The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-11 10:36:49

arakira

Re: [MOD] Grayscale Robbery Mod

iceman wrote:

What are you using to edit them?  I used gimp, and by default it compresses the images.  That's what was causing the blueprint images to appear when I was working on the mod.  As for the blue squares, I believe that the TGA files use the color of one of the corners as the "invisible" color.  If that corner gets changed, even slightly, then the background won't be invisible anymore - hence, giant blue squares.  One good way that I found to test that is to use the bucket tool (with the "color variance" (in Gimp's case, "Threshold") set to 0).  Fill in the background with something like black, and the slightly different shades become VERY obvious.  Fill those in with black as well, and then color everything back to blue (or whatever you want the background color to be).

OK, I think I'm getting it. It is not the corner of the image that defines the transparency, but the corner of each sprite (actually the bottom left corner). That makes it a bit difficult at first to locate the corners of the sprite... Plus, there may be several of these "corners" in each image.
(I use gimp too, and disable the compress option when exporting to tga)

[EDIT] The problem I have with lost transparency/big blue square happens when I do the following in gimp: select a rectangular area, copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) somewhere else in the image. If I export *right then*, the exported tga file looks fine, but if I launch the game all the sprites contained in the modified image are screwed-up. I come back to gimp, click on a random place to reset the rectangular area, then I export, everything is fine in-game (and the tga file looks exactly the same). I  wonder why having an active selection in gimp messes up with the export process...

Last edited by arakira (2014-02-11 10:59:28)

#27 2014-02-11 19:20:08

iceman
Website

Maybe it has to do with pasted portions being on a "floating layer"?

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#28 2014-02-11 20:13:38

arakira

iceman wrote:

Maybe it has to do with pasted portions being on a "floating layer"?

Probably... I'm not good at gimp anyway. At least I know how to proceed now. Mabe I'll work on a mod someday!

#29 2014-02-14 17:28:52

iceman
Website

Updated to v32

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer