The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-13 06:52:22

bey bey

Re: The Place to Post Your Break-ins

3r52OtL.jpg

smile

I'll leave this for now because it's fun to figure out in the end.

Last edited by bey bey (2013-06-13 06:53:27)

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#27 2013-06-13 08:06:50

largestherb

big_smile thank you for trying~~

revealed to me some wiring issues that i had to fix~!

Last edited by largestherb (2013-06-13 08:07:16)

#28 2013-06-13 09:00:55

jere

Like I said, 95% of it was fairly fun/easy, but the last little bit bit was incomprehensible to me. Inverted switches usually do that. I'll probably just end up recreating it.

Interesting house!

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#29 2013-06-13 11:12:25

bey bey

So it was yours, herb? That's brilliant! As you said, it was doable. It took me half the time to figure out how to do the lower sticky switch, but once I had it it gave way to that brilliant mixed feeling of shame (for taking so long) and joy of figuring it out. That's why I didn't bring 8 ladders (1st time, plus one the next time) and cleaned you out - it was a better house than I feel like designing at the moment, so it's better yours should stay up for people to enjoy. And also, if I ever feel like doing a 30k house, I know where to get the cash now. smile

- Dalleck

#30 2013-06-13 11:41:13

largestherb

smile i borrowed the core wiring, i wont take credit for that. but i fiddled about with it and how you activate it is my own work.

i wanted to make an upside-down version on my other account (philip cecil).. it kind of worked. i think it might be a bit easier than patrick talley, still gave me a super headache to get it working!

#31 2013-06-13 12:55:46

colorfusion

Just got robbed for 12K + a load of paintings by Jonathan Marcus Harris. After reaching my vault he went back and put as many dogs as he could into pits and used the remainder of his tools messing up my wiring. (I don't blame him really; my house idea is probably really frustrating to solve)

Searched for his house a while later, went in, solved it, and stole back 7K and the 13 paintings. Not the biggest steal but I was pretty happy. I actually went past his unbreakable commitment trap accidentally and would have had no way out if I didn't get his house right the first time.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-06-13 12:58:50)

#32 2013-06-13 14:00:27

bey bey

Herb, your changed house is less to my taste. big_smile And I suppose it's easier to solve since the thinking behind it is much more visible. Obfuscation was the strength of the old one. wink

- Dalleck

#33 2013-06-13 14:41:49

Laffinty

colorfusion wrote:

Just got robbed for 12K + a load of paintings by Jonathan Marcus Harris. After reaching my vault he went back and put as many dogs as he could into pits and used the remainder of his tools messing up my wiring. (I don't blame him really; my house idea is probably really frustrating to solve)

Searched for his house a while later, went in, solved it, and stole back 7K and the 13 paintings. Not the biggest steal but I was pretty happy. I actually went past his unbreakable commitment trap accidentally and would have had no way out if I didn't get his house right the first time.

Now I'm curious waht your house looked like XD
name? :3

Last edited by Laffinty (2013-06-13 14:46:00)

#34 2013-06-14 08:12:08

colorfusion

Laffinty wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

Don't know my name but I should be between Thomas David Simmons and John Richard Brown. I have 6K currently.
I'm kind of ashamed of my design at the moment, but I plan to upgrade it with V9.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-06-14 08:13:50)

#35 2013-06-14 09:06:33

ukuko

Toppled Leif Peter Hibbard. That was a lot of fun — really good house.

I'm interested to see if my solution is the same as yours!

I shot the dogs to make flicking the rotary simpler. Otherwise no shortcuts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/429 … ibbard.mp4

#36 2013-06-14 10:02:47

Laffinty

ukuko wrote:

Toppled Leif Peter Hibbard. That was a lot of fun — really good house.

I'm interested to see if my solution is the same as yours!

I shot the dogs to make flicking the rotary simpler. Otherwise no shortcuts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/429 … ibbard.mp4

WoW nice ^^ how long did that take you? to figure out i mean
wonder who leif is yikes

#37 2013-06-14 10:09:23

zed

ukuko wrote:

Toppled Leif Peter Hibbard. That was a lot of fun -- really good house.

Hey, well done! That was me. I think you're the first person to actually
figure out the paired trapdoor puzzle - I've been incorporating that into my
houses for months, and have racked up many hundreds of deaths with it...

The "intended" solution involved not releasing the pitbulls at all, but using
them to flip the rotary works too.

I'll have to steal some money back later and see if I can't make it a bit
harder...

#38 2013-06-14 10:30:42

Laffinty

colorfusion wrote:
Laffinty wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

Don't know my name but I should be between Thomas David Simmons and John Richard Brown. I have 6K currently.
I'm kind of ashamed of my design at the moment, but I plan to upgrade it with V9.

you're the one with the 3-lines chihuahua pressure plate dance? the one that wrote "Hello!" or something now tongue and replaced some of those woodne walls with concrete? or am i wrong lol

#39 2013-06-14 10:32:56

colorfusion

Laffinty wrote:
colorfusion wrote:
Laffinty wrote:

you're the one with the 3-lines chihuahua pressure plate dance? the one that wrote "Hello!" or something now tongue and replaced some of those woodne walls with concrete? or am i wrong lol

Yep I was tongue
I just lost my house though from a crash.

#40 2013-06-14 10:40:55

Laffinty

colorfusion wrote:
Laffinty wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

Yep I was tongue
I just lost my house though from a crash.

Ah, i think it was me who broke that then XD
and my attempt at the end was trying to somehow make it so the chihuahuas wouldn't un-set the trapdoors when coming for a second time tongue

#41 2013-06-14 11:57:46

ukuko

zed wrote:

Hey, well done! That was me. I think you're the first person to actually
figure out the paired trapdoor puzzle - I've been incorporating that into my
houses for months, and have racked up many hundreds of deaths with it...

The "intended" solution involved not releasing the pitbulls at all, but using
them to flip the rotary works too.

I'll have to steal some money back later and see if I can't make it a bit
harder...

Oh, don't release the pitbulls! Yeah, thinking about it that makes sense. I assumed they were a necessary evil!

The part that took me ages to figure out was how and when to push the first sticky switch. I enjoyed how convoluted the solution was!

#42 2013-06-14 17:01:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ahem... colorfusion, you ARE going to email me the details of that crash, right?  For starters, try playing that recorded game back and see if it crashes for you again at that same spot.

I didn't know the game was crashing for anyone anymore.... maybe a new bug in v9.

#43 2013-06-14 17:05:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, was it a crash from logging into v9 with the v8 client?

Yeah, the maps are now encrypted, and the v8 client chokes on them.

#44 2013-06-14 17:05:15

Laffinty

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ahem... colorfusion, you ARE going to email me the details of that crash, right?  For starters, try playing that recorded game back and see if it crashes for you again at that same spot.

I didn't know the game was crashing for anyone anymore.... maybe a new bug in v9.

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … php?id=313

well he posted about it here i think

#45 2013-06-21 17:12:13

jere

RONALD DAMIAN NASH

ronald-damian-nash.png

That was really fun! The way I play TCD these days is kind of just popping in to check for low hanging fruit, not caring about my house, and then every once in a while getting "nerd sniped" (totally obsessed with a single house).

There were a lot of components, none of which were incredibly complicated. Compare that to another recent house that uses 3 rows of pit bull switches in series and requires a complex magic dance (none of which can be reached with starting money).

So here I was able to repeatedly poke into various areas to decipher the house. Some of the areas required slightly more than starting money and I had to desperately hit small time houses just to get some additional information. But it was pretty exciting every time I discovered a new nugget.

There was the beginning timed trapdoor puzzle, which wasn't too hard. Then several small mazes with pit bulls, some of which were complete diversions. I popped into the final wiring room before the safe trapdoors, but it wasn't powered! So I had to hunt near the top to find 4 magic dance switches (again, not overly complicated), but I had to go back TWICE because I counted wrong the first time. And both times required more than starting money. After all that, the trapdoors didn't turn on and I was epic sad .... BUT I just stepped on them and it they turned out automatically. Seriously, a great house.

The house started around $4k, but by the time I was done exploring (probably 30+ deaths) it had $23k.

#46 2013-06-21 17:29:30

ukuko

Aha! Nice one. You should pop back in when I've finished the rest of the house. If I don't die in the process...

Just noticed that I forgot to replace the indicator light with a grid at the top. Doh!

#47 2013-06-23 12:39:47

bey bey

Probably the best place to say "kudos!" to the guy who finally figured out how to open my vault. Well done!

I'll think of something new for v10.

- Dalleck

#48 2013-06-23 12:44:57

jere

Where you the guy with the safe in the upper right?

#49 2013-06-23 12:47:00

bey bey

Yup, with the pillars in the pits etc. wink

- Dalleck

#50 2013-06-23 17:51:46

largestherb

castlefortify makes scouting easier than taking 10 screenshots smile

hohoho!

http://youtu.be/0OmQ9dNI-FQ

Last edited by largestherb (2013-06-24 10:13:43)

Board footer