The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 21:04:22

iceman
Website

Random Discussion

I figured there should be some sort of thread for something that you want to say, but don't feel like making a new thread for.

To start us off, I just discovered a new pasttime - chain robbing.  Basically, you start a new life, rob a 5k house.  If you're successful, spend ALL the money on tools and rob a 10k house.  Keep on doing that until you die!  I just got through 3 houses, then got eaten by a pit bull when sawing through a wall (in a 53k house, that is now 66 thanks to my tools).  At least now I know which direction is wrong - I've been wanting to rob that particular house for a while =P

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2014-01-29 21:21:04

Blip

Re: Random Discussion

I rarely succeed in chain robbing. I'll normally reach about $15,000 - $25,000 houses before either dying or giving up. I find it much more satisfying to build evil deathtraps, which I then,in a sort of sociopathic way, assign names. In my current house, many have made it past the Doggy Door of Death, and some even through the Inexplicable Inverter (not really very inexplicable at all), but nobody has finished the house by solving the Catbination Lock (tm) and thus making their way through the Inexplicabeler Non-Inverter safely.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#3 2014-01-29 21:23:29

Ludicrosity

I just started playing this game again yesterday after a several month hiatus, and I have to say that chain robbing is really addictive. big_smile

I just finished knocking out the entire front page of top houses (at least, all the ones that were visible to me, i.e. not editing their houses). I was careful to kill all family, shoot all dogs, ladder over every pit, and blow down every wall, so they likely won't be back. I did die in one house while I was literally standing adjacent to their vault due to slipping and hitting "right" instead of of "up" on the keyboard by accident. Their house value went up to around $360,000 after that, I guess due to my bounty. I think they must have died themselves though, because they vanished from the list and some other house later on suddenly had around $460,000.

One thing I have noticed is that after a few hours of mindless robbing and destruction, you just start to get careless... After I died, I was somehow able to get up and going again and robbed my way back up to the $100,000 houses. I died again a couple hours later. This time by running into a dog as I walked down a corridor. I had already cleared a path to the vault, killed the wife, and knocked out most of their stuff, so I wasn't expecting anymore dogs. I thought I had killed them and was just running down the corridor without paying any attention.

What is apparent is that once you rob a house worth ~ $70,000 you can just load up on so many tools that no house stands a chance. When you barge in with 30 of everything no possible defenses are enough. I probably shouldn't say this now that I just died and am no longer at the top, but it seems like - given that this is the case - the best strategy is to play "king of the hill" and simply use all your money robbing the next richest guy. Over and over, until no one is left. Because so long as there is just one guy out there with ~$60,000 or more he could come destroy your house. Oddly, it doesn't seem like this is really how it's playing out. But I don't know, because I've only been playing today and yesterday, so others' input would be interesting.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2014-01-29 21:26:31)

#4 2014-01-29 21:27:12

jere

SWAIN.

IT'S YOU.

Good job on upsetting the balance there buddy. smile

Oddly, it doesn't seem like this is really how it's playing out. But I don't know, because I've only been playing today and yesterday, so others' input would be interesting.

I can say that during the contest (which ended Monday) there was a lot less incentive to blow a bunch of tools on a chance to rob a top house. It was risky, pissed off others, and put a huge target on your back. Not so much now.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-29 21:30:26)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2014-01-29 22:04:33

Ludicrosity

jere wrote:

SWAIN.

IT'S YOU.

You can take comfort in knowing I'm dead now though. smile I lost a nice (and very expensive) house too, oh well!

jere wrote:

I can say that during the contest (which ended Monday) there was a lot less incentive to blow a bunch of tools on a chance to rob a top house. It was risky, pissed off others, and put a huge target on your back. Not so much now.

Ok, I can see that. So during the contest... was there a high turnover rate for top houses? About how long did people tend to stay on the front page? Back when I last played (sometime in late July or early August I think?) people with top houses would sit around FOREVER. I still remember that one guy whose entire house was nothing but solid concrete with a long corridor of pit-traps winding all the way around to his vault... (curse him! tongue)

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2014-01-29 22:04:58)

#6 2014-01-29 22:29:35

arieltonglet

iceman wrote:

I figured there should be some sort of thread for something that you want to say, but don't feel like making a new thread for.

hah, thanks!
I should have thought this. I even thought about posting this to the "tips" thread but it didn't sound nice..
Anyway, today -by chance- I found out that tango (or, even better, Gotan Project) is quite a nice soundtrack for watching your security tapes. Particularly when it involves pitbull chases wink

Here: http://youtu.be/nTyZMPpBL00
The beat of this one almost perfectly syncs with the "normal play" steps

#7 2014-01-29 22:32:56

jere

I'm not sure because I was coming up from nothing to being near the top almost every single day and then dying and starting over. It seemed to be pretty stable over the course of a day, but there were a few major robberies at the last minute. I for one didn't want to touch anyone at the top for fear of reprisal.

long corridor of pit-traps winding all the way

Yea.... I was upset to see those go because I loved doing that, but really it was broken. The game is much better for it.

Obviously you came out of nowhere and took out everyone easily. So maybe tools are overpowered now or maybe that should be a real danger. Frankly, I didn't build my house quite as strong as I could have because I was focusing too heavily on getting bounties.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-29 22:35:17)

#8 2014-01-30 12:50:31

ventuswings

Speaking of the complete utter devastation, what happened to the discussion about potentially decreasing the backpack space to 6?

#9 2014-01-30 12:55:29

Turnout8

I'm curious what happened to the million dollar house that was up there most of today! That was nuts. Did the owner die, or is he just editing? EDIT: He's back with $1.2 million. Earl Arthur Willson. Impressive!

Also, I just broke $50k and made it to the top page for the first time! woohoo!

...and uh-oh! *runs off to strengthen defenses*

P.S. Mine is the one with the lighted arrow pointing the way! wink

Last edited by Turnout8 (2014-01-30 13:15:19)

#10 2014-01-30 13:15:00

arakira

I've often been thinking about chain robberies, but I always thought it would not work very well because there were at most just a few houses above 20k$. With the big pool of players we have now, there are lots of 50k to 70k houses, so I had a try this afternoon. Man, once you rob a 50k house, it is just a rollercoaster. Re-invest in tools and brute-force the next neighbour. I think I completely destroyed around 15 houses above 60k in 3 hours (I didn't kill any kid smile). My trip ended in Willson's house, at that moment I already had more than 400k$. Somehow I got bored by the repetitive sequence of throwing a brick/putting a ladder/etc. and felt into a pit. It had been mindless robbing and wrecking havoc for the last 3 hours so I was not even sad or irritated by the loss, I just had a big laugh. But I could have continued endlessly if I hadn't tripped.
Well, thematically it can fit: the richer you are, the easier it is to rob others. But, gameplay-wise, this might be an issue. Any thoughts about this? Maybe increase the price of tools when you get richer/have a long life/murdered people? Rich people pay more taxes after all.

[Edit] Maybe, this situation will be resolved after more players do these chains, or after the new wave of players get some experience. The value of the houses may come down to normal in the end. I saw many 50/60k houses that were overestimated (meaning, quite easy to solve with a few tools). IMO a very well designed, top house should be worth about 40k$.

Last edited by arakira (2014-01-30 13:43:31)

#11 2014-01-30 16:08:21

RestlessBear
Website

So steam release happens and hackers arrive... This guy knew where my safe was. knew the combo. he even knew what hallway to take to get to my vault... He didnt even take a second to look around the rest of my house! there is luck, but this has got to be cheating...

hacks

Guess its time for a new house idea

#12 2014-01-30 16:44:10

largestherb

RestlessBear wrote:

So steam release happens and hackers arrive... This guy knew where my safe was. knew the combo. he even knew what hallway to take to get to my vault... He didnt even take a second to look around the rest of my house! there is luck, but this has got to be cheating...

http://imageshack.com/a/img21/1661/d23l.gif

Guess its time for a new house idea

was this the first time anyone has even been in this house? don't forget that people like to take notes..

arakira wrote:

I've often been thinking about chain robberies, but I always thought it would not work very well because there were at most just a few houses above 20k$. With the big pool of players we have now, there are lots of 50k to 70k houses, so I had a try this afternoon. Man, once you rob a 50k house, it is just a rollercoaster. Re-invest in tools and brute-force the next neighbour. I think I completely destroyed around 15 houses above 60k in 3 hours (I didn't kill any kid smile). My trip ended in Willson's house, at that moment I already had more than 400k$. Somehow I got bored by the repetitive sequence of throwing a brick/putting a ladder/etc. and felt into a pit. It had been mindless robbing and wrecking havoc for the last 3 hours so I was not even sad or irritated by the loss, I just had a big laugh. But I could have continued endlessly if I hadn't tripped.
Well, thematically it can fit: the richer you are, the easier it is to rob others. But, gameplay-wise, this might be an issue. Any thoughts about this? Maybe increase the price of tools when you get richer/have a long life/murdered people? Rich people pay more taxes after all.

[Edit] Maybe, this situation will be resolved after more players do these chains, or after the new wave of players get some experience. The value of the houses may come down to normal in the end. I saw many 50/60k houses that were overestimated (meaning, quite easy to solve with a few tools). IMO a very well designed, top house should be worth about 40k$.

indeed, i stole $50,000 in tools and $25,000 cash with a few bricks and water a moment ago. went on to steamroll through five or six more houses and was getting ready for the next one, when somehow all of my tools ended up in my backpack..
went to the security tape screen but wasn't idle for more than a minute, ah well. the mysteries of life

Last edited by largestherb (2014-01-30 16:46:25)

#13 2014-01-30 16:50:28

RestlessBear
Website

Its the first time anyone has tried to put in a combo. everyone else looks around the rest of my house. plus there is no trial and error in my house, if you try to combo once and its wrong you will die. he came in knowing where everything was he knew the safe was there and not in another room.

#14 2014-01-30 17:58:44

jere

I have to admit, someone knowing that combo is a little suspicious if no one had ever tried it before.

#15 2014-01-30 18:02:28

Sconna

I just stole from the guy with 1.2 mill cash. It was a very very bad idea, can't enter my house from constant robbings and damn...

#16 2014-01-30 18:13:16

joshwithguitar

Looks like you've lost it all smile, serves you right for all of the excess destruction you caused in my house. Luckily I was in the middle of a big robbery at the time so came back with enough money to do my repairs.

I knew that it was only  matter of time before someone robbed me, I'm quite surprised to have survived the night. But it was fun, never seen so much money in a single house before.

Now, where have all of my paintings gone?

#17 2014-01-30 18:16:33

Sconna

Yeah... about those paintings... hmm.

edit1: I don't feel like stealing the vault again : P It was fun to find your vault twice!

Last edited by Sconna (2014-01-30 18:25:13)

#18 2014-01-30 18:33:29

arakira

LOL. Who came in my modest house with 773,500$ (!!!) of tools? Given what's left of my house: http://castledraft.com/editor/jJnOLt, I guess I must have upseted someone... It was funny to watch the guy break almost every single piece of wood and circuitry.

#19 2014-01-30 18:35:23

Sconna

Uuhhh, don't tell josh what I burned his money on.

To Jason: http://gyazo.com/51c7cf7ca8ebe1381cdcb286c775dbd5 This is too overpowered!

Last edited by Sconna (2014-01-30 18:46:56)

#20 2014-01-30 18:42:01

arakira

Was it for revenge? Which one was your house?

#21 2014-01-30 18:44:48

arakira

Well, I'm not sure if this chain robbing idea is that good... it awakes the beast in each of us...

#22 2014-01-30 18:45:38

Sconna

I've died to your house before... But it wasn't because of revenge. I just felt like lower the amount of money flowing around and you were the top player when I looked for targets!

http://i.imgur.com/gMUEH9p.png This was my house.

#23 2014-01-30 18:52:02

arakira

Well, how could you die in my house and come back again with the chills? My house was less than 3 hours old... (I've never been in your house)
If you want to let go some money, you can buy paintings, or buy/sell/buy/sell, etc. your tools. You'll save some time wink

#24 2014-01-30 18:54:02

Sconna

Hmm... Then it wasn't your house, I've seen the same design several times after robbing so many people.

#25 2014-01-30 19:21:26

Blip

Sconna wrote:

To Jason: http://gyazo.com/51c7cf7ca8ebe1381cdcb286c775dbd5 This is too overpowered!

WHAAAAAAT? I'm scared now - people can literally buy enough tools to cut to ANYTHING, ANYWHERE on the map. Nobody is safe... but I guess that's the point. It always sucks to have your trap brute forced, but it's a major part of the game; as Jason said, it's not a puzzle game, and thus, it's not the robber's responsibility to solve your traps if they don't have to.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

Board footer