The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 16:34:18

Matt

Possibility of Duplicate Accounts

I wanna say first off great game!

I was enjoying it up till I lost of course lol (Part of the great replay value)

I am curious about the way I was robbed though and I'm wondering if they could have used Duplicate Accounts.

I was 99.9% almost successfully robbed by Harvey David Orchoa around 3:20pm PST and I noticed it odd that he made it to the safe but didn't collect the money and walked into the trap to die.. (even used multiple tools to get there but didn't take the vault cash)

odd-harvey-david.jpg

I thought wow I'm lucky, but then seconds later I noticed someone named Paul Thomas Swanson jump in seconds later without any tools and took 7624.00 out of the vault (not 1 of the 27 steps was incorrect)

Then returned a 2nd time came back with just enough to finish off the dogs and my wife with no problem. (either their a pro seeing as they never saw over there or something's fishy)

Here is a screenshot if it helps.

possible-duplication.jpg

I've highlighted the person I believe to be using multiple accounts grouped at the top.

Back to the drawing board for me tongue
Thanks again for the great entertainment!

Last edited by Matt (2014-01-24 16:43:56)

#2 2014-01-24 17:08:59

DethBringa

Re: Possibility of Duplicate Accounts

Yes I have encountered exactly the same thing. People do have multi accounts. I don't but I know there are people that do.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#3 2014-01-24 18:16:11

SnakeAes

It's unlikely these were the same account, but could've been separate accounts owned by the same person.

Whatever account Harvey David Ochoa was on, that person's next character would've been unable to enter your house right away thanks to the chill system which is meant to combat this type of thing. But of course if someone was familiar enough with your house and had a SEPARATE account to play on, then yes they could've easily done this.

---
勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。
"Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

#4 2014-01-24 19:03:32

DethBringa

I think thats the whole point here is one person with more than 1 account. That way they can rob all they like with no fear of losing anything. If they are successful then they rob their alt account with their main to increase their funds. Combine that with macro lockout to stop people entering their house at all and there you have the ultimate exploit to win the contest.
IMO these people ARE cheaters and ruin it for everyone else playing the game properly.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#5 2014-01-24 22:21:23

DethBringa

As an after thought.... There is more and more money in the game but all the top names vanish off the house list after they reach a certain amount. How can we see who the actual top 10 are to know whether or not we are lined up for a painting? Also, if you are in the top 8 do you have to have the specific painting in your house that you want?

I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#6 2014-01-25 16:12:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Swanson and Ochoa do indeed seem to be the same person, from what I can see in the server logs.  I've emailed that player.

As you can imagine, this is pretty much impossible for me to detect in any kind of automated way.  In the worst case, it could just be friends giving each other tips about houses.

Fortunately, Swanson has since died and does not have a top house.

At least it doesn't allow people to push through top houses without skill.  Scouting well, even with a second account, takes a lot of skill.  And they can only scout a given house so many times with the second account (death means a chill for 24 hours).  Finally, repeated "dumping" of tools between two accounts is hampered by the chills as well (as is stealing tools from a second account).  You can only do this once every 24 hours currently.

Currently, the "true" top house list pretty much matches the top 8 seen in the game (there are a few houses being edited and robbed).

One top player has had his house checked out for edit for 3 hours.  I'm going to figure out how to deal with that soon.

#7 2014-01-25 17:30:26

DethBringa

So that means the people that robbed me of 50k all died almost straight away. At least there's a comfort in that.

I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#8 2014-01-26 16:59:28

Matt

jasonrohrer wrote:

Swanson and Ochoa do indeed seem to be the same person, from what I can see in the server logs.  I've emailed that player.

Glad I could help you track him down, It could have been friends though from some hints easily.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fortunately, Swanson has since died and does not have a top house.

Even better, lol

jasonrohrer wrote:

And they can only scout a given house so many times with the second account (death means a chill for 24 hours).

This makes more sense for the Purple text, at first I thought I had to do something to become brave to enter those rooms.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Currently, the "true" top house list pretty much matches the top 8 seen in the game (there are a few houses being edited and robbed).

One top player has had his house checked out for edit for 3 hours.  I'm going to figure out how to deal with that soon.

3 hours would be brutal lol perhaps force a 10 second chill after a house has been robbed or perhaps a choice of a waiting queue for the owner forcing them to join as soon as the robber leaves/fails/succeeds.

#9 2014-01-26 20:08:32

jere

I think I was just hit with two dupes. Fortunately, they both died. What clued me in was the second person brought exactly the tools that the first person used during their robbery, even though that person how brought a ridiculous amount more. I could even see someone having more than two accounts. Practically speaking, it'd be very easy to make back the $8/account with returns from the contest.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#10 2014-01-28 02:56:11

Suedeo

Hi, I'm brand new to this game and learning as much as I can.

There seem to be a lot of incentives for a player to have more than one account...  one for recon/experimentation/taking risks and the other to clean up big scores and basically enjoy a vastly reduced risk of death thanks to intel purchased with the blood of their disposable clone.

That kind of advantage over other players seems pretty unfair to me.  Is it cheating?

What you are building is dangerous.

#11 2014-01-28 03:21:46

tayfun

well, as the contest is over, I don't think anyone will buy multiple accounts. Unless they are greedy about being a top player.

#12 2014-01-28 11:39:48

RockyBst

Actually, I'm intending to buy a second account with my winnings. Not as a mule, but for the sole purpose of letting me indulge both my massive trap building, death tape watching side and the side that wants to try to break stuff with just the beginner tool stack.

#13 2014-01-28 12:02:23

iceman
Website

I just had an idea of a great "Stay away" design, but one that requires a second account... hmmmm... should I do it?

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#14 2014-01-28 12:20:15

ZenRose

Once you have an okay house the key design feature is to make it so the you need >$2000 tools to learn much about it.  This means that an alt can scout, but not far and may learn some things but not enough to make a fully informed decision about the level or risk or the tools required.
With that design parameter accomplished the next design stage is to reduce the likelihood of lucky bumbling.  There are many ways to do this, magic dance for example.   I think that scouting with alts can be abused but no more so than playing cooperativly with a friend and the benefits of alts can be minimized through good design.

Thoughts?

Board footer