The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-30 20:22:32

JoeBlow

Dog placement made me die in Testing

I have a fairly complex and expensive house that has been tested many many times.  I had a dog placed in a very specific spot and it worked...literally about 50 tests.  Then house was robbed and the dog killed.  So I replaced the dog with a Chihuahua to confirm.  It was one spot off...so I moved it and then retested with a missing wall for an escape route and it worked.  So then I am ready to finalize and I block off.  Now the real test...and the dog placement failed!  I am trapped inside and unable to get to the vault...the dog is part of the scheme.  Has this been seen before?  The only thing different is that the dog was facing toward me in the original placement but sideways in the new one.  Does that affect visibility?  If so HOW can you rotate the dog when you put it down???  I am out a huge amount of effort and cash if I can't fix this.  sad

#2 2014-01-30 20:28:08

iceman
Website

Re: Dog placement made me die in Testing

The way the dog is facing doesn't change anything - they always face your general direction (even if they haven't seen you).  I'm sorry, but I think you're toast sad

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-01-30 20:32:01

JoeBlow

That hardly seems fair.  I tested this all last night and used screenshots as well.  I still have them!  Why would it change?  And yes I am POSITIVE that I walked correctly.  I always count the steps and it was off by one on the test that had an escape route.  I adjusted the dog based on that and retested!  Then and only then did I close off the escape route and now it fails!  Is there no way to take a look at the game logs and show this is a real issue?

#4 2014-01-30 20:32:38

arieltonglet

I think pets and family members, both in editing and robbery/self test mode, are always facing the player (you or others). Even if they had not seen you yet

EDIT: except for cats, which are always facing away xD

Last edited by arieltonglet (2014-01-30 20:44:00)

#5 2014-01-30 20:36:42

arieltonglet

Joe, you can import the map from the game files using the instructions on this site
http://castledraft.com/editor/

#6 2014-01-30 20:50:37

JoeBlow

Does this log also show the steps taken and end result?  Because this log has both the correct dog placement map AND the incorrect one.  And I only died on the very last run after I removed the escape route.  My test was successful when I had the escape route but failed when I took it out.  The position of the dog did not change.

#7 2014-01-30 20:51:22

iceman
Website

You can also put the same file from the instructions in the "playback game" folder.  When you launch the game next, it'll play back exactly what happened that life, so you can study it to see what went wrong (if the map doesn't give you an idea).

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-01-30 20:54:06

JoeBlow

Wow.  Is there any way to advance the percentage?  hmm

#9 2014-01-30 21:11:26

joshwithguitar

you can alter the "enableSpeedControlKeys" flag in the game settings. Then you can use the ^, &, *, ( and ) keys to speed recording up. ^ will slow it right down while ) will play it as fast as it can. Even at full speed it can take some time in a long session though. If you have screenshots of the setup that killed you, post them here and we can see what happened.

Board footer