The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-02 15:40:06

ladida

The psychology of personal security

The way.. better.. the art of robbing is directly connected to the art of designing a (secure) house. You have to know the other view. Aspects of how your opponent will act and react on certain designs and situations can help to find great trap designs. Now I wanna focus on house design and the way robbers act and react seperated from game mechanics and trap designs only.

A few general thoughts:

- When you see an open house.. means no or few walls or hallways, you are more likely to move around freely without the feeling of danger. The first few houses I build at the beginning were constructed on the right edge of the map. More people finally moved into dangerous hallways and died. Its the feeling of security leading people into dangerous situations. When an important part of this game is getting bountys, its not my job to frighten visitors, but to encourage them to come into my deadly but friendly looking cave. They need to think that everything is gonna be easy. I guess that doesnt work when youre on the top list.

- When something works, youre more likely to repeat this. Lets abuse this! This works really great with those traps you have to trust, which will deactivate when stepping on them. Maybe give people the chance to test this, let them succeed with the first and the second and kill them on the third because they didnt push a button or so.

I may continue this later. Whats your opinion/ suggestions?

#2 2014-02-02 17:14:05

iceman
Website

Re: The psychology of personal security

I love playing with people's expectations in my house - make a trap that is so obviously a trap they stay away from it, but have it set up to be the solution to my house, or deeper in the house (once they've already seen how I build) make a trap that's so obviously a trap they know it's the solution to my house - but it's actually a trap >:D.

As for the first part, I've always wanted to build a house like this, since I'm convinced it'll get a lot of "just scouting" kills. 
http://castledraft.com/editor/7Y94TH
Basically, the dog is 1 tile above the default view - when the player runs straight to the right, they'll reach the wood and think that the house is up to the top.  When their screen scrolls up, though, they see the dog - it's already too late, though, because the dog is closer to the exit then they are.  They go up, hoping that they'll luck through the entrance - but the whole things a fake!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-02-02 18:57:39

HaterSkater

Actually it's not that hard to scout through open-wide houses, if you know how. But today i was really surprised by this situation:
Screen_Shot_2014_02_03_at_5_23_33_AM.jpg
i mean why she stand still in the doorway instead of running to escape?

Last edited by HaterSkater (2014-02-02 18:59:31)

#4 2014-02-02 19:05:00

iceman
Website

I know - someone who's smart about scouting will go straight until reaching the end, go back to the far left, and *then* go up, to not get caught by that.  I'm guessing that most people don't do that, though, since it's so time comsuming.

As for that trap, since the child hadn't seen you yet, it's not moving.  The wife saw you and tried to run away, but since the child was in the way she had to stop.  Coincidentally (hah!), she stopped right in front of a doorway, which means that when you open it, you're right beside her, so *bang*!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-02-02 19:18:30

HaterSkater

yes, i just did some research, and now i see how this trap works. learned it hard way, lost my 500$ house. lol

#6 2014-02-03 05:40:43

largestherb

this is why i always have a brick

#7 2014-02-03 18:38:08

Drakol

Let me guess, there was a dog in the way of the Children? xD

#8 2014-02-04 09:56:55

colorfusion

Drakol wrote:

Let me guess, there was a dog in the way of the Children? xD

Dogs can't get in the way of family, other family member can though. A family member will remain stationary until they are themselves seen.

#9 2014-02-05 15:21:01

ladida

- It seems to me that players are more likely going up on the map then going down.. but this can also be a personal impression.

Board footer