The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 08:08:30

RockyBst

Real Money Servers

So I'm sure the thought must have crossed lots of peoples minds, especially given the contest. As the Castle Doctrine source is available, and anybody can set up a server, what are the chances of a pay-for-play server showing up?

I'd think probably $1 to buy in to a new life, and allow players to cash out at $1 per $3,000 in-game. That allows a reasonable amount of overhead for server hosting costs etc, maybe with a $15,000 minimum on cashing out.

Integrating micro-transactions like this shouldn't be much more than a week or twos work for a competent coder, I wouldn't have thought. Might you be having sneaky thoughts in this direction yourself, Jason? wink

#2 2014-01-26 10:17:12

agentme

Re: Real Money Servers

The game design as it is now is vulnerable to certain types of cheating by hacked clients (removing the fog, etc), so making the ability to cash out be a regular thing rather than a one-off promotional occurrence would probably not work out very well. It could be fixed (server streams map to client as they explore it), but it would put a much higher load on servers than it does now.

#3 2014-01-26 11:51:21

RockyBst

The hacking issue is a valid concern, I think the best you could probably do there is damage limitation. Have a maximum value which can be 'fenced' back to real currency every day, and have payments batched rather than instant to give sufficient time to review the recordings. That would also have the effect of meaning you couldn't just cash out a daring heist instantly, but would have to protect the money for a day or two.

The fence would essentially be an untouchable pool of money which can't be stolen until the withdrawal has been reviewed and approved.

#4 2014-01-26 13:34:26

DethBringa

That system would never work. Multiple accounts and only a few successful robberies would get you a payout and profit. Making the hosting person lose money.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#5 2014-01-26 14:05:57

agentme

The person hosting would just price game currency so that if all of it was sold, it would be less than or equal to the entrance fees people paid to get in. Not that I think the whole idea is that great.

#6 2014-01-26 16:52:11

RockyBst

The same as normal, the only way money enters the system is the initial $2,000 from a new life. And that's what you would be charging for. So it's physically impossible for the hoster to lose money, especially given the other money sinks in terms of tools and suicides.

#7 2014-01-26 17:23:15

iceman
Website

RockyBst wrote:

The same as normal, the only way money enters the system is the initial $2,000 from a new life. And that's what you would be charging for. So it's physically impossible for the hoster to lose money, especially given the other money sinks in terms of tools and suicides.

The way bounties work, you could just have 2 accounts/people rob from each other repeatedly, since, even if there's no money to steal, the bounty goes up.  One dies in the other house, you cash out with a whole lot of bounty money.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-01-26 17:39:49

RockyBst

Ahhhh, forgot about bounties. That's what happens when you don't play since about version 8 wink

Board footer