The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-29 03:56:19

bey bey

Technical suggestion - pick up on session upon accidental logout

(since that got buried in a previous thread, I thought I'd bump it again)

The suggestion was that the client allows for pickup of a previous game upon crash or temporary loss of internet connection. Many people have had crashes cost them a lot during the game, and there seems to be no reason why the client shouldn't cache the state of things during robberies or self-test and allow you to pick up on them. The server could still kill you if nothing happens for 5 minutes.

Sounds like a major improvement to me and abuse seems unlikely.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#2 2013-07-29 03:58:43

dalleck

Re: Technical suggestion - pick up on session upon accidental logout

Jason, please respond to this thread and also the pumping thread.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-29 04:00:33)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#3 2013-07-29 04:34:04

pottage

Bump

#4 2013-08-09 14:29:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sorry, folks, been swamped with the controversy.

A few things:

--if there's something in the game that is causing a crash, then it will likely crash again when you reload the state that lead to the crash.

--The game currently retries forever when the network goes out.... so, you can just let it sit there for five minutes, if need be, until the internet comes back.

--In the case of an accidental quit (like during a robbery), there's really NO time when you'd actually want to do that, and I get that it's easy to quit accidentally at the wrong time.  I should probably just block the quit feature whenever you'd be killed by quitting (you'd have to suicide first before quitting, if you really want to ditch a robbery or self-test).

#5 2013-08-09 14:44:37

bey bey

No worries!

Well, there have also been quite a few cases of crashes through something else than the game (I'm not the only one who had the win 8 fullscreen crash issue), so in that case it would be brilliant for the game to remember what was the case.

"Please kill yourself before logging out" is actually a brilliant message I would like to see. big_smile

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

Board footer