The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-01-14 17:35:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Visibility issues and Gamma

Hmm...  well, it's no more of a guessing game than the combo locks with an expensive-to-pass commit gate in front, right?

In this case, we know that a door is only deadly if a dog that has seen you already can walk there.  So, not every door is a possibility, and there's room for quite a bit of invention regarding  stuff behind the walls to force the dog to go to certain doors but not others.  But it's not just "a door" by itself that does this.  It takes a lot of stuff behind the door to make it work.  So... we can't just compare the cost of bypassing a "deadly door" to the cost of the door.

My point is, it's just another avenue to build a secret knowledge house.  Before this change, door couldn't be used as traps at all.  It just seems like more variety.

I still don't like the "very hard to see" dogs at the edge of the screen that can see you.  I'll fix that somehow.

#52 2014-01-15 08:16:17

colorfusion

jasonrohrer wrote:

Hmm...  well, it's no more of a guessing game than the combo locks with an expensive-to-pass commit gate in front, right?

In this case, we know that a door is only deadly if a dog that has seen you already can walk there.  So, not every door is a possibility, and there's room for quite a bit of invention regarding  stuff behind the walls to force the dog to go to certain doors but not others.  But it's not just "a door" by itself that does this.  It takes a lot of stuff behind the door to make it work.  So... we can't just compare the cost of bypassing a "deadly door" to the cost of the door.

My point is, it's just another avenue to build a secret knowledge house.  Before this change, door couldn't be used as traps at all.  It just seems like more variety.

I still don't like the "very hard to see" dogs at the edge of the screen that can see you.  I'll fix that somehow.

This is used mainly with magic dance puzzles in which it's a pretty easy addition to make. With combo locks you can reasonably use tools to either brute force through or at least assure a safe exit, but this is instantkill and there doesn't really seem to be a way to counter it despite how cheap the actual mechanism is to make. It doesn't require any wires so there are no weak wood spots.

#53 2014-01-15 12:37:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Draft example?

So, if you dance correctly, the door is safe to walk through, but if you dance incorrectly, it's deadly?  But even if you could brick a door open, we're not talking about a cheap bypass.... just a cheap way to test-and-repeat without dying, right?

#54 2014-01-15 13:05:09

colorfusion

jasonrohrer wrote:

Draft example?

So, if you dance correctly, the door is safe to walk through, but if you dance incorrectly, it's deadly?  But even if you could brick a door open, we're not talking about a cheap bypass.... just a cheap way to test-and-repeat without dying, right?

Here's a quick example:
http://i.imgur.com/562TvXY.png

If you don't do the dance to get the dog killed then it kills you instantly upon exiting the last door. You can also carry the doors on for however long you want like this:
http://i.imgur.com/MPn12F1.png

Meaning the player has no idea which door is the last one without previously dying to the house, as you can't see one tile behind a door.

It's usually not used as the main guessing component of the house, but rather an alternative to the old row of trapdoors, except they cost $2400 to safely bypass rather than $1800 and each tile costs $8 to place rather than $720. Also you don't have to provide any power in any way or have any vulnerabilities open to the robber.

A brick would bring the cost of each door way down for safely opening the doors.

#55 2014-01-15 14:40:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Right... I forgot about the "don't know which door is the last one" part.  I was thinking that it couldn't be so bad to just cut around the last door, but you can't tell which is the last door.

A brick to open wooden doors it will be.

I mean, really, you shouldn't be able to see through doors!  That was pretty much a bug that I was being lazy about fixing all this time...

#56 2014-01-15 18:41:00

joshwithguitar

Mission Successful: Build a house that forces Jason to allow doors to be opened with a brick or club.

#57 2014-01-15 19:45:57

Antiblitz

Must be why all the players with the most money switched to these magic dog houses.(exception of Mahan and Burgess, both of which have combo locks).  Thats one way to make a point.

#58 2014-02-07 10:41:37

arakira

I just found a solution to the visibility issues I was complaining about, and I wonder why I haven't found it a long time ago. Basically, you can see more stuff through the shroud if you have a high gamma monitor (which I guess, few people have) or if you take screenshots and edit them to crank up levels (as I do, but it is long and painful. Yesterday I even got killed because I was switching between the game and the image editor, I thought I was in my image editor, I pressed up... and died. I'm sad I can't scout Mr Price's house, but that's another story). Well, my solution is to create an ICC profile for my monitor that works well with TCD. On my Mac I started a robbery in windowed mode, and next to it I opened Preferences->Monitors->Calibrate, and I wiggled the cursors until I had the furthest vision in a various set of configurations. Then I saved the profile and I switch it on every time I play TCD. No need to screenshot anymore in every corner, I feel free smile
I'm not sure whether Windows has an integrated tool to create custom ICC profiles, but I know there are free softwares to perform it.
The only drawback is that the shroud has quite hard edges now but it is very interesting to see the shroud moving in real time as you move, and it gives the game and old fashion look, which I think goes well with Iceman's grayscale mod.
I can upload the profile if anyone is interested in trying it, but to get the best results I think each monitor needs its custom profile.

Last edited by arakira (2014-02-07 10:52:37)

#59 2014-02-07 18:33:21

joshwithguitar

If you can access Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel on your computer, usually through the notification area on the right of the task bar, you can change the gamma of your display by going to the 'display' section and choosing the 'color' tab and adjusting the gamma bar. I think this should work with most windows 8 machines with intel CPUs. Otherwise, I think most graphics card settings allow for you to adjust the gamma in a similar way.

#60 2014-02-07 19:53:23

arakira

Ooo... I just realized maybe I was the last one not using this technique sad

#61 2014-02-08 11:07:59

iceman
Website

arakira wrote:

Ooo... I just realized maybe I was the last one not using this technique sad

We shall stand together, against all odds, refusing to use high gamma!  A day may come, when the courage of robbers fail, when we forsake our pride and use high-gamma monitors... BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!!!!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer