The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-04 23:20:34

largestherb

the 'perfect' safe-house?

C6qYFfK.png

a familiar sight in the neighbourhood lately. the entry-hall in my house looks quite similar, but it seems to be the only way to keep people out long enough to gather the riches to build something!

is this a façade? it could be. behind that door the vault could be right there! ... but that vault could be empty, leaving me trapped.. just look at that row of concrete, reinforced with steel and then at least one layer of wood. you know what.. i might just turn around and go home. even if i did have a gun to shoot that dog and explore up, there would just be another dog that i can't pass, right? i'll just go home and have a cup of tea.

and it seems that is what almost everyone is doing. http://i.imgur.com/rg03q9N.png

one brave person dived in and soon found themselves reaching for their shoe-lace.. a few even came in and just dived right into an open pit, probably having just gone completely mad from seeing yet another identical entry-way!

#2 2013-09-05 05:05:52

jere

Re: the 'perfect' safe-house?

Yup, I started seeing that set up so often that I almost thought it was the same person with multiple accounts.

If you're starting fresh, you only get 1 chance per hour to scout that house because you'll almost certainly die after going through the door. If you're well established, you're going to have to bring a ludicrous amount of tools just to get into the first room. Not worth it. Even better, the entry way itself is easily broken after one robbery. One time robbables have been around for a while, but usually you could scout a little bit before getting stuck.

Interesting historical note: that kind of set up is actually extremely ancient. Here is a house I built in February:

tcd1.png

This was before ladders, so there was absolutely no possibility of brute forcing it. The only trick was finding a dog in the house and getting it to follow you at the proper distance, just like this entryway.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2013-09-09 14:07:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: the 'perfect' safe-house?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this as the "optimal" setup.

But I can't build anything remotely like that for $2000, so... at least it's not an opening move.

Board footer