The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-05 07:35:21

Dantheman

So painful...

Going away for a few hours from a house with a few hundred, and coming back to find my house had reached a total of seven thousand before being reduced to zero. My biggest peeve.

Get out of my house!

#2 2014-02-05 07:37:21

jere

Re: So painful...

Yea, an argument about this problem is raging in the bounty thread. My suggestion is a self selected cap on house value so you can play at your own pace, but it doesn't seem to have any support.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2014-02-05 07:57:54

DaVinci

Noooooon. Get your house built up with non-deadly traps like path blockers and it's done. You won't get bounties.

#4 2014-02-05 08:36:29

super_maçon

jere wrote:

Yea, an argument about this problem is raging in the bounty thread. My suggestion is a self selected cap on house value so you can play at your own pace, but it doesn't seem to have any support.

No i like the idea, but it would create some issue imo. If the player can choose any value this become a way to avoid any risk when off line...

Maybe a "neighborhood" system, you start in a poor neighborhood, your house value is between 0 $ & X $, when you reach X $ the bounties fall to 0 until you log back in ( X should represent a good amount to make a rob desirable but won't allow to get a disproportional amount of equipment regarding the house installation ). Then you move to a new neighborhood where houses value goes form X to Y and so on...

A tiers system that the dev' could tweak for some balance.

It would also add a new information about houses actually. A approximation of the cost of the installation ( edit : well, if you can't move back to the previous neighborhood ), don't know if it's a good thing...
An example, if i have let say 25 dogs in my house what the point if there is only 700$ in the vault ?

I don't know, it's just an idea... I don't see any solution really.

Last edited by super_maçon (2014-02-05 08:43:07)

#5 2014-02-05 08:59:30

jere

No i like the idea, but it would create some issue imo. If the player can choose any value this become a way to avoid any risk when off line...

I disagree. What we're talking about here is that you leave your house at $X value, go to sleep, and that $X is enough to draw in robbers.

Even the first robber that comes in presents a risk. And if one comes in at that price, why not others? Besides, if you really wanted no risk you would spend down to $0 and there would be no incentive whatsoever to come in your house. Of course, that's not a viable strategy because having money and getting bounties is actually what you want. Setting the cap at your current value would incur less risk and absolutely no reward....

Jason has said something to the effect of he'd rather the game make people stop wanting to play rather than compulsively play. The current system rewards you for babysitting the game.

#6 2014-02-05 09:14:38

super_maçon

Hmm, yeah i was thinking of that possibility ( get down to 0 and then be pretty sure that nobody will come ). You're right there would be no point, you want to lure people in and have some money in stock to buy some tools.

It could work.

But i don't even know if Jason thinks it's an issue at the moment.

#7 2014-02-05 10:45:40

iceman
Website

DaVinci wrote:

Noooooon. Get your house built up with non-deadly traps like path blockers and it's done. You won't get bounties.

They will find a way =P

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-02-05 11:22:02

protox13

iceman wrote:
DaVinci wrote:

They will find a way =P

FMD-Field-of-Dreams.jpg

Need to photoshop a slobbering pit bull in there tongue. Photoshop anyone?

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-05 11:22:30)

#9 2014-02-05 11:34:56

DaVinci

and I'm like, "Good thing I get so many kills!".

I want moar bountiez.

#10 2014-02-05 16:28:48

JoeBlow

Besides, if you really wanted no risk you would spend down to $0 and there would be no incentive whatsoever to come in your house.

Not even this is true.  One time I spent about $6500 on a house and went to work literally with $0.  Came back to a house that was still worth $0 but had been robbed 5 times with 4 deaths.  The 2nd to last one was with tools.  The last one was with a lot more tools and they blasted through everything.  Total damage was about half the initial cost because they seemed to like clubbing dogs and frying power supplies.

The current system rewards you for babysitting the game.

This is the single largest problem with the game.  You simply cannot leave it alone for any significant amount of time and not be forced to start all over again with the tedious rinse and repeat of a brand new build out or buying $2000 in tools and hoping for the best.

#11 2014-02-05 16:35:41

largestherb

JoeBlow wrote:

This is the single largest problem with the game.  You simply cannot leave it alone for any significant amount of time and not be forced to start all over again with the tedious rinse and repeat of a brand new build out or buying $2000 in tools and hoping for the best.

my house is now 36 hours since i finished it. i have logged in to look at tapes, and to buy paintings a few times.

if this is babysitting, i need to get onto that career path.

Last edited by largestherb (2014-02-05 16:35:57)

#12 2014-02-05 16:39:10

JoeBlow

largestherb wrote:
JoeBlow wrote:

my house is now 36 hours since i finished it. i have logged in to look at tapes, and to buy paintings a few times.

How much was spent on the build?  IMO you cannot count houses that have been built with enormous amounts of cash because they become (virtually) impenetrable.  And yes I know that they aren't really.  But only a small percentage of players have the money to either build such a house or buy the tools needed to take it down.  So to the rest us, it is it is the equivalent.

#13 2014-02-05 17:22:34

jere

I'm guessing you have a mid/top tier house. I agree that it's not such a big deal at that point. But the nice thing about a self selected cap is you could choose to turn it off.

What I'm referring to here applies more to starting houses because that's when your house value multiplies in value overnight.

I have one of the top houses and my house went up 50% while I was at work today. I thought that was an insane amount, but a starter home can easily go up 1,000% over night.

[Of course, watching 100 tapes for a 12 hour period might be considered babysitting too smile]

Last edited by jere (2014-02-05 17:38:23)

Board footer