The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-02 21:56:18

iceman
Website

[Poll] What's your favorite tool?

http://strawpoll.me/1118037

I'm just interested in what others think are their favorite tools in the game.  I know there's going to be a lot of Dog Meat/Water, since they're so essential to even scouting most houses, but, despite their usefulness, they're not my favorite because they don't seem as tactically interesting as other tools.

My recent favorite has to be the brick.  It opens doors, letting you see past certain commit gates and saving your life if you're being chased by a dog and surrounded by doors.  It breaks windows, letting you reach magic dance areas or cat timers.  It kills cats and chihuahuas, saving your life if you're on an electric floor they're about to light up.  And it presses buttons, letting you test certain traps or get past a trap that needs a pet following you.  It's just so versatile that it's hard to imagine not bringing it along big_smile

Before I discovered bricks, saws were my favorite tools, for similar reasons.  Obviously, they let you get places you shouldn't be - clever use of a few saws will do wonders in maze houses,.  Because wired wooden walls are so prevalent for hiding wiring, a single saw can often act as a doorstop or cut off power to a lot of electric floors.  And of course, in wooden houses they're your only way past a sleeping dog =P

So what are your favorite tools, and why?  They don't necessarily have to be the ones you think are most useful, but also the ones you enjoy using the most.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2014-02-03 15:56:33

iceman
Website

Re: [Poll] What's your favorite tool?

I'm wondering if the person who voted crowbar was serious... I've never even bought one

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-02-03 16:10:12

protox13

Would this mean the brick is op/under priced? Seems a steal at $150. Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKtBM99kAc

#4 2014-02-03 16:25:02

iceman
Website

I don't think so... like water, it's usually only useful if you're carrying quite a few (to open x doors until you find the safe one, for instance).  Maybe up to $200 (especially to get rid of the only $50 price tool =P), but they're not *too* far off of the "balanced" price, if they are at all.

#5 2014-02-03 16:38:51

rullgrus

Ahhh the wonderful brick - always bought in even numbers. Saved me many times from the evil cats and their traps. I only wish I was stronger so I could throw them further than four tiles.

I don't think that I have ever used a crowbar. I remember wishing I had one once or twice though when facing powered doors.

#6 2014-02-03 16:42:11

RockyBst

Crowbars used to be awesome, now they're just far too expensive.

My vote goes to the humble club, the best way to get rid of dogs, window, and other pesky vermin.

#7 2014-02-03 20:00:46

ventuswings

I love brick and always bring one with me no matter what, but Dog Meat is just so extremely useful in most situations.
Dog Meat edged out because decent number of players distance their traps in a way to counter brick usage.

#8 2014-02-03 20:26:41

Drakol

I think the Brick is too cheap...
Because later on, it just becomes ridiculous how many bricks people bring. lmao.
But it is the best item in the game.

Board footer