The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 10:25:09

Schminitz

This game is too random

The main problem I have with this game, is that it is nearly impossible to rob à house without using a lot lot lot of money. Imagine you go in a house, a pitbul wait you. Okey, you cannot go in front without have a chance to go back to the main door. So you need drugged meat.

So you go back in front door, you buy a drugged meat, you return in the same house, you drug the pitbul. Next corner, same thing, you cannot go in front without awakening a pitbul. So you come back, you buy 2 drugged meat, etc...

In fact, except by buying a LOT of items by going, going back, etc... You CANNOT rob a house without much luck. And when you have no more money, you have no other option that go in straight line, followed by a pitbul, and counting on your luck.

So, a game that need that much luck, for me it's too random. Correct me if I'am wrong. But how can you possibly win money, except by waiting empty little houses?

#2 2014-01-26 10:49:21

colorfusion

Re: This game is too random

Constantly going back and forth will be expensive, otherwise everyone would rob every house without any risk needing to be taken. You should scout around a bit and then guess roughly how many tools you'll need, and you might need to take some risks.

Nothing about the game itself is really random, although you don't know everything about a player's house.

#3 2014-01-26 13:24:22

DethBringa

Instead of getting 1 meat for the pitbull you should think.. Ok pitbulls, I'll grab 3 meat and see whats next. Always better to have a little more than you need just incase you get caught off guard or want to scout further.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#4 2014-01-26 13:31:36

iceman
Website

DethBringa wrote:

Instead of getting 1 meat for the pitbull you should think.. Ok pitbulls, I'll grab 3 meat and see whats next. Always better to have a little more than you need just incase you get caught off guard or want to scout further.

Exactly - I just pulled off a fairly big heist that I ended up bringing around 2-3k worth of unnecessary tools, but that is MUCH better than being killed and losing everything, or bringing too few and having to come back and start over.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-01-26 15:14:49

Spiderman

Schminitz, you are confusing hidden information with pure randomness.

There are different tiers of players. I assume you are new and not able to afford major heists on the rich folk.

You need to design simple houses that save money and kill people of similar skill to build up some starting funds, then you need to learn effective arrays of tools for certain house designs. I've stolen modest sums from electric grate-based houses with just 400$ worth of water. On the other hand, that would be absolutely useless against cat-activated-trap houses that need  four bricks to earn you the vault. Knowledge of fundamental trap design is the biggest understated component of this game.

#6 2014-01-26 15:22:11

DethBringa

As you learn more from making more money and building more elaborate traps you then know how to beat them. Then you can take on the stronger houses since you also have a bigger budget for tools.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#7 2014-01-27 09:53:21

Schminitz

Thank you spiderman, I better understand now. I will re-try that way.

Board footer