The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 15:40:39

ortreum

Robbing Bitcoins

What do you think about a mod that connects to a light weight bitcoin wallet. You can put any possible amount in it. $1 real world money are $1000 in-game. If you lose the safe then the bitcoins are sent to the burglar. If the burglar and the owner looses their lifes (if possible) then it is a donation to the programmer.

#2 2014-01-29 16:24:41

Pixelhouse

Re: Robbing Bitcoins

ortreum wrote:

What do you think about a mod that connects to a light weight bitcoin wallet. You can put any possible amount in it. $1 real world money are $1000 in-game. If you lose the safe then the bitcoins are sent to the burglar. If the burglar and the owner looses their lifes (if possible) then it is a donation to the programmer.

Lol while i do mine bitcoins myself and like to see it implemented everywhere the value of the bitcoin is waaaay to much, also not really fair because i guess only 1% of the players who play this game might have bitcoins, so people get rewarded when they rob you but your not get rewarded when you rob them..

IF it would be implemented and this probably would never happen, i would suggest a bitcoin design house made by Jason and if you die while trying to rob it you lose some amount, and if you reach the vault of family members you get payed out in bitcoins.

#3 2014-01-29 17:33:17

iceman
Website

I've thought about it (well, just normal money), and it would definitely be interesting!  The thing is, as Jason has said, you can actually do it!!!  Just set up your own server, and maybe your own version of the game, and you can charge people money/bitcoins for every life big_smile  That's the great thing about being open source wink

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2014-01-29 17:40:23

Someguy

>Lol while i do mine bitcoins myself and like to see it implemented everywhere the value of the bitcoin is waaaay to much

Use Dogecoins? smile

#5 2014-01-29 18:05:07

jere

The big problem would be too much incentive to cheat. The game would have to change to a completely different model where the server was pinged on every single move. It would take some rewriting and the end result would be more costly and laggy. But it would be possible.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#6 2014-01-30 06:33:52

Pixelhouse

Someguy wrote:

>Lol while i do mine bitcoins myself and like to see it implemented everywhere the value of the bitcoin is waaaay to much

Use Dogecoins? smile

Why use dogecoins when you can still use the value of dogecoins in bitcoins? I think more people have bitcoins then dogecoins.
But however i also mined altcoins so i do have dogecoins also tongue.

#7 2014-01-30 10:12:29

colorfusion

Someguy wrote:

Use Dogecoins? smile

Bitcoins can be split up into up to 6 decimal places, you don't have to trade a whole bitcoin at a time.

#8 2014-01-30 11:14:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, a pay-per-life server, where you get to steal real money 24-7 and cash out, is something I've thought about.

HOWEVER, you're right about the cheating incentive being huge at that point.  People could make a living by playing the game... and as soon as that's possible, well... everything would need to happen server-side.

I am super interested in that kind of game dynamic.  However, I don't think I'd do that with this game.  I'd build a game from the ground up around that concept, and do everything on the server.  Obviously, it would have to be turn-based on a longer time scale to make it work.

The problem with this game is that, during a robbery, you want to MOVE quickly and fluidly.  You don't want to wait 10 or 5 or even 1 second to make a move.  During peak server load times, the delays can be about like that!

Of course, it has something to do with the server architecture (where every client "move" is an HTTP request that makes a MySQL query and so on).  In a slower turn-based game, that would be fine, though!

(For this game, you'd really need to keep a socket open to each client to make robbery moves as fast as possible, which is fragile and bug-prone, etc...  but on a slower turn-based game, like Clairvoyance, you could stick with the robust HTTP/MySQL server.)

Board footer