The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 15:13:42

sebastian

Most stupid user ever!

This must be the most stupid robber ever.

It was when I forgot to connect a trap, so it was a "free lunch".

Robber reach vault.
Now he SAWs the wall above and below the vault, and then finds nothing.
Then he attempt to go back through the commit gate and dies.

aplNju2.png

What is the most stupid tape you have seen?

#2 2014-02-04 15:15:21

jw2pfd

Re: Most stupid user ever!

Did he have a tool to kill the wife and was maybe just greedy looking for her?

#3 2014-02-04 15:19:18

sebastian

No, 4 saws, 4 drugged meat. I had my wife just at the door.
He just drugged the commit pitbull and then Went for the safe, and then ignored the safe completely.

#4 2014-02-04 15:23:14

jw2pfd

Hah, well, at $2000 in tools, I guess it was a fresh robber who was either trolling or just completely oblivious to the vault.

#5 2014-02-04 16:47:50

largestherb

did anyone come in after and walk straight to the vault?

#6 2014-02-04 16:50:55

JoeBlow

That's my guess too.  He was a scout for an account with more money in it.

#7 2014-02-04 17:12:12

MasterPain

My guess as well. Something similar happened to me, the guy comitted suicide right in front of the vault and later on someone robbed me clean.
Suggestion: Change some things around just to mess with them. This shit needs to stop.

Last edited by MasterPain (2014-02-04 17:13:49)

#8 2014-02-04 17:31:57

sebastian

largestherb: No I noticed the failure to connect my trap, so I connected it.

JoeBlow & MasterPain: aaah now I understand. They have a sockpuppet that they use to figure out houses. It does not matter if sockpuppet dies. When they suceed, they know how to break house and take their large account.

2 soultions that would solve this problem altogiheter:
Generate name using a pseudorandom function that takes both the target player account, and source player account, as input. Thus 2 alt accounts will never find the same house.
Make so chills also apply to IP. So if a specific user is on Chill, apply same Chill to user's IP as well.
If a alt-account logs on from a IP that has Chills, copy over the chills to that account. (using a OR equation, so any chills already on account is COMBINED with chills on IP, and then stored on account AND IP).
(so if he would log in with he's low value account, he will also now have the chills of his high-value account as well)

#9 2014-02-04 17:36:42

iceman
Website

Jason has said he doesn't want to do either of those - generating a unique name would take up a lot of space on the server, and would prevent "Arch-robbers", whose name everybody knows!

As for the IP, this could easily lock out people who play in the same location, such as at home or at school.

I don't think it matters that much that this is happening - it still (should) require skill to reach a safe, so it's not a huge in-game advantage to be using two accounts like this

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#10 2014-02-04 17:44:58

MasterPain

sebastian wrote:

largestherb: No I noticed the failure to connect my trap, so I connected it.

JoeBlow & MasterPain: aaah now I understand. They have a sockpuppet that they use to figure out houses. It does not matter if sockpuppet dies. When they suceed, they know how to break house and take their large account.

2 soultions that would solve this problem altogiheter:
Generate name using a pseudorandom function that takes both the target player account, and source player account, as input. Thus 2 alt accounts will never find the same house.
Make so chills also apply to IP. So if a specific user is on Chill, apply same Chill to user's IP as well.
If a alt-account logs on from a IP that has Chills, copy over the chills to that account. (using a OR equation, so any chills already on account is COMBINED with chills on IP, and then stored on account AND IP).
(so if he would log in with he's low value account, he will also now have the chills of his high-value account as well)

The part about IP-shared chills has already been discussed on the forum (probably wont happen, because it would be a pain in the ass to people who simply play from the same house and don't help each other out), but I REALLY like the idea about the names. We won't have any of the "famous" dudes but it would help a lot in countering this "scout" tactic.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't know this had been discussed already.

Last edited by MasterPain (2014-02-04 17:46:03)

#11 2014-02-04 17:49:03

sebastian

No. Im not talking about blocking alt-accounts on same IP. (Jason said that he want the experience of sitting at Starbucks or library and "It was YOU that robbed me")
Just that they share same Chills, which means they can still rob each other and collaborate, its just that if they trigger a chill, they can't just circumvent the chill by logging a alt account. And once they "infect" the IP with a chill, any new accounts on that IP will get same chills (of course with correct time counters) so they cant "ooh, need to change IP"... because then its too late.

About unique names: I don't Think it would take any server space. Generate the name "live" instead. Eg something like GenerateName(AccountID, TargetAccountID) and that is executed anytime we want to have a name.
So AccountID is then the robber browsing house list, and TargetAccountID is the house that is about to be displayed in list.

#12 2014-02-04 18:19:49

joshwithguitar

Unique names wouldn't help though - it is not hard to find a house if you know its approximate value.

#13 2014-02-04 20:01:58

Drakol

Easier method -  One could set the game that, if the player gets to the safe - then walks away and dies - The game registers the Safe having been touched (Within one square) and... well, the punishment or what to do with that, would be up to the Creator of the game. But a 1 Square radius around the safe, to stop this sort of thing would be easy.

#14 2014-02-04 20:07:24

sebastian

The problem is that then the sockpuppeters just use 2 Square away, and so on. They just need to avoid to get just next to safe.

Maybe that rob is forfeit if someone on the same IP sucessfully robs a house that a previous alt-account (not equal to this user) did die in the same house and the died account is still in its chill period.

This means that if user 1 and user 2 has same IP:
User 1 robs house and dies.
User 1 now have X hours chill.
User 2 can enter house (no chill), but if he sucessfully rob the house, and the chill timer (X hours) is still counting down on User 1, rob is forfeited (player is killed).

Then you don't block alt-accounts to play, instead you detect if theyre using altaccounts to cheat, and then kill them if they do.

#15 2014-02-04 20:23:18

Drakol

sebastian wrote:

The problem is that then the sockpuppeters just use 2 Square away, and so on. They just need to avoid to get just next to safe.

Maybe that rob is forfeit if someone on the same IP sucessfully robs a house that a previous alt-account (not equal to this user) did die in the same house and the died account is still in its chill period.

This means that if user 1 and user 2 has same IP:
User 1 robs house and dies.
User 1 now have X hours chill.
User 2 can enter house (no chill), but if he sucessfully rob the house, and the chill timer (X hours) is still counting down on User 1, rob is forfeited (player is killed).

Then you don't block alt-accounts to play, instead you detect if theyre using altaccounts to cheat, and then kill them if they do.

Nah, it'd just mean that everyone would put their Safe behind a door, - though then people would start using bricks to open said doors... hmmm conundrum...

#16 2014-02-04 22:32:43

GoogleFrog

I've made houses with a pit directly in front of the entrance. It got a few 2 step kills.

#17 2014-02-04 23:00:55

DaVinci

Sebastian, If the guy had tools worth less than 2000$ , it might have been me. I remember suiciding for teh lulz.

#18 2014-02-05 13:24:45

DaVinci

Drakol wrote:

Easier method -  One could set the game that, if the player gets to the safe - then walks away and dies - The game registers the Safe having been touched (Within one square) and... well, the punishment or what to do with that, would be up to the Creator of the game. But a 1 Square radius around the safe, to stop this sort of thing would be easy.

What if they do wizardry to make the movelist exact so it looks like they left right after coming in?

Jason already said it was possible to do a Undo button for robbery.

Board footer