The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-30 19:33:52

Nilyari

Re: Random Discussion

You missed a spot wink

It does seem like there could be inflation/critical mass issues when you can constantly respawn with 2k and leave straight away with tools.  I have not had a serious attempt at my house yet and it's killed 100 people since I started building it.  However, you can't really scale prices to the current economy because that would price people out of the competition.

I know in the early stages of the alpha, a limited toolset made houses impossible.  But I suppose in a way the unlimited backpack fits with the theme in the darkest sense.  While it is not cost effective to bring a tank to rob an apartment, it doesn't mean someone wouldn't do it.... and then what good would a few pit bulls do?

#27 2014-01-30 20:49:43

Ludicrosity

arakira wrote:

Man, once you rob a 50k house, it is just a rollercoaster. Re-invest in tools and brute-force the next neighbour. I think I completely destroyed around 15 houses above 60k in 3 hours (I didn't kill any kid smile). My trip ended in Willson's house, at that moment I already had more than 400k$. Somehow I got bored by the repetitive sequence of throwing a brick/putting a ladder/etc. and felt into a pit. It had been mindless robbing and wrecking havoc for the last 3 hours so I was not even sad or irritated by the loss, I just had a big laugh. But I could have continued endlessly if I hadn't tripped.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was talking about, haha. You describe it perfectly, especially how you just get numb from the repetitive clicking of ladders/saws/bombs/etc. tongue

arakira wrote:

LOL. Who came in my modest house with 773,500$ (!!!) of tools? Given what's left of my house: http://castledraft.com/editor/jJnOLt, I guess I must have upseted someone... It was funny to watch the guy break almost every single piece of wood and circuitry.

Holy...

Sconna wrote:

Uuhhh, don't tell josh what I burned his money on.

To Jason: http://gyazo.com/51c7cf7ca8ebe1381cdcb286c775dbd5 This is too overpowered!

That's some dedication. It must have taken at least an hour to level that place!

#28 2014-01-30 23:54:46

Turnout8

Well, the latest edit of my house killed 69 robbers before succumbing to John James Eastwood's brute force attack with over $27k in tools. I'm more upset that I lost my Sky painting, though! At least it appears Eastwood is no more, since I can't find his house and the painting is back up for auction. Serves him right.

smile

#29 2014-01-31 11:32:44

arieltonglet

aand thats it. You just stay some hours away and it's gone xD
After a few days my house killed 163 poor souls (out of 206 tapes), and the vault had around 75k
Not much, but I was still pretty happy with it, as it was my second house

Then Mr. Coston stormed in with 168k in tools. Weird in the end, because even if all the tools was from another houses's safes, it would still be something like 85k in tools for a 75k house (and by the end he still had 60 waters and some other stuff)

At least he was the only one to find my "ohai" room

#30 2014-01-31 12:16:10

arakira

arieltonglet wrote:

Then Mr. Coston stormed in with 168k in tools. Weird in the end, because even if all the tools was from another houses's safes, it would still be something like 85k in tools for a 75k house

Your house may be listed as a 75k house, but actually it may contain the equivalent of up to 150k of fresh new tools. And, generally, wealthy houses have A LOT of tools in the vault (maybe 80%?). So in the end, it is almost always lucrative to storm a "75k" house with more than 75k of tools.

#31 2014-01-31 13:22:42

arieltonglet

arakira wrote:

Your house may be listed as a 75k house, but actually it may contain the equivalent of up to 150k of fresh new tools

Oh, that's right! I forgot the resale value of the tools in the vault. Thanks!

#32 2014-01-31 17:03:08

TheRealCheese

I still have not robbed a single house, been playing since a week or so before steam release. Having fun though!
castledoctrine.png

#33 2014-02-13 16:18:52

iceman
Website

You know that feeling when you have the solutions to several top houses through suicide scouting, you plan a crazy house with the $100k you'll have after robbing them, 24 hours finally pass, and then... they're dead?  Yeah, about that....

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#34 2014-02-13 17:07:55

Pandamonium

Sconna wrote:

To Jason: http://gyazo.com/51c7cf7ca8ebe1381cdcb286c775dbd5 This is too overpowered!

The space we get is approx 30x30, meaning 900 spaces for you to use a tool on....
Ummm... Yeah I think there NEEDS to be a cap.
even if it something as arbitrary as total backpack space must be <900.
seriously...

#35 2014-02-14 21:09:26

iceman
Website

Well, I'll have to make do with 30k... thank you, Ryan Arnold Lloyd and David Donald Peterson, for not even changing a *bit* of your house despite me reaching your safe multiple times. (Still no failsafes, colorfusion? =P)

I'm not sure there needs to be a backpack space < 900 limit, since there's no point to even bringing that much!  The only thing that can come of that is SERIOUSLY painting a target on someone's back XD

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#36 2014-02-15 05:52:19

colorfusion

iceman wrote:

Well, I'll have to make do with 30k... thank you, Ryan Arnold Lloyd and David Donald Peterson, for not even changing a *bit* of your house despite me reaching your safe multiple times. (Still no failsafes, colorfusion? =P)

I'm not sure there needs to be a backpack space < 900 limit, since there's no point to even bringing that much!  The only thing that can come of that is SERIOUSLY painting a target on someone's back XD

I put in loads of failsafes with Cardoso after you robbed it, but then died stupidly to my own trap and pretty much copied the basic design over to Lloyd without the failsafes tongue

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-15 05:53:22)

#37 2014-02-15 12:00:23

iceman
Website

Ok, you finally got me =P  I was robbed twice, the first time I robbed the other "safe money" house, and then I tried to rob you.  When I saw the dead dog, I thought it was still broken, so I tried to retreat... but I forget about the commit dog wink And then when I went inside further, I realized that you had actually replaced the dog I had killed earlier, so I actually *could* have solved it! (I think)  Nice fake-out =P

#38 2014-02-15 12:05:41

colorfusion

iceman wrote:

Ok, you finally got me =P  I was robbed twice, the first time I robbed the other "safe money" house, and then I tried to rob you.  When I saw the dead dog, I thought it was still broken, so I tried to retreat... but I forget about the commit dog wink And then when I went inside further, I realized that you had actually replaced the dog I had killed earlier, so I actually *could* have solved it! (I think)  Nice fake-out =P

Haha, I didn't even intend for that to happen. I just left the dead dog to block the alive one and avoid having to buy more the next time someone successfully robs me. I guess I have 24 hours to build some failsafes.

Board footer