The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-01-27 00:35:29

haln

Re: Why Rampant Sales are Bad for Players

I just wanted to say, that I bought the game on a whim when I found out about the Steal Real Money contest, but ended up enjoying the game far more than I would have expected. I absolutely don't mind the pricing model you want to go for. Truthfully, I think rampant sales are bad too, although I totally love getting the discounts. People are expecting more for less with the sales craze, and while it's probably good for old games that could very well never have sold another copy, it's killing me seeing the discounts on new games consistently.

#52 2014-01-27 14:30:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, it sounds like you do really have an interesting perspective!

I've just been watching what has been happening mostly from the outside.  Of course, some of my close friends are now millionaires because of Steam sales, so I have seen that first hand.

You're right about the value-add.  Something like 2000 people bought the game because of the contest, and the game is much better for all those additional players right now (so they're adding value to each other, too, through network effects).

I'll be thinking about more stuff like this in the future.

#53 2014-01-30 13:31:03

DrPompo

Hey, i just bought the game and would like to give you my thoughts on this which can serve as feedback from how other customers might also feel. I saw the game on steam yesterday and immediately fell in love with the idea. I wondered around for a while watching lets plays while i thought about buying it. i don't usually spend much money on games (for personal reasons) and think if i should or shouldn't buy a game quite obsessively. my initial thought was that the price was a bit high and i should maybe wait for a sale (considering perhaps there would never be one), but at the end, the excitement i felt for trying out the game won and i decided that whether i liked it or not i just had to give it a try and 12$ was actually a really fair price to pay and contribute to the person who made a great game. (and its been awesome so far)

i think the model you present is very interesting as it pushes interested people into making that final decision to buy and i appreciate your sentiment of not wanting to trick customers into buying things they dont want. however, maybe you should consider (im not saying that you must, just that its something to consider) in the future doing a few 20% discounts for people who might get a kick out of that but isnt such a big discount that attracts uninterested people into just buying and not playing.

well, thank you anyways for reading and for making a great game!

#54 2014-01-30 22:37:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

That's a reasonable suggestion... only small sales!  I mean, the trend these days are 80% discounts!

However, I've gone on the record with this promise, and there has been so much news about me doing that, that I need to stay the course for now, at least for this game.

#55 2014-02-06 19:56:57

dvsmasta

I had to register a forum account to make sure everyone knew, Democracy 3 just went on sale for 50% off this weekend on steam.  After reading the long article from the developer about why he would never discount his game, it sure makes me wonder.  From $24.99 to $12.99  I think i will go ahead and buy it.  I would never buy it for $24.99  Steam has spoiled me with sales.  I generally buy a game i might enjoy for 50-66% off.  A game i would enjoy that is more than 66% off is a must buy.

#56 2014-03-21 08:24:30

jearr

Just read an article linked from Kotaku where developer Cliff Harris makes a similar but less polished argument about the negative effect of sales.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/0 … yed-games/

#57 2016-01-17 17:00:49

chocolateTthunder

so what about say a few years down the road to a customer who loves the idea of the game and against opposing reviews decides to purchase the game. but there are so few people around i can only rob 3 millionaires or 3 50$ houses. I get an attempted robbery twice a day by the same person and i catch 3 people a week. i am in love with the mechanics and the way the game plays. but there is no one at this point to enjoy this game with.   http://steamcharts.com/app/249570#48h what do you have to loose. If not, ok. I have read all about this game and you are on record as to never run a sale. And how it is totally open source and all. But could it hurt?

#58 2016-01-24 05:03:00

StefanLindskog

so what about say a few years down the road to a customer who loves the idea of the game and against opposing reviews decides to purchase the game. but there are so few people around i can only rob 3 millionaires or 3 50$ houses. I get an attempted robbery twice a day by the same person and i catch 3 people a week. i am in love with the mechanics and the way the game plays. but there is no one at this point to enjoy this game with.   http://steamcharts.com/app/249570#48h what do you have to loose. If not, ok. I have read all about this game and you are on record as to never run a sale. And how it is totally open source and all. But could it hurt?

The subject of a sale has been up time and again. Jason is firm in his answer every time. No. No. No.

However... Cullman is creating a new version of the game - a reskin, if you will. It will run on Android and iOS as well as the PC, if I've understood correctly. Cullman is doing this in his spare time, funding it himself and all. As far as I understand, he's currently working towards making it a Steam Greenlight title now. And... I think he will allow sales.

This game was awesome in Q1 of 2014. Not so much since. I mean, of course it continues to be awesome in how it works. The problem, as you so correctly put it yourself, is the attendance. smile

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#59 2016-06-29 07:39:11

LordSora

I admire your post. But you were proven wrong. Sorry! sad

#60 2016-09-10 12:28:03

nathan

LordSora wrote:

I admire your post. But you were proven wrong. Sorry! sad

kinda true tbh

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#61 2016-12-24 06:54:41

indjev99

I found out about the game last year and was about to buy it since it seemed really cool. However, then I read the reviews and it turns out there are almost no players. I looked trough YouTube to see gameplay and there were no videos from the last year (or maybe one or two I don't remember). So, yeah, this idiotic model is what made me (and probably many others) not buy the game.

#62 2016-12-29 01:13:53

mala

indjev99 wrote:

I found out about the game last year and was about to buy it since it seemed really cool. However, then I read the reviews and it turns out there are almost no players. I looked trough YouTube to see gameplay and there were no videos from the last year (or maybe one or two I don't remember). So, yeah, this idiotic model is what made me (and probably many others) not buy the game.

one of our fellow neighbors is working on a space themed remake of the game, check it out
http://terminalheist.com

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

Board footer