The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-11 17:26:12

iceman
Website

What's Your Dumbest Mistake?

This morning, when I woke up to find my house had survived the night, I thought to myself "You know, I think this life has gotten to the point where it would really, really make me angry if I die.  I have a house that cost about $10,000 to build, there are some puzzles that I'm really proud of, and the wiring took me a couple of hours to figure out."  I got back tonight, and I'd made about 2500 over the day through house kills, I was able to rob a few houses, and then I thought to myself - "You know, I finally can afford scouting and robbing Franklin Carter's house!" His 4 dogs at the entrance had been bugging me since I saw them, but now I could afford to drug them just to scout!!!  I drugged them walked along the whole wooden wall at the top and back, then decided "You know, I'm going down to the bottom to see if his family is there".

original.jpg

I've already punched myself for doing that in a previous life, and I really should know better, but they're just so still you forget about them!  By the way, whoever's house this was, how big was my bounty?

My 2nd dumbest mistake has to be replacing all of the traps in my house with lights to test it, but accidentally grabbing the attention of my pit bull and having him chase me down the hall until I had to reach the safe, leaving me with no money and a completely worthless house.  Or so I thought - luckily, I had 2 clubs in my backpack, so I was able to sell them and at least replace 1 of my traps.

So, what are your dumbest mistakes?

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2013-11-11 18:55:26

joshwithguitar

Re: What's Your Dumbest Mistake?

Looks like I got your bounty smile - I just robbed Carter and it was one of the easiest $10,000 I've stolen.

I've had too many dumb mistakes to enumerate, but there have been a few recently. Mr Welles died because I complely forgot about a pit bull that was with the wife when I decided to avoid her (and her shotgun) rather than run for the exit. The pit bull came and ate me instead. I've died so many times during self tests for stupid reasons like forgetting that an electric floor is going to kill an important cat or replacing everything with lights, running it, finding a small bug, fixing it and then undoing all the lights and self testing whilst forgetting to re-fix the other bug.

#3 2013-11-11 22:33:37

iceman
Website

The Sleeping Dogs have just struck again =P

I was robbing someone's house (can't remember the name, but it's the one with 2 dogs if you go up and the multiple Power Grid + Sticky Button traps.  Anyways, I decided to try robbing him with starting cash, and managed to bring it down to (I think) 2 options.  At one point, he had some trickiness in a couple of traps that I didn't see, but I managed to figure out a way to escape with the last couple of items.  When I got out, I tried to guess what was behind the doors by going through hallways beside them... and I stepped on a dog XD

You know, I really enjoy the freedom you get as a new robber.  When you have a really valuable house, you don't want to rob anybody, in case they have a clever trap that you didn't see in time, and suddenly all of your work goes down the drain.  When you're a new robber, you can rob any house you want without as much worry, and it's exhilarating going through a house, trying to work out its secrets, using a couple of tools here and there but not being able to completely brute force your way through.

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2013-11-11 23:54:23

Immortallen

That would be my house Iceman, and you were not the first to do something like that.

So far the stupidest thing I've done was while testing a new trap design with just one Chihuahua and leaving the rest as pit bulls, got myself mauled and I lost a really nice house.

Last edited by Immortallen (2013-11-12 00:02:09)

#5 2013-11-12 12:36:44

largestherb

silliest mistakes.. probably when the indicator lights were added and i would keep thinking 'YEP GLOWING ORANGE THAT IS JUST A LIGHT' and stepping on live grids all the time.

i still don't trust anything glowing orange.

#6 2013-11-12 18:46:36

jere

My dumbest mistake? Stealing $19k just now and then getting sidetracked for about 10 minutes with email. Yea, that money was gone quick.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2013-11-12 18:50:52

largestherb

haha. i wondered why that was just lying around!

it went towards crushing mr levy or whatever his name was!

#8 2013-11-12 18:56:55

joshwithguitar

You really seem to have it out for me largestherb tongue, I stupidly watched the tapes instead of fixing my house after I found my wife dead. Mr Cameron will pay.

#9 2013-11-12 19:31:54

iceman
Website

When I left today, I was thinking that I wasn't going to see my wife when I got back (she's part of a trap I made).  Needless to say, someone came in with a pistol and dog meat, shot my wife for $1, left, came back and killed my kids, and left again, without even glancing over at the path to the safe.    I vowed that he would pay, then killed myself when I tried to build a shrine to my murdered family, and now I can't remember his name =P

#10 2013-11-12 19:33:54

jere

Well, I wondered the same thing, since the house I got it from didn't appear to have any defenses.

#11 2013-11-12 21:30:29

Keepeas

jere wrote:

Well, I wondered the same thing, since the house I got it from didn't appear to have any defenses.

Yeah, that would be me....
I stole about 17K from someone's house using only a saw! Great, right?
Well I was in the process of building a nice house when I got distracted and came back ~10min later
It reverted to the previous house with only a few walls installed...and the rest is history.
Oh well, that's the nature of the game after all...

#12 2013-11-12 21:49:29

largestherb

aww josh, i thought that was someone else!

#13 2013-11-13 06:54:38

jere

Well I was in the process of building a nice house when I got distracted and came back ~10min later
It reverted to the previous house with only a few walls installed...and the rest is history.
Oh well, that's the nature of the game after all...

Ah, yes. The exact same thing happened to both of us.... and the next person got some easy money too. It's like the three stooges or something.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

#14 2013-11-13 15:27:45

ukuko

I think yesterday must have been a good day for money and fools.

First Michael Edgar Lance turned up with more than enough guns to get to my family, but unfortunately appears to get a little overexcited and leaves me with one hell of a bounty.

michael-edgar-lance.gif

I decided to put that money to good use, but after putting an electric floor back in the wrong place I sealed my own tomb about 10 minutes later.

#15 2013-11-13 15:58:47

joshwithguitar

I was wondering what happened to all of the top houses and I guess it has now been explained. It's funny how in one day the entire neighbourhood can be turned upside down. Mr Lance had been around for ages - his was the very first of the generic turtle houses after the last whole world reset.

#16 2013-11-13 23:53:35

joshwithguitar

largestherb, you've done it again! I know Mr Money must have been you, I'm not exactly sure how you got him so many tools without bankrupting Mr Cameron though.

I can't remember the last time I was robbed for large amounts of money and it wasn't you using dual accounts. I seriously think it was sometime in August.

Last edited by joshwithguitar (2013-11-13 23:58:13)

#17 2013-11-14 03:27:52

ukuko

I think I robbed your disco house for a tidy sum!

#18 2013-11-14 04:30:28

joshwithguitar

ahh yep, I forgot about Mr Welles. Was it you that stumbled onto a working dance?

#19 2013-11-14 06:49:41

ukuko

Naw, I was scouting your electronics to try and figure out the dance but it made my head hurt and I just sawed my way to the top corner.

I did greatly appreciate the disco/dance satire though.

#20 2013-11-14 07:00:03

joshwithguitar

Yeah, I didn't really put that much effort into making that house secure - there was too much room dedicated to that 2D magic dance and it made it really easy to cut through - and even then someone randomly did a sequence of moves that unlocked it. I did fix it up a little after that to make it harder.

#21 2013-11-14 12:03:34

colorfusion

Died on a self test from missing a single broken wire:
A57vGRN.png

#22 2013-11-14 13:32:22

ukuko

Whole map screenshots are looking NICE

#23 2013-11-14 15:30:30

largestherb

they are beautiful!

it is possible i invaded you on my alt josh, i was actually having quite a successful robbery night last night with him! got mr bond who had a bunch of tools and some other small fries and milkshake. i lost track of who i was robbing last night, i know i cleaned up a few with cameron for my concrete upgrades

#24 2013-11-14 22:15:47

joshwithguitar

Yeah, your alt (Mr Money) died in my house after bringing one too few ladders and then very soon after Cameron came in with the perfect number. Definitely multi-account abuse smile.

Revenge is sweet though, as always smile. How much money did you spend on Cameron's house? It was pretty ridiculous, especially considering that it was set up extremely poorly for getting bounty money - even starter accounts had no reason to die in there. I'm glad I decided to spend all of Mr Sanchez' fortune to tear your place up, if I'd just tried for the vault I probably would have failed.

Last edited by joshwithguitar (2013-11-14 22:22:21)

#25 2013-11-14 22:59:06

iceman
Website

That awkward moment when you steal 6k from someone you were just planning on scouting with a beginning account, realize you're going to lose internet in 10 minutes, frantically try to design a decent house, and die in the self test the minute before your internet goes...

Board footer