The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-28 18:13:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Server offline right now

So... I need to make ONE simple little change on the server.... but for anyone making edits, it will break their edits (and potentially kill them if they are in the middle of a self-test.

I've been waiting for TWO hours now after shutting down the server for people to clear out, and there are still two active players left.

I've emailed them...  still waiting.

Sorry, everyone.

#2 2014-01-28 18:27:14

Messofanego

Re: Server offline right now

Is this why we can't play the game right now?

#3 2014-01-28 18:32:18

iceman
Website

Ah, I was wondering why it's been down for so long.  I had just finished taping a redo of my lucky escape (I finished it, but decided to just write it instead).  As I stood in front of my safe, I was extremely relieved that I didn't die while recreating my survival story - the irony would've killed me.  I took the last step to the safe, and then.... "The server is down for maintenance"

I'm probably dead now.

The irony kills me.

Oh well, I was kinda planning on dying in Thomas's house during a non brute-forcing robbery, so I guess I can still do that big_smile I just realized during my scouting trips that I had seen that house before, so I'm pretty sure I know how to get past the first few obstacles - the rest of the house should be fun big_smile

EDIT: Hey, look, I'm not dead!!!! Oh wait.... uhhhh, ukuko, just ignore the above paragraph, ok?

Last edited by iceman (2014-01-28 18:40:36)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2014-01-28 18:39:14

Nilin

Ah thanks for keeping us posted, peeked in now and seems to be back up.. made changes to my layout so hope it saves now!

#5 2014-01-28 23:13:10

joshwithguitar

iceman: why not just use recordGame files to create the replays?

#6 2014-01-29 01:25:34

RockyBst

You probably know this already but for future reference, when you get all that lovely lucre from steam sales, the solution is a load balancer and two servers. Drain one node of all its players, leave the other up. Make your change. Bring that node back up, take the other down. No interruption in service for the players.

#7 2014-01-29 01:56:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah... I don't know!  The game runs on one monolithic MySQL database, and there are loads of transaction issues there (only one person can have a house checked out at a given time, etc.

So, if I had two concurrent servers running, everything would fall out of sync.

ANYWAY, v31 offers a major improvement in this department... it supports notification mid-game that the server is trying to shutdown, so pretty much everyone will clear out, and I won't have to wait for hours.

It also supports custom shutdown messages (like, "Hey, it will be back online in 5 minutes...")

#8 2014-01-29 11:44:07

DethBringa

That is awesome! Good job.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

Board footer