The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 12:17:02

protox13

Crowdsourcing the fall of Mr. Price

So, individually, it's impossible for any one of us (except maybe the few around $50k net worth) to break into Mr. Price's vault. However, if we cooperate in taking him out, I'm sure he'll be toppled before the day is over. So, to kick things off, I'm submitting this map of his house from the welcome mat, which folks can add to as they progress throughout the house.

Please post updated castledraft links in this thread with notes on which tools are useful (and how many), but remember where/what you see in terms of animals and electronics may not reflect their beginning state when you entered the house. Errors and misleading additions can be checked by subsequent raiders.

http://castledraft.com/editor/q0YNjU

Good luck to the person who eventually topples him. His only defense will be to burn through his money and imagination, constantly reworking his house. Nothing personal, but we're coming for you, Mr. Price... welcome back to our world.

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-06 13:33:24)

#2 2014-02-06 12:26:41

colorfusion

Re: Crowdsourcing the fall of Mr. Price

Pretty interesting idea for a lot of people to all gather information, like a gang of thieves. I've got the chills in his house at the moment.

Earlier I counted that there were 10 steps of the house staying the same, then everything turns on for a turn, then the door opens for 1 turn (2 if the cat is in it) then the door closes and everything remains off.

• Off (Door closed) * 10

• On (Door closed) * 1

• Off (Door open) * 1

Keep in mind that the pitbull below also seems to turn everything on when you step onto the electric grids. I feel that if you need to go back and forth then step on the grids on the right turn.

Also I love how there was Adrian Ernest Pounds, and now Michael Ebert Price as the top house.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-06 12:33:11)

#3 2014-02-06 12:32:14

protox13

colorfusion wrote:

Pretty interesting idea for a lot of people to all gather information, like a gang of thieves. I've got the chills in his house at the moment.

Earlier I counted that there were 10 steps of the house staying the same, then everything turns on for a turn, then the door opens for 1 turn (2 if the cat gets stuck in it) then the door closes and everything remains off.

It's based on an idea I shared in an earlier thread (post 5 here: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=752)- with a large enough player base you could eventually see the formation of thieves' guilds and guild wars, which are meta game factors departing quite significantly from Jason's original idea. It would be interesting to see if that will happen.

#4 2014-02-06 12:33:17

TheRealCheese

I think the best chance we collectively have, is for people to keep trying and failing and updating the map and then in the end a chain-robber with an empty house, and as such not someone Mr. Price can rob to put a stop to, can bruteforce it. I am not a very good robber myself.

#5 2014-02-06 13:31:53

gyuri

#6 2014-02-06 13:56:57

iceman
Website

We should post house visits/deaths for our maps, so we'll know when he updates it.

Also, for notes on the magic dance or clock, I've made a google doc.  Anybody should be able to edit it with failed/successful dances.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ifd … sp=sharing

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-06 13:59:07)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2014-02-06 13:58:55

protox13

iceman wrote:

We should post house visits/deaths for our maps, so we'll know when he updates it.

Good idea. Currently he's at 153/66.

#8 2014-02-06 14:07:49

ladida

Peace to the shacks! War on the palaces! Sounds like a revolution is coming up.. big_smile

#9 2014-02-06 19:30:01

joshwithguitar

had a good look inside XD!!! bummer I didn't bring moar ladders tho and I'm out of cash lolz sad

Herez my map hope it helps~~~ http://castledraft.com/editor/HSMjvk

#10 2014-02-06 19:45:25

protox13

joshwithguitar wrote:

had a good look inside XD!!! bummer I didn't bring moar ladders tho and I'm out of cash lolz sad

Herez my map hope it helps~~~ http://castledraft.com/editor/HSMjvk

LOL! Thanks for being a good sport about it. Doesn't look like this idea is going anywhere, though. And for the record, he is now 249/109.

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-06 19:55:13)

#11 2014-02-06 19:50:54

iceman
Website

Wow.... did he really give his wife 9 shotguns?!?
How confident are you that all of the buttons are correct?

protox13 wrote:

LOL! Thanks for being a good sport about it. Doesn't look like this idea is going anywhere, though.

I'm all chilled out at the moment

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#12 2014-02-07 00:53:03

LiteS

You can see what's behind the door for the low low price of $1200. (it's more doors, a wire, and a redundant power plant)

#13 2014-02-07 04:31:30

Banakai

I estimate it would take about 6000 dollars to kill his wife, that is assuming you can magically dance around and get in position to club all the pitbulls.

#14 2014-02-07 05:03:32

largestherb

i believe it is more like this http://castledraft.com/editor/cUziuH

#15 2014-02-07 05:23:25

joshwithguitar

largestherb wrote:

i believe it is more like this http://castledraft.com/editor/cUziuH

Hmm, maybe he has changed it since the last time I looked...

#16 2014-02-07 21:56:06

arakira

Damn Josh, you just killed my cat !! I am very upset...

#17 2014-02-07 22:46:49

Amatiel

I have the capacity to do so but I am afraid to act against Mr price lest he retaliate with an entire hardware store of tools. However, i really don't like someone above us having this much power, he could keep (and has been) knocking people off with expensive houses with ease as they get high worth, thus cementing his rule.

If you enter my house even once Mr Price, I will retaliate and contribute my entire wealth to this effort.

Please just sit in your house and enjoy your rule while it lasts. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who are just trying to save for that painting we really want!

I believe you are in a position to set a record for house value no? Play nice good sir!

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#18 2014-02-08 00:15:45

protox13

Amatiel wrote:

I have the capacity to do so but I am afraid to act against Mr price lest he retaliate with an entire hardware store of tools. However, i really don't like someone above us having this much power, he could keep (and has been) knocking people off with expensive houses with ease as they get high worth, thus cementing his rule.

If you enter my house even once Mr Price, I will retaliate and contribute my entire wealth to this effort.

Please just sit in your house and enjoy your rule while it lasts. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who are just trying to save for that painting we really want!

I believe you are in a position to set a record for house value no? Play nice good sir!

I have the same worries. If we could coordinate and knock him out before he could retaliate, it would work, if or others were willing to suicide scout and add to the map, it would work. But his kill rate has doubled since I posted this and only one other person has contributed despite over 500 views, so I really doubt it.

Hey Josh, since you're at the top and apparently unkillable, why not go for something crazy like consolidating all of the art in the game, and/or getting over $1m net worth? That would be pretty awesome...

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-08 00:51:17)

#19 2014-02-08 04:39:33

joshwithguitar

protox13: Well, I've already gotten $1M net worth as Mister Earl Wilson, so that one is already checked off. And there just isn't that much money in the game any more. finding ALL the paintings would be a real hassle - who knows how many are hiding in abandoned $26 houses?

My aim - the one Jere inadvertently set me - was to show that it is possible to survive at the top for a week: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … 7619#p7619. Of course I am taking out the houses systematically but that isn't stopping some people coming into my house with $120k of tools...

Amatiel: If you want your house to be safe, just make sure you don't get in my sites or make it to the top 8 smile. Then it is unlikely I'll take you down. And yes, if anyone so much as peeks past my walls they probably won't have a house for long. Nothing personal, just the only way to survive with so much money.

#20 2014-02-08 06:59:56

Amatiel

Sorry josh, i have no intention of keeping my value below 40k just for your sake. I have peeked into your house but havent taken tools in yet. Interesting situation, this kind of cold war-esque mutally assured destruction.

I think this is a good experiment, i think there should more incentives to buy paintings and there should more unique paintings. Also maybe once you reach a certain house value, there should be some sort of disadvantage that comes with that to reduce a players robbing capabilities. There are heaps of possibilities here, some sort of new game mechanic should come into effect on houses worth more than 100k.

#21 2014-02-08 07:08:42

jere

Cold war? Eh, that's what I used to think, but it's actually the opposite of Mutually Assured Destruction. When you get robbed, you can't launch the nukes... they took all your nukes. You have no second strike capability. The best strategy is to strike first every time.

So Mr. Price is basically America. He's policing the neighborhood and making sure no one who hates his freedom has the ability to take him down.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#22 2014-02-08 07:41:24

joshwithguitar

Yeah, from where I am sitting this war is not particularly cold. But it is not so much a war as a dictatorship - anyone who steps out of line gets chopped down. I am actually rather surprised how well this is going. I wonder if someone else will take my place when I am finally toppled.

Amatiel wrote:

Sorry josh, i have no intention of keeping my value below 40k just for your sake.

I was advising you for your sake tongue.

#23 2014-02-08 08:43:51

Amatiel

Well i doubt that ill be able to contend with your wealth in a head to head fight knowing my identity, but i can get 50k within 12 hours from scratch so even if u chop me down ill DEDICATE my time to ending your houses existence.

This will be an interesting case study as to how it goes. Personally i think that most seasoned players including myself will not risk incurring the wrath of a 150k+ net worth player. Its simply too easy for you to retaliate with an overwhelming and excessive number of tools. Which brings us back to my last comment that suggests some sort of mechanic needs to curtail ultra rich players.

#24 2014-02-08 09:06:55

Banakai

If we had to take him out I think we need someone to kill his wife and then someone else to get to the vault in quick succesion while he is online. Even then though, he'd probbably just create another house and then go on a personal vendetta against these people. AND YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW WHO HE IS. basically you will have to wipe out everyone who gets close to  being able to brute force your house, thus becoming a second Mr. Price. (Now that I think of it, it would be cool in this game to be able to pay to change your name in case you really piss someone off)

#25 2014-02-08 09:09:28

Amatiel

Im pretty sure his wife is already dead actually...

Board footer