The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 19:25:36

Blip

How to Successfully Let's Play the Castle Doctrine?

In my personal effort to get more players playing the Castle Doctrine, I've considered beginning a "Let's Play" of the game on YouTube, along with doing some video tutorials now that no major new changes are on their way. (Those of you who remember, I did start work on tutorials some time ago, but the game was changing too much and I dropped the project after creating a few versions that got outdated before I could fully finish them). However, I realized that I would never, ever want to legitimately upload videos of my house designs to the internet until I was fully and completely done with that design and all possible later iterations of it. I remembered that, way back when, some guy used to have a Let's Play of Castle Doctrine, where whenever he died he would upload the footage from his previous house. This resulted in infrequent episodes and a series that eventually was ended. I feel that this could be a real problem; I've had houses that stood for over a week at a time, and suddenly fell. That would mean that, after a week of no content, I would suddenly have 5 episodes of content all at once. Also, if I happened to have a bad run, I would end up with nothing worth uploading, and again have a dry spell. It seems like this system would be plagued by problems. Plus, there's the fact that I regularly re-use designs! For example, (some time ago, like v16) I recreated one successful design five times over a period of two weeks, with only slight variation! And I wouldn't be able to upload any of those episodes until I was fully sure that I was done with that design.

After all that, I was trying to come up with better ways of "Let's Playing" this game. Robbing Spree videos, for example, would require so much set-up to get the required money that I wouldn't be able to do it effectively at all. I was considering having people send in their own tapes (of both building, robbing, and being robbed) and do some humorous and informative commentary over it, but I doubt that I would get enough to make it a consistent thing. The only thing I thought of that might work would be setting up a server to go one-on-one with my good, Castle Doctrine-playing friend and having him co-commentate; I'm not sure how well that would work, though.

Does anybody have any ideas on how something like that could work? I think that it would be a great way to get people into the game, but also would endanger my own (in-game) house so much that I'm afraid to try. tongue

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2014-01-26 22:00:07

Poundsmiley

Re: How to Successfully Let's Play the Castle Doctrine?

I tried getting back into the game with the announcement of the contest and realized I left the game because I was horrible at it. I saw a guy on YouTube upload his house and had someone come in and ruin everything. He was really great at building traps but very would almost always bail right away when trying to rob a house. I hope once the contest ends to try playing the game again.

To do a let's play you either need to not care about people knowing your trap designs or just upload videos after you die and have to start over.

Last edited by Poundsmiley (2014-01-26 22:35:12)

#3 2014-01-27 10:46:15

colorfusion

The best way to do it would probably to have a huge buffer of videos, so that you don't have to release videos of your current house or have a strange schedule. On top of that you could slow down when running low on backlog videos to try to spread them out rather than having one large gap of videos.

I don't think house reuse would matter too much, since nobody would know which house is your current one.

#4 2014-01-27 16:00:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What about a second account to shoot videos from?

#5 2014-01-27 16:03:47

Blip

jasonrohrer wrote:

I can't believe I didn't think of that. And I think I have a source of about $25 coming up soon via paypal which might finance a second account, as long as I don't die horribly. wink

Edit: So, I died like an idiot. Doing repairs and forgot that steel walls don't conduct.

Last edited by Blip (2014-01-27 16:39:56)

#6 2014-01-27 16:52:26

iceman
Website

Blip wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I can't believe I didn't think of that. And I think I have a source of about $25 coming up soon via paypal which might finance a second account, as long as I don't die horribly. wink

Edit: So, I died like an idiot. Doing repairs and forgot that steel walls don't conduct.

You forgot to knock on wood =P

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2014-01-27 17:22:54

Blip

Now I did. The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head. tongue

Board footer