The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 13:03:35

Zalethon

Wacky Deaths

I hate dying stupidly, but it's kind of fun to watch other people die stupidly in my house...

In a recent house, Roy Sherman Weir came in with a bunch of tools, and started drugging dogs and cutting through walls only to die by standing on a trap door and shorting out its power source...

What's the best way someone's died in your house?

#2 2014-01-26 13:12:35

iceman
Website

Re: Wacky Deaths

Zalethon wrote:

I hate dying stupidly, but it's kind of fun to watch other people die stupidly in my house...

In a recent house, Roy Sherman Weir came in with a bunch of tools, and started drugging dogs and cutting through walls only to die by standing on a trap door and shorting out its power source...

What's the best way someone's died in your house?

I've had only one "serious" attempt at my safe, but his death wasn't stupid - it was a calculated move on my part =P  However, I have had some (understatement) idiotic deaths.  My favorite recent one was where somebody was showing off their safe behind a couple of electric grids.  There were a couple of hallways to either side, where it was completely obvious that there were pets about to press buttons to turn on the grids.  I KNEW that, but I also could see that I just needed to break 2 grids to get to the safe.  So I bought 2 wire cutters, triggered the trap, cut one of the grids... and realized that the other would be powered if I took a step.  I kicked myself pretty hard for not thinking of that =P

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-01-26 13:20:24

DethBringa

Someone came into my house and saw the battery-sticky switch-trapdoor that I have right beside the door. They walked up to it not stepping on the switch and proceeded to destroy the circuit by cutting the wires out of the walls and frying the battery. Then they stood on the button to close the trapdoor to walk past. Funnily enough it stayed a pit (since they had fried the battery). After walking back a forth a heap of times they threw themselves into the pit dying. They could have walked back out the entrance/exit which was only about 2-3 steps away.
The worst thing is.... this has happened with more than 1 person.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#4 2014-01-26 15:28:09

SomeGuyNamedDavid

Many people coming into my house have walked right up to a wife who'll be picking up a shotgun in her next move, including, at the most, someone with an 11.2k bounty. And this is right past the entrance, too.

#5 2014-01-26 15:38:48

joshwithguitar

Oh god, the stupid deaths. It seems that all you need to make a house that kills half the people that enter is:
- a regular pit near the door for them to fall in.
- a pit bull standing after a pit with a cat in it for them to be eaten by.

I can't tell you how many people have entered my houses with no tools and jumped straight into my pit or ran straight up into my dog. It's always a bit sad when you build an ingenious death trap and it kills far less people than the pit near the entrance.

#6 2014-01-26 15:50:01

SomeGuyNamedDavid

I recently got myself a slightly different kind of death. I didn't realize that even just a kid dying will save house damage, so I let someone tear through my destroyed house and claim the last of my money.

#7 2014-01-26 16:10:33

Zalethon

joshwithguitar wrote:

I can't tell you how many people have entered my houses with no tools and jumped straight into my pit or ran straight up into my dog. It's always a bit sad when you build an ingenious death trap and it kills far less people than the pit near the entrance.

Right?? I'll put a clever, hard-to-spot commit gate at the front, to force them into my maze of horrors, and then once they realize they're trapped, they just try to run back out through the (pitbull-laden) gate rather than see if they can make it through...

#8 2014-01-26 16:21:02

SomeGuyNamedDavid

Here's one that doesn't exactly claim the title of "wacky death". I just recently found a maze-style house with only few traps, and decided to scout through farther than usual since I had basically nothing to lose. I passed through a simple plate-and-zapper commit gate, soon after realizing everything past it was dead ends. I began eyeing the Suicide button before realizing they used a toggle plate on their commit gate, so I just walked right back out. Some more exploring and evasion of a shotgun wife later, I made it to the vault tool-less for a very minor cash gain. I imagine that's a mistake they'll never make again after watching that tape.

Last edited by SomeGuyNamedDavid (2014-01-26 16:22:04)

#9 2014-01-26 17:08:33

Garcian

Some guy went into my house, messed up and couldn't get across my powered pitfall, and instead of leaving safe and sound, he walked into the pitfall. =s

Last edited by Garcian (2014-01-26 17:08:46)

#10 2014-01-27 14:14:22

DethBringa

Just had someone enter my house, walk into the chihuahua trap and throw a brick onto the pressure plate killing themselves.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#11 2014-01-27 14:20:28

Blip

I have had multiple people stand on a powered pit and fry an electric floor supplying power to said pit. They had no way to survive anyway... but really? Come on, that's just too stupid.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#12 2014-01-27 16:31:35

SomeGuyNamedDavid

Blip wrote:

I have had multiple people stand on a powered pit and fry an electric floor supplying power to said pit. They had no way to survive anyway... but really? Come on, that's just too stupid.

Well, I guess there's still that slim chance that the electric floor isn't the only power link. Plus, it denies you one extra tool in a sort of last act of spite.

#13 2014-01-27 16:33:15

ukuko

It's just a classier way to go

#14 2014-01-27 16:39:40

RockyBst

Someone just came into my house with 8 saws, 2 pistols, 14 meat, 17 water, 20 clubs, 4 bricks and 2 wirecutters.

Chopped through one wall, drugged a pitbull then stepped on it. Dead in 22 steps for a net gain of ~8k.

Who wants to own up to that one? wink

#15 2014-01-27 16:43:10

SomeGuyNamedDavid

ukuko wrote:

It's just a classier way to go

Not going down without a fight and all that. I'd do the same thing, although if my death is assured and I'm tool-less, I opt for the honorable seppuku, in order to send them a message of "well done, you win" rather than a message of "oops". A bit like resigning a Chess game.

Last edited by SomeGuyNamedDavid (2014-01-27 16:43:33)

#16 2014-01-27 17:02:47

DethBringa

Wonder if you are one of the ones that has done that in my house. I've only had a couple do that. Most people just accept they are dead and walk into what ever trap they are faced with.

I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#17 2014-01-27 17:37:39

iceman
Website

The last 3 people who have tried robbing my house just ran straight onto a powered grid, no stopping or turning around... huh

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#18 2014-01-28 15:58:14

Zalethon

This isn't exactly wacky, but someone just walked into my house, stayed on the door mat for at least a good five minutes, (I was trying to get in) and then committed suicide, never having moved once...

#19 2014-01-28 15:59:19

jere

That happens when they have a disconnect Zalethon.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#20 2014-01-28 18:48:18

ZenRose

My condolences go out to the family of Wayne Keith Hernandez.  He must have struck it rich quick and it all went to his head.  There is no other explanation for the fortune of tools he carried with him which accompanied his relativly insignificant $2700 bounty.

He entered my house with 90 saws, 35 treat, 6 explosives, 12 clubs, 20 wire cutters, 3 ladders, 30 water, and 2 guns (a total purchase price of $66700).  In 156 steps of devastation later he died still holding 82 saws, 34 treat, 6 explosives, 9 clubs, 15 wire cutters, 3 ladders, 29 water, and 0 guns (a total purchase price of $58600).  While it is impressive that he managed to spend $52 per step I feel that he must have been disappointed to die so early in his odyssey into my humble house. 

As consolation, should his next of kin read this, I would like to mention that nobody has ever survived the room that he perished in (someone came close once); although he did have all the information that he needed to make some lifesaving observations.

Aside:  Can anyone tell me if there is a way to capture/record/save the replay?  The best thought I've come up with so far is to screen shot each frame and sew it together into a gif.  Is there a better way?  I'd like to start saving some of the best robbery tapes.

#21 2014-01-28 18:54:16

iceman
Website

You could use something like OBS or FFsplit to record your screen, then play the reply while you're recording it.

#22 2014-01-28 19:16:58

iceman
Website

Ok, time to add my own to this - I was trying to do a low-cost robbery of Thomas's house, just for the exitement of not just blasting through everything.  I got to a point where I realized that I had destroyed the only way of progressing, so I started studying everything to find out how to get there without tools.  At the very end, I thought something was powered by a clock, so I walked left and right quickly... only to accidentally click twice and step on a dog XD

Apparantly, I had a 20k ish bounty on my head...

#23 2014-01-29 00:31:38

ukuko

It's ok someone came in shortly after with $379600 worth of tools. I guess they robbed mccoy?

#24 2014-01-29 07:45:08

ZenRose

Congratulations ukuko.  You are the first person to successfully rob Mr. Mccoy.  You also showed me several ways to improve the house design that I will implement whenever I get up the gumption to bring the house back online after the trashing you gave it.  I wish that I had put my safe one trap further into the house. 

The safes current location was merely supposed to be a decoy which would have made the actual safe un-assailable (I think) depending on your remaining tools but I had spent 2 hours on my post-competition edits already and the 'safety version' self tests were taking for ever to do I called it good enough finally went to bed.

When I checked the house list some time after you robbed my I couldn't find any houses bulging with >$400,000 or your robbers name.  I hope there was no untimely demise of the servers richest player.

#25 2014-01-29 09:07:55

ukuko

I don't think it was me, ZenRose. Someone wrecked my house with an ungodly amount of tools which I presume they got from robbing you.

Board footer