The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-02-02 05:37:14

RockyBst

Re: Suggestions Page

Fairly sure that's already in place.

#52 2014-02-02 08:27:51

iceman
Website

I'm fairly sure that it already works that way - if you leave without completing your first self-test, your house is never on the list.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#53 2014-02-02 08:41:52

sebastian

Nope. I leaved (quitted game) without completing my first self-test (after a respawn).
Later on that day, I found myself with 0$ and my house is robbed and theres a tape of the robbery.

Maybe its like that for new account holder that have a fresh account, but it should also apply for those that have respawned but not completed their first self-test.

If you are inactive and wait a number of minutes, you are kicked out to house list without any self-test. Since the first house needs to be "saved" (even if you do not do any edits to it, it results in a self-test), whatever house do I have Before saving the first house?
Maybe the inactivity limit of the house when being in the house Before first self-test should be also disabled.

Last edited by sebastian (2014-02-02 08:45:10)

#54 2014-02-02 08:47:26

largestherb

if i logout after death, i return to a new house.

#55 2014-02-02 08:55:10

sebastian

Yes a new house. But lets say you logout Before doing your first self test, and then it lapses a couple of hours, lets say 6 hours. Then go back to your new house.
The "Tapes" & Suicide button are Active, you have 0$ in Money, and the Tapes list show a sucessful robbery of 1000$.
(The strange thing is that you lose 2000$ and the robbery sucess with 1000$)

#56 2014-02-02 13:04:39

iceman
Website

I just started a new life, didn't do a self test, and left it alone for 4 hours, and nobody's robbed it.  I'm really not sure what happened in your case.

I did have an vaguely similar issue in a previous life, though - my house was robbed, I came back, and *without completing a self test* I exited the game.  I *thought* that this wouldn't reset my safe, but when I logged back on the same person had robbed me, with no attempted robberies in between.

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#57 2014-02-02 14:30:54

sebastian

Another idea: A history of visited houses, so you can more easly scout and revisit.
Of course, houses that do not exist anymore or is taken off the main list temporarly or permanently, should not be in history either.

#58 2014-02-02 14:42:10

Charlie_Firpo

What about adding the possibility to add a painting you own into the auction process? You would then earn the full/half auction prize the painting will achieve.

#59 2014-02-02 14:43:25

darkkolt

Saving Tapes NEEDS to be an option, some of the deaths are too funny... and then i die and it's all gone..

#60 2014-02-02 15:29:13

arakira

Keyboard shortcuts for selecting house objects! Would be less fastidious than going in the menu all the time (or alt-clicking) when in building mode.

Last edited by arakira (2014-02-02 15:30:55)

#61 2014-02-03 09:30:05

MasterPain

arakira wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts for selecting house objects! Would be less fastidious than going in the menu all the time (or alt-clicking) when in building mode.

I was just going to make this exact same post (registered just now to say that, actually). The current system for house building could be improved in some ways, in my opinion, enough not to make building "too easy" but to speed up the process a little.
For instance:

-Zooming-out function to be able to view the whole map (though I'm not sure Jason would approve of this since it detracts from the "being able to feel like you've locked yourself in" experience)
-Keyboard shortcuts
-Mouse scroll-wheel to cycle between 8 or 10 pre-selected tiles, kind of like Minecraft perhaps? (yeah, I know, this game is mentioned in this forum way too much, but it's just an example)

Any more ideas?

Aside from that, is there any way a Steam user could maybe change his TCD accound login email to his actual email? It would be good to be able to play this on another computer without having to memorize the weird e-mail Steam uses to log me in (and without installing Steam on said computer).

Cheers!

#62 2014-02-03 10:11:53

ukuko

MasterPain wrote:

Aside from that, is there any way a Steam user could maybe change his TCD accound login email to his actual email? It would be good to be able to play this on another computer without having to memorize the weird e-mail Steam uses to log me in (and without installing Steam on said computer).

You should only have to put in the email once in the standalone client and it will be saved.

#63 2014-02-03 10:18:16

MasterPain

ukuko wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

You should only have to put in the email once in the standalone client and it will be saved.

Cool, should've tried that before!
This is a great game to carry around during trips to places with nothing but old computers and 3G internet.

Thanks

#64 2014-02-03 12:19:01

RockyBst

It's been suggested a fair few times before, but long term stat tracking or leaderboards would be one of my most wanted features for the next few releases. You could even do it in classic TF2 style - This life you robbed $40,756, a new record! Get people trying to one up themselves even after they die, and give a bit more of a reason not to rage quit the game.

Also, I just kinda want to know if my current house has closer to 400 or 500 kills tongue

EDIT: Hmm, let's see...

Take her out clubbing - Most wives and children murdered
Dog lover - Largest number of pitbulls (cats are too cheap!)
Griddled - Most electric floors
Master thief - Largest robbery amount (lifetime)
Kleptomaniac - Largest number of robberies
It's a trap - Largest number of trap doors
Structural Integrity - Largest number of steel / concrete walls
Pittance - Largest number of pits
Defend this house - Largest number of dead thieves (wow that's an old reference)
Caring Husband - The most people who have entered your house before the wife is killed
Butcher Bay - Number of players who escaped your house
Persistent - Largest number of times a robber reached your vault before you committed suicide.

You get a score per-life, along with a leaderboard of the all-time greats.

I'm sure you guys can come up with some more.

Last edited by RockyBst (2014-02-03 12:32:25)

#65 2014-02-03 16:40:20

sebastian

One thing that I would want to have, is the possibility to select if I want to commit to house or not, if I reach the vault during a self-test.

So if I do a "fake self-test" (eg I replaced some traps with lights to test), I don't have to replace every commit gate I know its working (used correctly).

Eg:
Reaching door -> Self-test is aborted and you get back to edit mode.
Reaching vault -> A dialog appears: "Do you want to commit to this house"
[Yes] -> House is saved and pushed to list, and you get billed.
[No] -> Self-test is aborted and you get back to edit mode.

Then I only need to non-lethal the trap im currently working on, I don't need to non-lethal all previous traps in house.

Currently, If I non-lethal the trap im currently working on, and find out that it is buggy, If I don't have non-lethal all other traps, im forced to commit to the house (reach the vault) and its billed for the materials. If I then fix the trap, im billed for the materials once more.

#66 2014-02-03 16:44:05

RockyBst

I think the auto-commit is there intentionally. If you're unsure of your house and want to safely test it, well pay up for those 10 powered trap doors you're uninstalling.

#67 2014-02-03 17:10:09

sebastian

One tought I got also: "Pet doors" - a tile which only pets/animals can walk on, and not player/family members.
Can be defeated by Saw, Blowtorch, or Explosive.

Tile could look like a wooden wall with a Square hole Close to "floor" on all 4 sides, and inside the 4 walls around the tile, the inside could look like a tunnel like a +.

Last edited by sebastian (2014-02-03 17:13:08)

#68 2014-02-03 22:01:57

Awpteamoose

Pretty sure somebody suggested this ages ago, but a low-cost tool that would place an impassable block would be great. Those commit gates that release a horde of dogs you have to shoot behind you are worse than combo locks.

#69 2014-02-04 07:16:02

Charlie_Firpo

Please add some kind of 'matchmaking'. Because now with the long list of houses some of the houses get no exposure at all. (the ones with lower money).
At least there should be some categories ordered by wealth like (Top 25 %, Bottom 25 %, Medium houses etc.)

#70 2014-02-04 07:45:38

iceman
Website

Charlie_Firpo wrote:

Please add some kind of 'matchmaking'. Because now with the long list of houses some of the houses get no exposure at all. (the ones with lower money).
At least there should be some categories ordered by wealth like (Top 25 %, Bottom 25 %, Medium houses etc.)

I think he's going to make the default position in the house list based on your wealth, so you'll see houses of similar value instead of 100k houses when you start the game.

#71 2014-02-14 10:13:08

Smegskull

Is a non sticky button plausible? we have switches to toggle on and off and we have a once on stay on button but no button that is only on when stood on. an example for use would be a powered trap-door that will only let you through if some thing is following you or a cat running from you to the button you have to be the correct distance behind it for it to be up when you walk over it

#72 2014-02-14 15:07:04

Gopher

Smegskull wrote:

Is a non sticky button plausible? we have switches to toggle on and off and we have a once on stay on button but no button that is only on when stood on. an example for use would be a powered trap-door that will only let you through if some thing is following you or a cat running from you to the button you have to be the correct distance behind it for it to be up when you walk over it

^^^ this. I've wished for a button that was on only while stood on, turning off when you step off, since my first hour or so playing. I don't know how likely any new components or tools are at this point in the game's life, but Jason, if you decide to add more at any point, pls, this.

Another suggestion, more of a ui tweak, the ability to mark tapes as viewed without actually viewing them, from the list, would be very nice, or even just a "mark all viewed" button if per-tape is too much hassle. I hate going through and "viewing" 20 3-steppers just to un-green them in the list (and obviously, leaving them green is just not an option, because compulsive.)

I suggested it in another thread, but to reiterate it in this collective suggestion thread as well, the option to watch a replay on self-test suicide would have, on a few occasions, greatly reduced my negative frustration levels with the game when I screw up somehow, and doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to implement?

Last edited by Gopher (2014-02-14 15:07:19)

#73 2014-02-14 15:19:07

colorfusion

Gopher wrote:
Smegskull wrote:

^^^ this. I've wished for a button that was on only while stood on, turning off when you step off, since my first hour or so playing. I don't know how likely any new components or tools are at this point in the game's life, but Jason, if you decide to add more at any point, pls, this.

Another suggestion, more of a ui tweak, the ability to mark tapes as viewed without actually viewing them, from the list, would be very nice, or even just a "mark all viewed" button if per-tape is too much hassle. I hate going through and "viewing" 20 3-steppers just to un-green them in the list (and obviously, leaving them green is just not an option, because compulsive.)

I suggested it in another thread, but to reiterate it in this collective suggestion thread as well, the option to watch a replay on self-test suicide would have, on a few occasions, greatly reduced my negative frustration levels with the game when I screw up somehow, and doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to implement?

I think the non-toggle switch were discussed a while back, but it would be too hard to put into the game without majorly changing the state system. Currently things only change when:

• Something steps directly on them

• A tool is used on them

• They receive power

And it wouldn't be easy to have something change when stepped off of. I could be wrong though, can't find the original thread again. Edit: Disregard this.

Mark as viewed doesn't really seem that important, there's not really any reason to have it and it currently only really takes 3 clicks to view the tape then exit back to the list.

You can already watch what happened when you died, although not as an in game tape. Wherever your game is installed, get the latest file from the recordedGames folder and move it into the playbackGame folder then launch the game.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-14 17:13:36)

#74 2014-02-14 15:29:10

Gopher

There could be some reason it's difficult, but as a programmer myself, it's non-obvious why it would be. In any event, my expectation of new build items in the near future is incredibly low.

And yeah, I'm aware of the recordedGames thing. Even editing configs to enable fast forward controls, not always practical, since the recording is for an entire game session and can't be trivially cut into shorter segments because the state of your house is cumulative through the playback, so nothing affecting your house state can be removed.

As for the 3 clicks, I live in a remote area with spotty internet some days. This makes robbing at all on those days highly risky for me in general, nothing to do about that, but even reviewing tapes on those days can be a tiresome process, since the first click says "ask the server for this replay" and, depending on my internet's mood, that can be instantaneous or can time out repeatedly, then it re-loads the list of tapes again after I exit the replay, which again can be instantaneous or time out repeatedly. Not sure my crappy internet is a common enough problem to justify the feature, particularly given it makes fully half of the game virtually unplayable in a non-addressable way, but that's why it seemed important enough to me to suggest, anyway. If nothing else, it would decrease load on the server, which may or may not be an issue, I dunno.

#75 2014-02-14 17:12:10

colorfusion

Gopher wrote:

There could be some reason it's difficult, but as a programmer myself, it's non-obvious why it would be. In any event, my expectation of new build items in the near future is incredibly low.

And yeah, I'm aware of the recordedGames thing. Even editing configs to enable fast forward controls, not always practical, since the recording is for an entire game session and can't be trivially cut into shorter segments because the state of your house is cumulative through the playback, so nothing affecting your house state can be removed.

As for the 3 clicks, I live in a remote area with spotty internet some days. This makes robbing at all on those days highly risky for me in general, nothing to do about that, but even reviewing tapes on those days can be a tiresome process, since the first click says "ask the server for this replay" and, depending on my internet's mood, that can be instantaneous or can time out repeatedly, then it re-loads the list of tapes again after I exit the replay, which again can be instantaneous or time out repeatedly. Not sure my crappy internet is a common enough problem to justify the feature, particularly given it makes fully half of the game virtually unplayable in a non-addressable way, but that's why it seemed important enough to me to suggest, anyway. If nothing else, it would decrease load on the server, which may or may not be an issue, I dunno.

Actually you're right about momentary switches, I was thinking about this post, but just read a few posts down.

I think the best option for self test tapes would just to be improving the controls on the recordedGames. It would be strange to fit in tapes of your own death into the actual game.

There's not really any reason to have all your tapes white, most of mine are still green. I'm just thinking that the button would have pretty much no use other than fulfilling obsessiveness. Perhaps if it was a toggle it could be useful for noting your place.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-14 17:18:54)

Board footer