The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-28 15:25:28

SnakeAes

Watching live / semi-live feed of burglary?

Is there any chance a feed addon could be implemented where we could pay an up front cost (say $1000 for even round numbers), to "set up" live cameras in our house instead of recorded cameras.

Then, if our house is being robbed, and we happen to try to go back at the time it's being robbed, we can watch the robber's attempt in real time? Perhaps even with a notification to the robber, something that doesn't materially affect gameplay but sort of like "You are being watched" or "The house owner is watching you" to add a little bit of extra intimidation factor?

---
勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。
"Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

#2 2014-01-28 15:37:55

setz
Website

Re: Watching live / semi-live feed of burglary?

I like this idea as long as there are NO other incentives besides being able to watch the person rob your house. And I think that security cameras do fit in with the overall aesthetic of the game BUT since in real life if you were watching your cameras and saw someone robbing your house you would call the cops and not just watch someone rob you. So I think that for that reason this wont ever come to happen in CastleDoc. This game revolves its mechanics around real life scenarios that Jason has written alot about in the past. I like the idea but think it would take away overall from the aesthetic Jason is going for?

#3 2014-01-28 15:41:51

RockyBst

I really like the idea actually, although I'm not sure it's technically feasible. I don't believe the client sends the keys to the server in real time, I think it just sends the whole list for validation once the robber has died, left or completed.

Would be cool to see though, I always wonder how long players are standing there deliberating a certain choice. Whether they mis-key and jump into that pit, or consider it a long time before doing so.

#4 2014-01-28 15:44:18

jere

Think for a moment how disturbing the current "You are currently being robbed" message is. Don't want to change that do we?

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2014-01-28 15:47:50

pwhelan

As far as I know, watching the other person rob your house in real-time would require quite a change in the client-server architecture. If there were a new peer-2-peer protocol for viewing the robber in realtime it might be feasible without overloading the main server but I definitely think that such a new feature would be best to implement later rather than sooner. If not done properly it could be abused to spy in on anyone.

#6 2014-01-28 15:56:50

Zalethon

I want to watch robberies in real time too... I agree that it shouldn't change game mechanics, but I don't think that just observing would change them -- although it does remove the little time you spend out of the house watching recorded tapes, during which many robberies may take place...

#7 2014-01-28 16:23:23

largestherb

i wish i had streamed last night's mayhem on twitch, had some crazy robberies and it is a shame that nobody gets to see those!

#8 2014-01-28 19:50:34

DethBringa

That would be one hell of an overhaul to get that working. Would absolutely love it though. Especially the fact that they would know I am watching every move they make.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#9 2014-01-28 23:18:45

joshwithguitar

largestherb: why not make a recording from playing back the recordGame files if you wanted people to see them?

#10 2014-01-28 23:22:44

SnakeAes

When the game records a movement, couldn't it just essentially relay it to the owner of the house who is watching? So you start watching a "tape" where you receive the steps one at a time as they're made.

I wish I could see how some of the burglars squirm at my traps! Like if they contemplate beforehand or just charge in.

---
勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。
"Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

#11 2014-01-29 03:37:11

largestherb

joshwithguitar wrote:

largestherb: why not make a recording from playing back the recordGame files if you wanted people to see them?

oh it isn't the same at all. i began screeching and moving like sonic the hedgehog once i saw the sirens were blaring!

the replays are nice to have, but they lose a lot of the emotion conveyed through how fast you are moving

#12 2014-01-29 10:41:25

colorfusion

I think this would be great, but Jason said in the past that there's no real way to make it work. It's a shame, it would be incredible to watch your traps being activated in real time, it would somewhat solve the annoyance of being locked out, and there'd be a lot of tension hoping that they player doesn't get through.

#13 2014-01-29 11:25:25

iceman
Website

If he ever decides to send every move to the server to prevent cheating, this would actually be possible (at the cost, of course, of lag while robbing houses).

Actually, reading further, it seems like the lag in the anti-cheat case would come from waiting to get all of the tiles you can see.  If the client just sent the moves to the server, there wouldn't be lag, but you'd have a realtime record of robberies... (I'm speculating, of course, since I don't know exactly how it's set up)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer