out how to solve his trap when I have his entire house laid out infront of me, there is still lot's of info I am missing, I look forward to studying the trap's more

if i can help you let me know.
At first this game can be really confusing, build your knowledge and everything will fall in line.
i still have to look really close to understand high level design, even with the full map.

Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#11 2015-10-02 20:58:45

Diablo

Do you still play mala?

#12 2015-10-03 06:29:35

Diablo

What happened to everyones house yesterday? seem's like the only person still on the list is Gotabigtrap

#13 2015-10-03 07:15:05

ZreI

Diablo wrote:

What happened to everyones house yesterday? seem's like the only person still on the list is Gotabigtrap

I was wondering the same thing after I woke up this morning.
I had 27,612$ when I went offline last night now 0$ and not a single item in my vault.
After watching the security tapes I found that a guy named Ryan Isaiah Davis robbed me with robbing suplies equal to around 6200$.
I've Never heard of the name before so I'm wondering how he got 6,200 overnight.
So I sapose the same thing happend to everyone else.

#14 2015-10-03 09:46:21

Diablo

Yeah I see Ryan Isaih on the list now, First I have seen of him, He hasnt entered my house tho and it is still up and functional

#15 2015-10-03 09:49:25

GotABigTrap

Diablo,

You probably can't see the whole list.  The game has an 'anti-cheat' feature where any account's houses will be invisible if you robbed them and they died.  Its designed to prevent a player from continuously robbing 'new lives' on a secondary account.  This sucks for anybody who is not cheating this way and sucks when somebody can see your house but they cannot see yours.  It would be cool if the server parameter was changed to make this 2 hours because if you legit rob somebody and they die after (not uncommon), you can't see their house for 24 hours.

That being said, I have two accounts and I regularly santa run the other houses.  I feel that if I don't, there won't be any money in the system for people to actually build and rob and they will stop playing when everything stagnates.  The other problem is a lot of the houses are really super easy and I gaurentee that somebody else will just rob the money out quickly if the owner doesn't upgrade their security.  If you want to beef up your security, use powered doors that are locked from the inside.

Zrel,

Welcome to the forums.

I honestly thought you had robbed all those houses that had disappeared and that is how you got to the 20k.  As far as davis is concerned, the house looks like a dumb combo lock so it shouldn't last very long.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2015-10-03 09:52:57)

#16 2015-10-03 10:51:33

Diablo

Zrel did you have the house that started in wood, went to the top of the map past the window, all the way to right side than south to some doors to select with the commit gate trap , most just ending in a wall, but 1 to your combo lock setup?

#17 2015-10-03 10:54:09

Diablo

Honestly, The majority of my trap is also based around a combo lock setup, I know this is not very fun trap to setup maybe, But this is also the main way for me to gain money since I cant think of very unique ways to do it otherwise, So as I gain money I can try the con and pro of other setup's and slowly change my trap setup around until im happy with it, Actually ive learned quite a bit now watching youtube videos and studying trap's in the forum's and alot of the knowledge im picking up I still having trouble incorporating into my own trap since im afraid to die in self tests haha

#18 2015-10-03 14:44:04

ZreI

GotABigTrap,

I got the 20k (It was actual 29k) after a player with a 29k bounty died in the house.

Diablo,

Some of that sounds like mine but some of it does not, I'd be worried if your the one who robbed me

#19 2015-10-03 15:00:49

Diablo

Nope, I havent robbed anybody, I did explore your house tho I think, got 1 tile from the safe , did it have the pit trap in borrom right corner of map and safe below it?

#20 2015-10-03 15:07:58

ZreI

For sure that was not me.
And also, the last 2 people who have robbed my house have hanged them self.
The first one came in and before doing his first move into the house he commitid suicide
Then the next one actauly made it to my safe and commitid suicide 1 block befor it

#21 2015-10-03 15:08:06

Diablo

Now Ryan Isaiah is off the list, He either died at somebodys house, or died in a self test, I did try and get thru his trap today, It was set up nice this ment my death

#22 2015-10-03 15:09:06

Diablo

ok that happened Zrel and than the next person was Ryan Isaiah who robbed you fully?

#23 2015-10-03 15:12:45

mala

Diablo wrote:

Do you still play mala?

had my last house a couple of months ago, too busy to play right now, but i always keep an eye on the forum between games.

soon or later i'll be back, this game is too addictive

#24 2015-10-03 15:13:26

ZreI

Yes that is the guy who robbed my old house

#25 2015-10-04 16:04:38

Diablo

Where is Traps house?? and whats with all the busted up houses on the list?

Board footer