The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-01-26 18:12:41

iceman
Website

Re: The Contest

So there I was, thinking I was doing well and maybe had a shot at a certain dog club, when suddenly Stewarts house appears, worth $300,000 O_o

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#52 2014-01-26 18:27:52

zed

$200,000 of that was from me.

Quite an entertaining chain of events - after realising we were in a Prisoners' Dilemma situation where we were both rich enough to be able to afford to rob the other, and though I would have been perfectly happy to live and let live I knew he'd know that I couldn't know whether he knew that I was of this persuasion, I decided I had to rob him before he robbed me. After taking down a few of the lower top houses to fund the venture (sorry about that!), I started scouting. But between scouting trips, after sinking a fair few tens of thousands into the venture, he must have seen what I was up to and disappeared from the list while he tightened his defences.

I left to get on with my neglected life, and checked my tapes an hour or so later - to find myself cleaned out. I died to a simple trap soon thereafter, and am now finally free from this game! I'm not going to try to claw my way back up.

This was not what I intended to do with my weekend. Great fun, though. It's been great to see that, after all those months of reworkings, this game really is working as intended now. The diversity of designs has been pretty impressive.

I am curious who this Mr. Stewart is... I'm guessing jgw.

#53 2014-01-26 18:39:32

jere

And..... here we go again. I have a serious problem.

On the bright side, I got someone's $7700 bounty. My house is very tricksy.

The diversity of designs has been pretty impressive.

I didn't like some of the new changes at first. I thought salary was important. But's it clear now (especially with the large player base) that bounties encourage trickery much better. I absolutely love that about TCD now. It discourages turtling. It forces you to be more creative. And it's much easier to make money with your house if it's inviting.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-26 18:49:58)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#54 2014-01-26 18:46:29

iceman
Website

zed wrote:

I am curious who this Mr. Stewart is... I'm guessing jgw.

It is, I looked back through his posts and he admits it in one of them

As for the Prisoner's Dilemma, that's exactly how I feel right now... I'm fairly confident I could rob most of the top houses right now, but doing so will paint a ridiculously big target on my back that I can't protect from.  I think that's how they feel as well, but I know it's going to get insane during the last hour or two, and I'm going to be at work then, so.....

Gosh, every time that I log in being robbed and Stewarts house is out, I get a heart attack thinking he's robbing me.

Last edited by iceman (2014-01-26 18:47:59)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#55 2014-01-26 19:28:28

joshwithguitar

zed:
I had a strong suspicion Mr Camargo was you, given his obvious proficiency with electronics.

As soon as I saw your long list of attempts at my house and how much money you had I knew there was only one thing I could do, so once I fixed my house up (it was broken after my son was killed) I bought enough tools to pretty much guarantee I'd make your vault (I didn't want to take any chances) and went for it. Why did your house suddenly increase in value just before I finally robbed it?

Anyway, it definitely could have gone very differently with a bit of luck on your part.

#56 2014-01-26 19:31:30

Blip

Well, I'm actually sort of glad my two recent deaths, one from Internet failure, and my second in a hail-mary robbery to salvage my winning chances backed up only be a decent, if mostly wooden, house, have freed me from having to worry about the contest too much, as I know I have no chance with a packed Monday schedule. I wouldn't be able to get the club anyways, as a resident of the great state of California, but I'm pretty bummed about the painting. I hope Jason tells us where he's getting them from so I can buy my own... or try my Castle Doctrine robbing skills at one of the winner's IRL houses. wink

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#57 2014-01-26 19:52:07

iceman
Website

Just fit 20 ladders and a couple pounds of C4 in your backpack and you'll be fine wink

#58 2014-01-26 20:10:56

zed

jwg:
> Why did your house suddenly increase in value just before I finally robbed
> it?

Hmm, I think I might have robbed the second-to-top while I was waiting for you
to reappear.

> once I fixed my house up (it was broken after my son was killed)

Aha! That explains some of the oddities I observed... I think I understand how
the house is meant to work now. Very nice.

Good luck with maintaining your position!

Last edited by zed (2014-01-26 20:15:50)

#59 2014-01-26 20:45:55

DethBringa

Oh you were camargo... took 40k from me sad I was spamming enter house trying to get in and change the config while you were between scouts but I kept just missing the timing.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#60 2014-01-26 20:58:29

jere

Mother of god............

I killed a man's wife. I needed the money. The wife wasn't well protected and I felt guilty.

He came back. Three times to scout. Then..... my house was occupied for a long time. I was sure I had made a grave mistake.

I open my house. On my 5th try this weekend, I've catapulted close to if not on the front. About $25k just from this one man. He couldn't bear the loss of his wife. He committed suicide on my door step.

His name was Jude. I'm sorry Jude.

This is insane. I don't know if I can protect this much money.

#61 2014-01-26 21:13:34

joshwithguitar

A suicide on the doorstep now indicates a disconnection, which explains why you were locked out for so long.

#62 2014-01-26 21:19:39

jere

Yea, I figured. But I think the suicide is more poetic.

#63 2014-01-26 21:39:53

iceman
Website

Stewart's value just dropped by 30k.... I'm getting worried

EDIT: 2 peeks inside... this doesn't look good

EDIT 2: Perez just went up 30k, and Stewart is nowhere to be found... did what I think just happened just happen?

EDIT 3: Never mind, Stewart is back, although 30k lower... gonna continue this running commentary for the time being =P

EDIT 4: Stewart's house is visible, and I'm being robbed... this could be the end...

EDIT 5:
original.jpg
sad

I WANT MY PAINTINGS BACK!!!!!

Last edited by iceman (2014-01-26 22:41:58)

#64 2014-01-26 22:15:26

joshwithguitar

You'll be heartened to hear that Mr Stewart is no more - I accidentally tapped an arrow key twice while in Epps' house. Serves me right for not using enter-confirmation movement. Now the long climb to the top again...

#65 2014-01-26 22:24:36

iceman
Website

joshwithguitar wrote:

You'll be heartened to hear that Mr Stewart is no more - I accidentally tapped an arrow key twice while in Epps' house. Serves me right for not using enter-confirmation movement. Now the long climb to the top again...

Yep, I noticed that he had a sudden influx of funds, and all of my paintings are back in auction, so I figured that was the case wink.  I suppose having a 65k house and 20k of reserve funds is MUCH better than starting over - I wish you luck over the next day

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaand 2 robberies later, I'm back in business smile (sans paintings)

Last edited by iceman (2014-01-26 22:41:30)

#66 2014-01-26 23:31:21

haln

joshwithguitar wrote:

Ouch. I was wondering why you killed yourself with so many tools left to easily get out. So I'm Epps am I? Cool.

Edit: With a sudden realization, I just realized I'm actually wealthy. It didn't even occur to me I was even near the top of the list just now...

And in case you were wondering, you had quite the bounty.
Stewartbounty

You made me way bigger of a target than I wanted to be haha.

Last edited by haln (2014-01-26 23:56:17)

#67 2014-01-26 23:42:31

Omnipotent

I accidentally idled too long while trying to take pictures of my house, and I ended up getting kicked out of my house. Then before I get back, I get robbed for $60,000. The guy came in with like 45 sleeping pills, 8 clubs, 20 water bottles, guns, torches, and all kinds of things. It was really lame to see someone just buy their way into my safe.

7a0e879c2f.png

Damn you for taking my chance at getting any money David Travis Lopez! I hope you lose your house in a test.

He stole my favorite painting too...

Last edited by Omnipotent (2014-01-26 23:43:23)

#68 2014-01-27 08:23:45

iceman
Website

Oh man, now I feel terrible... I had just gotten robbed by Stewart, so I spent everything that was left in a last ditch attempt to make it back to the top 8.  I've been trying not to think of how I'm practically robbing real money from others during this contest, but it's always in the back of my mind sad

#69 2014-01-27 09:05:35

jere

Hmmm... wonder if that was you? Hudson? Someone blew quite a bit of money coming at me. It was quite scary. 827 steps on one robbery.

I've beefed up since then but I'm still on edge.

#70 2014-01-27 11:02:13

berdario

Uhm, am I the only one that would like to use Bitcoins instead of Paypal to receive the prize? big_smile it could also help avoiding paypal eating up a sizable chunk of the smaller prizes

#71 2014-01-27 11:12:16

iceman
Website

jere wrote:

Hmmm... wonder if that was you? Hudson? Someone blew quite a bit of money coming at me. It was quite scary. 827 steps on one robbery.

I've beefed up since then but I'm still on edge.

Are you asking me?  In that case, no - I was successful in my comeback robberies, with the result of the second above

#72 2014-01-27 11:25:41

haln

iceman wrote:

I've been trying not to think of how I'm practically robbing real money from others during this contest, but it's always in the back of my mind sad

Haha, this is always on my mind too. It's the reason I haven't bothered scouting and robbing people, I just made a house and everybody gave me money. I didn't kill them, it was self-defense! Plus, I'm a scaredy-cat (for some reason that doesn't look right, but probably because I've never tried spelling that) and I already get enough tension doing a self-test, let alone trying to explore other houses.

#73 2014-01-27 11:30:16

jere

Oh,  I misread your comment iceman. So... you're Lopez? Lopez keeps taking a few steps into my house and leaving. I'm not sure if he's preparing for something or just in the wrong place.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit I'm quite desensitized to the violence and taking money from people. I guess that's another theme of the game. I started playing almost a year ago. I think I was remorseful at first, but that has long since passed.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-27 11:30:55)

#74 2014-01-27 11:35:47

iceman
Website

I kinda wish this contest was just for the paintings/self defense tools, not for money.  Right now the painting I was costs 50k, so to buy it and still be in the top 8 to get it physically I'll need to rob one of the top 8... but that'll cost them $50 or more.  I'm pretty sure that if there wasn't any money involved, either your house would be much lower or my house wouldn't even be on the list =P

jere wrote:

Oh,  I misread your comment iceman. So... you're Lopez? Lopez keeps taking a few steps into my house and leaving. I'm not sure if he's preparing for something or just in the wrong place.

I just have a habit of looking through the top houses, mostly out of nervous energy than any strategic thinking, since I know not much is going to change, at least from the entrance.  Monday at 5:30, though, that's probably going to change =P

EDIT: Also, I've noticed a whole lot of 95k paintings for auction... did Perez die?

Last edited by iceman (2014-01-27 11:43:36)

#75 2014-01-27 11:36:49

jere

I kind of agree. I would gladly trade the ~$80 I'm expecting for a guaranteed painting.

Board footer