The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-02 21:00:54

Folle

This is such bullshit, I call cheat!

TL;DR: I call a witch hunt on Thomas Jeffery Guffey, someone I believe I've have confirmed as a cheater.

Pardon my language, I'm usually not one to obtain the hurt of the butt, but this time I might want to get a glass, as the whine surely will be flowing.

Take a look at this screencap of my list of Security Tapes:

Security Tapes

As you notice, I was robbed blind by a guy called Thomas Jeffery Guffey. The first time, he got me for almost 5k and left me with 0$. How did he do this? Well, he didn't actually break in, he solved my code. Perfectly. After that, which surely left me in a conundrum, I thought I ought to check this guy out. At the time, he had 23k. I didn't think more about this, not until it happened the second time, which is when I had made further improvements, adding a second code. He solved that one perfectly as well, leaving me at rock bottom yet again. This is when I noticed the pattern. As you see, a guy named Kurt Gerald Norton broke in and lost a substantial amount of money, giving me a bounty of almost 4k. The next fucking minute, Thomas broke in and got it back, solving my code perfectly. Then, a guy named Darrel Bruce Weber, obviously a new character, as the bounty yielded the minimum, got in and scoped out the scene after the improvements had been made. The next fucking minute yet again, Thomas breaks in and almost clinically solves my 2 codes.

The way I see it, this guy is working together with his buddy to meta-game his way through the system and scope out houses. That's fucking bullshit.

I call for a witch hunt on Thomas Jeffery Guffey. I don't care if what he's doing is allowed or not, it's fucking cheap and I can't rest before he's in the gutter. I can't do it myself, as he seems to be out for me, probably after I killed his buddy.

I recently looked him up again. His house seems to have been improved with some expensive tech, his family appears to be gone and he's down to 11k, probably due to the renovation. Here, have a pic:

Security Tapes

It's pretty damn impressive to score 23k by only trapping 7. Seems this guys is quite the robber. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do, except post this here in the hopes of someone out there hearing me. I could, of course, mass my own army as I have friends playing this as well and give him some of his own medicine, but I'd rather not.

#2 2014-02-02 21:12:37

GoogleFrog

Re: This is such bullshit, I call cheat!

Did Kurt and Darrel get into the inner workings of your code such that they could possibly deduce the way to solve it?

As in do you think that Thomas is only cheating by working together with other players? It is the difference between collusion and some kind of maphack.

#3 2014-02-02 21:24:50

iceman
Website

Folle wrote:

It's pretty damn impressive to score 23k by only trapping 7. Seems this guys is quite the robber. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do, except post this here in the hopes of someone out there hearing me. I could, of course, mass my own army as I have friends playing this as well and give him some of his own medicine, but I'd rather not.

The kill count resets after you change anything in your house, so that doesn't necessarily mean he made all that money from robbing.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2014-02-03 00:10:02

Folle

GoogleFrog wrote:

Did Kurt and Darrel get into the inner workings of your code such that they could possibly deduce the way to solve it?

As in do you think that Thomas is only cheating by working together with other players? It is the difference between collusion and some kind of maphack.

Well, I just watched through the Security Tapes of Darrel and to be honest, he just seemed confused. The first one is him walking about, scoping the area. Then he pushes a button, realizes (I think) that it locked the house down, left and came again. In the second tape, he's much more adventurous, pushing buttons and whatnot (he missed the most important ones, which are required to power the rest), then he went back, pushed the same button as originally, and as he concluded there was no difference, he entered and got trapped. To be honest, he may very well be a regular robber, it was just the fact that he was really combing the scene the moment before Thomas entered, just like the first time with Kurt. It may have been a coincidence, it just looks rather suspicious.

Looking through the Tapes of Kurt, I'll have to conclude something similar. He looked around, left, came back, pushed a few buttons and got himself trapped.

In any case, none of them got into the core of my circuits, so it's very likely I'm wrong, now that I'm thinking about it.

In fact, the first tape of Thomas shows him walking around confused after having breached my shit, looking like he thinks he's trapped. It's very likely he went in to avenge his friend and got lucky with my code, then returned later and was lucky with the second code as well. In that case, Darrel would happen to be innocent and in no way related to any of this.

#5 2014-02-03 00:11:08

Folle

iceman wrote:
Folle wrote:

The kill count resets after you change anything in your house, so that doesn't necessarily mean he made all that money from robbing.

I wasn't aware of this. This explains a lot, and leaves me looking like somewhat of an idiot. Sorry, and thanks for the heads up.

#6 2014-02-03 01:38:33

Cent

Do we still need to flatten this guy with first page bankrollers or are we good now?

/internetarmy

#7 2014-02-03 02:53:49

tayfun

Imagine you live alone, and you are being robbed by 5 thiefs. Then you say, "If there was only one thief, I could get him. They were just too crowded".

What I mean is, sometimes bad people get together to rob/beat/kill one poor guy. This is life, and Castle Doctrine is the same thing; it doesn't have to be fair.

Last edited by tayfun (2014-02-03 02:54:09)

#8 2014-02-03 11:41:00

jere

An "Almonte" just came in with 120+ saws and a ton of other items. They suicided after 8 steps, meaning they intentionally did that. Disconnects, on the other hand, show up as 1 step.

Added about $45k to my house..... Either a gift or some dual account shenanigans if you ask me.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#9 2014-02-03 11:51:52

iceman
Website

That was me, as a gift big_smile

I had just robbed 40k from a suicide run in Cardoso's house, didn't have time to build a house, so I figured "Why not, I'll just reward some random person with 40k worth of tools"

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#10 2014-02-03 11:54:44

RockyBst

If by 'reward' you mean 'paint a giant bullseye on', sure wink

#11 2014-02-03 11:54:50

colorfusion

iceman wrote:

I had just robbed 40k from a suicide run in Cardoso's house, didn't have time to build a house, so I figured "Why not, I'll just reward some random person with 40k worth of tools"

And I'm John Ronald Cardoso, repairing my security! Pretty neat that the whole chain is here on the forums. Also I think you're the first ever to actually properly solve my house.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-03 12:05:09)

#12 2014-02-03 12:15:08

jere

If by 'reward' you mean 'paint a giant bullseye on', sure

It's a white elephant! But anyway, thanks iceman!

A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable but burdensome possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth. The term derives from the story that the kings of Siam (now Thailand) were accustomed to make a present of one of these animals to courtiers who had rendered themselves obnoxious, in order to ruin the recipient by the cost of its maintenance.

Last edited by jere (2014-02-03 12:15:21)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#13 2014-02-03 12:36:13

iceman
Website

jere wrote:

You have been gifted with the curse of wealth wink

colorfusion wrote:
iceman wrote:

And I'm John Ronald Cardoso, repairing my security! Pretty neat that the whole chain is here on the forums. Also I think you're the first ever to actually properly solve my house.

Really?!?! It's such a relatively simple solution... I was expecting some sort of failsafe the whole time, to prevent people accidentally running through it (like I did).  I'm assuming you're adding such failsafes now? =P

#14 2014-02-03 12:38:26

colorfusion

iceman wrote:
jere wrote:

You have been gifted with the curse of wealth wink

colorfusion wrote:
iceman wrote:

Really?!?! It's such a relatively simple solution... I was expecting some sort of failsafe the whole time, to prevent people accidentally running through it (like I did).  I'm assuming you're adding such failsafes now? =P

Yeah, I'm going to add something else as soon as I get cash up again, it's surprising how no one else so far had tried one of the most obvious things.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-03 12:39:55)

#15 2014-02-03 12:39:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So, I watch the tape myself.  The first Guffey robbery was of a 4-bit combination lock (with a 1/16 chance of guessing correctly).  The guy walked around a lot on the empty part of the map before settling in to try pressing buttons.  After each button pressed, he walked over to check if the trapdoor had closed yet.

After pressing the first two buttons, guess what?  The trapdoor had closed.

Now, 1/16 is if you can only make one guess.  HOWEVER, with four sticky buttons, you can actually test 4 codes before you've stuck down all the buttons, so each "guess" is really four sequential guesses.  This brings your chance of guessing closer to something like 1/4.

On the second Guffey robbery, he still knew the old code from last time, so he put that code in first, and now you have added TWO buttons as a sort of secondary code.

That means he has a 1/2 chance of guessing (pick which button to press first, check, then press the other button).  And he guessed!

#16 2014-02-03 14:17:54

Folle

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, I watch the tape myself.  The first Guffey robbery was of a 4-bit combination lock (with a 1/16 chance of guessing correctly).  The guy walked around a lot on the empty part of the map before settling in to try pressing buttons.  After each button pressed, he walked over to check if the trapdoor had closed yet.

After pressing the first two buttons, guess what?  The trapdoor had closed.

Now, 1/16 is if you can only make one guess.  HOWEVER, with four sticky buttons, you can actually test 4 codes before you've stuck down all the buttons, so each "guess" is really four sequential guesses.  This brings your chance of guessing closer to something like 1/4.

On the second Guffey robbery, he still knew the old code from last time, so he put that code in first, and now you have added TWO buttons as a sort of secondary code.

That means he has a 1/2 chance of guessing (pick which button to press first, check, then press the other button).  And he guessed!

I understand. I guess I just saw a pattern that wasn't there. Sorry if I wasted your time sad

I call off the witch hunt, if that matters to anyone.

#17 2014-02-03 14:22:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

smile

No problem!  This game makes people super-paranoid.  I see patterns that aren't there all the time, even from my god's eye view where I can see all the tapes.

#18 2014-02-03 16:32:42

protox13

jasonrohrer wrote:

smile

No problem!  This game makes people super-paranoid.  I see patterns that aren't there all the time, even from my god's eye view where I can see all the tapes.

We'll be sure to forward our therapists' bills to you, then! tongue

#19 2014-02-03 17:13:19

Drakol

There is nothing in this game that actually stops people playing in the same room as each other. Nor will there ever be, most likely.

I.e. - If you, your two friends, all three had the game. Then with your Laptops or whatever, played together. One person could try the house, the other two watch. Then the second person tries, then the third. Nothing stops people from doing this. *shrugs* Though it seems unfair, it is how the cookie crumbles.

As for actual hacking, the source code for this game is open... so potentially, they'd have to somehow hack the server? or derive a program that translates everything into a number system, to regurgitate on a browser (Castle Planner, etc). I doubt the Creator of the game is actually going to be able to create an Anti cheat system for such a simple game (Yet frustratingly complex to play).

#20 2014-02-03 17:28:25

Cent

Not really any different from going in, taking screenshots, and posting them elsewhere for people to try. I dont think it's a big deal, rather, it adds to the game. A band of robbers.

#21 2014-02-03 20:24:30

Folle

Well, that's why I wasn't trying to get them banned. Just as it's legal to work together with friends and meta-game your way through other people's houses, it's legal to blow the whistle on such people and call a witch hunt, which was my intention. I've been raped by high end user before, with my shitty wooden house getting completely trashed by a guy fully stocked on saws, bricks and clubs. That's the appeal of this game, to manipulate and obtain power over others.

Board footer