The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 00:31:14

Eldrad

Clubbing Pitbulls even number of spaces away

Is there any way to kill a pitbull who is an even number of spaces away from you (counting the space they're in but not the one you're in) when they see you with a club? There are obviously some situations where using walls one could change the distance but assuming either only wide open space or appropriately constrained hallways is there any way?

#2 2014-01-24 01:51:28

joshwithguitar

Re: Clubbing Pitbulls even number of spaces away

With wide open spaces, no, once they see you they will always remain either an odd or an even number of spaces away. If you have a dog an even number of steps away you need to use a gun to kill it unless you can find a way to get next to it (by bricking a window, stepping on a panic button etc). Good wife defence is dependent on making sure your dogs cannot be clubbed and making use of this fact can be very helpful, especially when you are on a budget.

#3 2014-01-24 15:20:41

SnakeAes

What I don't understand is why pitbulls cannot be clubbed when asleep. Strategically I understand (because it makes dog food too strong), but realistically, a sleeping animal is a much easier target for a club than an alert one.

Couldn't this be balanced in some other way? Like forcing you to feed the dog again before it can be clubbed, thereby requiring multiple uses of dog food for this purpose, but maintaining only one for normal use?

---
勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。
"Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

#4 2014-01-24 18:47:57

joshwithguitar

A club plus 2 dogfood is still much cheaper than a gun ($400 vs $1200) and so this would make wife defence too difficult. The game doesn't try to be 100% realistic and I think in the end the interesting dynamics created by current pet and tool behaviour is definitely worth the step away from realism.

#5 2014-01-24 19:07:05

DethBringa

It is a very hard thing to balance. Defence VS robbers. I think currently pretty good. Any tweaks like that would throw the balance out quite a bit.
I could think of a number of things I would like altered but I know its pointless as it would reinforce my play style while hurting others.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#6 2014-01-25 15:19:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I really wanted sleeping pitbulls to turn into landmines that block hallways, so you really have to think before passing out drugged meat like candy at a parade.

I had some thematic justification for it way back when.

How about this:

"As a pet owner yourself, you just can't bear to club a sleeping animal."

#7 2014-01-25 15:26:48

iceman
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

"As a pet owner yourself, you just can't bear to club a sleeping animal."

But you're fine killing a harmless cat by squishing it with a brick.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-01-25 15:40:57

DethBringa

Cats unplug routers... they are EVIL! XD

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#9 2014-01-25 19:42:24

Eldrad

Personally I think a 'stand-still' for 1 turn button would generally be a good idea though it'd obviously screw with balance a whole bunch given that it currently costs 1200 to pass a dog and then would only cost 200 in some cases (could still use dead dogs or cats in pits to require dogs get killed by guns).

Board footer