The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-04 12:27:40

ivan

I have a idea/Idea Forum/Saving money/non purchased acc/maps

Idea Forum

This one is pretty straight forward. Just a Forum for idea's so you don't have to post it on the main Forum

Saving money

If you save your money, the money will transfer to a bank. The money that you move will cut in half.(transfer 100$ then you will get 50$ on your bank). You will get all your money when you are dead + the 2000$ where you will always begin with.

Will there be people that die transfer to bank and repeat?
Yes but it will never go higher then 4000$ because it will always cut in half. So you don't have so much of a advantage.

Non purchased acc

These acc will not be able to build home's but they can rob others houses. In this way there will be more people playing your game. There are around 6 people playing your game this will make it more intresting

Maps

This one is pretty straight forward too. You can coppy a text into the map loader. The map will appear just like if you would build it. If you don't have enough money it will load the map but it will turn red just like if you would place a block but you don't have enough money.

Why would you want a text?
this would be way more handy if you want to share something. There are map editors already, would it not be cool if you could export it

I think the map loader would only load the peace that the file says it has to change in this way it would be way more easy to expand your home.

A file would look like this(only the numbers of course)

y x  empty
2 2 0
y x  wall
1 1 1
y x  wall
1 2 1
y x  wall
2 1 1
y x  wall
1 3 1
y x  wall
3 1 1

the map would look like this

The rest of the map has not been changed.

#2 2013-11-04 13:27:40

colorfusion

Re: I have a idea/Idea Forum/Saving money/non purchased acc/maps

Saving money:

I dislike how you could abuse this to start off with $4000, and getting to that point takes a few minutes of clicking on two buttons which isn't fun at all. I also don't really think anything should be added that takes the edge off of dying or lets some of you live onto your next life.

Non purchased accounts:

At the moment I don't personally think the problem is lack of people robbing houses, and I think the game would be better if it had loads of houses waiting to be robbed rather than no houses.The server would also have to store a lot of data for people who aren't paying anything.

I think this idea would work effectively as a demo (although we'd need to be careful not to stray too far into F2P) but at the moment it isn't really needed for balance purposes.

Maps:

You can already export maps from recordedgames and use this code in the two online map editors. More obvious/easier export data wouldn't be too bad, however the editors themselves could probably have a small guide on how to do it.

If there aren't any technical restrictions about it, I think the player layer could probably be used for some kind of interesting trap mechanism. Perhaps a poisonous gas that spreads out causing dogs to sleep, killing cats and family. Probably originating from a power activated vent.

Using the player layer it would be able to spread onto tiles and mobiles, if it tries to move onto the player then the player would change to a gassed sprite rather than the gas actually moving onto the player tile.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-11-04 13:38:20)

#3 2013-11-04 13:40:58

ivan

I like the point of being able to sent some money to your next acc so you don't have to start over with only 2000$ but that is my opion.

http://castlefortify.com/
This site has a tut on how to import a file(in the top of the screen)
But my idea is about loading a file not saving

#4 2013-11-04 18:23:33

Keepeas

Saving Money Idea:
I like this idea, it's not perfect but I like the idea of being able to save money.
It's easy to exploit so there would have to be some restrictions or adjustments to your idea.
Maybe if you have to purchase a bank account first. $1000 for a bank account.
Or if you have to spend $2000 on your house or tools before you can deposit money.

Non purchased accounts:
I don't know if this is is good idea...
Maybe if they only start with $1000 of robbing tools.
They also can't have a bounty or benefit the home owner in anyway, because that would be extremely exploitable, so what's the point?

Maps:
THIS!
Make it happen!
I've rage quit so many times because I think this should exist.
I build a nice starter house under $1500 and then I stupidly die....and I have to rebuild the whole thing all over again!
If anything should be saveable it should be the designs that we make....I get really tired of having to rebuild my house.

One thing I would like is a "stay in place" button. There have been plenty of times I wanted to let a dog come closer to club it but...you can't.

#5 2013-11-04 21:59:53

joshwithguitar

In terms of saving maps http://castledraft.com/ is more up to date than castle fortify.

You can use it to design a map and then put it into practice. If you die during the self test just copy it manually.

If you die in someone else's house you can get copies of your house to export into castle draft from the recordgame files.

#6 2013-11-05 12:41:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

We've had lots of discussion on the idea of saving maps.

But this takes the edge off death.  Death should feel awful.  Heart-breaking.  Game-hating.

It also takes the edge off robbery.  You worked SO hard on this house, and now someone has come in and destroyed all of your hard work.  It feels awful.  "I spent HOURS building that, you asshole!"

This game is 100% fair, in that death is ALWAYS your fault.  There is no randomness.  You can ALWAYS walk back out the front door in a sticky situation and save your own neck (and house).

Yes, maybe it would be more "fun" or "addicting" if you could just press a button and magically rebuild the exact same house again after dying.... but.... I'm really not trying to make a fun, addicting game here.  That's not the point.  The point is to build something that has never existed before.... something that makes you feel things that you've never felt in a game before.

And if anything sets my games apart from other games, it's that my games have this kind of "point" and stick to it.  There are loads of people making fun, addicting games.  My job is to do something different.

#7 2013-11-10 21:27:27

iceman
Website

What about an option just to "save" your house as a text file, letting you import it into castledraft easily?  I know it will lessen the edge slightly of trying to remember your clever wiring, but you can already save your house design with screenshots (I'm doing it now), and rebuilding a house from those screenshots is still dangerous and frustrating(I've died 4/5 times trying to rebuild my house).  Having an easy way to share your house design to others on the forum would be worth it, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by iceman (2013-11-10 21:27:47)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2013-11-11 03:05:56

dalleck

iceman wrote:

What about an option just to "save" your house as a text file, letting you import it into castledraft easily?  I know it will lessen the edge slightly of trying to remember your clever wiring, but you can already save your house design with screenshots (I'm doing it now), and rebuilding a house from those screenshots is still dangerous and frustrating(I've died 4/5 times trying to rebuild my house).  Having an easy way to share your house design to others on the forum would be worth it, at least in my opinion.

Perhaps there could be a 'View All' button during edit mode that shows you a scaled overview of the entire house fit to screen.  Handy for seeing the big picture when editing and also for taking a screenshot.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#9 2013-11-11 06:33:31

joshwithguitar

iceman wrote:

Hi iceman, welcome to the forums!

Are you aware that you can import your houses into castle draft from recordGame files as long as you have passed the self test? There are instructions when you click "import" in castledraft. If you are worried that you will lose your house during a self test then you can take a risk by first setting the safe in an easy to get to but non-obvious position (perhaps after your first trap if you are sure it works) then completing the test and getting back in as soon as possible.

#10 2013-11-11 10:17:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, for the purpose of showing of the game, making tutorials, etc, I'm currently working on a "whole map screenshot" feature in the game.

Currently, you can hit "=" at any time to save a TGA screenshot (the whole screen, including buttons, text, paintings, etc.)

In the next release, you will be able to hit "+" to save a "mapshot" from the editor screen.  This will be an 896x896 image that shows a nicely-shaded rendering of the entire map.

This doesn't help you export a map to CastleDraft, but it will help for blog posts that discuss a given house technique, etc.

#11 2013-11-11 12:03:51

largestherb

oh, map screenshots, exciting! as much as i love castledraft, i also love ukuko too much to keep poking him about making the walls/pits properly expand, what with the amount of needless coding that probably entails.

had no idea about the = screenshot button! so many hidden goodies

#12 2013-11-11 16:33:05

iceman
Website

joshwithguitar wrote:

Are you aware that you can import your houses into castle draft from recordGame files as long as you have passed the self test? There are instructions when you click "import" in castledraft. If you are worried that you will lose your house during a self test then you can take a risk by first setting the safe in an easy to get to but non-obvious position (perhaps after your first trap if you are sure it works) then completing the test and getting back in as soon as possible.

I tried following the instructions on Castle Draft, but there doesn't seem to be a "Recorded Games" folder in the Castle Doctrine folder.  I really hope I can find it, because the house I just lost had some pretty crazy stuff wink

EDIT: The + doesn't seem to be working either... I'm assuming those are supposed to end up in the Castle Doctrine folder as well?

Last edited by iceman (2013-11-11 18:37:28)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#13 2013-11-13 13:02:56

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The '+' is added in v24 (not out yet).  The '=' works in all versions (to save a screen shot).

YES, all of this stuff SHOULD be in your CastleDoctrine folder..... unless you're on Windows8, in which case Windows hides it from you!

Check out:

C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\CastleDoctrine_v23

Any luck there?

#14 2013-11-13 16:40:05

iceman
Website

Yeah, I meant to say =
Like I said in another thread, the problem was where the Castle Doctrine folder was located (In Program Files).  I did find all of the games from the beginning in AppData, so I've gotten everything back!  Thanks!

Board footer