The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-27 20:41:15

Zalethon

Scouting and the Community

I don't know that the game's been around long enough for the community to develop its own unspoken etiquette, so I have to ask: where do people stand on high-gamma displays, and taking/cutting together screenshots of houses you're scouting? Yay, nay, gray? (Gray being, I suppose, somewhere in the middle. I liked the rhyme.)

I have an example of the composite screenshots I'm talking about that I'll share once the house is gone, (so as not to ruin someone's game) if anyone doesn't understand what I mean.

#2 2014-01-27 20:56:29

kiranearitachi

Re: Scouting and the Community

i just got the game on friday and didnt know people were doing these things. I was just taking notes on a text file on combo lock orders and paths

#3 2014-01-27 21:23:25

iceman
Website

I don't like high gamma displays, even though they've been nerfed (lol), but I'm fine with posting screenshots together.  I actually used to record my gameplay(on twitch, which is pretty safe since no-one watches me =P), so I could go back and look at something if I wanted to, but I didn't use it that much.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2014-01-27 21:54:05

DethBringa

I think the high gamma is frowned upon (at least by me). Screen shotting or recording your target's house from scouting and then using castledraft or similar to map is fine tho.
Thats my opinion.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#5 2014-01-28 15:23:31

Zalethon

I dislike them, as it confers an unfair advantage on those 'in the know,' but I always turn my gamma up when I'm self-testing, just so I can see what they may see. FYI, I've come to believe that those people who come into a house and then walk back and forth a bunch of times before leaving are using high gamma to try and see around corners... (I've noticed that the way objects fade out makes walking back and forth work really well for seeing otherwise invisible things)

Last edited by Zalethon (2014-01-28 15:24:01)

#6 2014-01-28 15:33:40

iceman
Website

It doesn't necessarily have to be high gamma - I've done that with a normal screen, and it lets you see stuff you normally couldn't, or see more at once to get a better picture.  Which reminds me, I found I bug where you could see if a dog was behind a door... I'm going to try to recreate it...

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2014-01-28 16:31:21

largestherb

my monitor has been on default settings since i got it, i used to be able to see a good 4-5 tiles into the shadows very clearly without ramping up the gamma.

i don't know if i was the first person to notice that everyone was seeing things differently, but i think i was the first person to make a thread going 'wait a minute, is this right??' when i noticed that my laptop could barely see one tile inside the shadow.

i noticed last night, my first time playing the game in a good few months (hooray for personal issues), that there seems to be a little bit of a ghost when pets are moving in sync with you behind a layer of wall. for 1 or 2 moves after they have just gone out of view, you can still see a little bit of doggy shadow lingering.

i'll see if i can take some pictures to demonstrate this quickly.

edit: ahh i think i figured it out, it is the dog shadow taking time to fade out, and i just play very quickly and thought it was just per-movement.

1iobuYY.png R0vKxOS.png Dl4rPy3.png

and if you can't see the dogge shadow then it is my monitor being super gamma by default again tongue

Last edited by largestherb (2014-01-28 16:39:11)

#8 2014-01-28 22:23:09

iceman
Website

I think that's the same thing I was talking about - I can't see it through the walls in your picture, so I'm guessing that's because of high gamma, but it fairly obvious when the dog moves behind a door quickly.

#9 2014-01-29 03:40:46

largestherb

ahh! doors! that is what i was seeing the other night. yes yes!

Board footer