The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-12 11:11:20

setz
Website

[Suggestion] Tool idea to be immune to sight through windows?

I know that this is a crazy idea, and kind of breaks reality but being seen through a window is definitely one of the most widespread new uses for pet movement but there is no way to counter it. Playing this game last year I saw nearly NO windows at all, but now that pets have to see you first, the inclusion of windows in houses is through the roof.(pun intended) Imagine if you could walk past a set of windows w/o being seen? That would HUGELY help to curb people from building nothing but traps using this tactic.

I know a "Cloak of Invisibility" is too fantasy, but maybe something like "Cardboard" you can put up over a window? You could maybe also use Cardboard as a one-way ladder too?(It would fall into pit after walking over) That might be too powerful but the window idea I think would be cool? Thoughts friends?

Last edited by setz (2014-02-12 11:11:40)

#2 2014-02-12 11:15:28

colorfusion

Re: [Suggestion] Tool idea to be immune to sight through windows?

People would likely just use pits with dead animals instead, or pits with windows on the other side if you need to use the tool on the window.

I think it could be a good idea to have a tool that makes a tile vision blocking, although don't think a new tool should be introduced just for that purpose.

#3 2014-02-12 11:17:37

setz
Website

colorfusion wrote:

I think it could be a good idea to have a tool that makes a tile vision blocking, although don't think a new tool should be introduced just for that purpose.

Maybe the brick could just "crack" the window making it un-see-thru-able? (what a word!)

#4 2014-02-12 11:49:01

iceman
Website

I would definitely prefer keeping a brick that breaks windows instead of just cracking them

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-02-13 12:13:13

setz
Website

I definitely see the ability to cover a window as something that needs to be implemented though.

#6 2014-02-13 12:36:29

jere

Bucket-o-Paint

Throw it on a window and it blocks vision until the window is smashed. Of course, you'd just use powered doors to prevent windows from being disabled.

Though I have another use for paint: dumping it on the ground to make your own breadcrumb trail so you don't get lost in a house.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2014-02-13 12:40:12

iceman
Website

jere wrote:

Though I have another use for paint: dumping it on the ground to make your own breadcrumb trail so you don't get lost in a house.

That'd be pretty awesome! It would kill "Guess which hallway you came out of before the dog eats you" houses, but you could actually write something or make arrows for the owner (or future robbers) to see.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-02-13 12:48:49

setz
Website

jere wrote:

Bucket-o-Paint

Throw it on a window and it blocks vision until the window is smashed.

SOUNDS GOOD!

#9 2014-02-13 12:49:50

setz
Website

Windows are just too powerful right now and something needs to be able to disable them. (not just break them)

Last edited by setz (2014-02-13 12:50:06)

#10 2014-02-13 18:50:10

joshwithguitar

There are just too many ways to work around this to be useful. Even removing windows from the game most of the house designs you dislike could be reproduced using dead pets as colorfusion says or by having the pet close a door that blocks vision after it sees you. Paint also would be useless against windows behind pits that you see at the same time as you see the pet.

#11 2014-02-13 19:06:53

42dustman

Window traps aren't really that powerful, there already are items that can defuse them (brick/bat + meat/gun) and most of the traps involving them are very predictable and relatively easy to guess (unless they are extremely complex, but then that's also the case with extremely complex traps of all the other types), not to mention that they can also work as weakness that lets burglars easily access areas the owner wouldn't want them to.

Self-testing is torture.

#12 2014-02-15 19:15:37

Lord0fHam

How about just a mirror. If you use it when you first see a pet, it doesn't see you.

It's a trap!

#13 2014-02-15 23:06:47

sebastian

I don't see any use of such tool. People will just do so you HAVE to take the animal with you to proceed. Thus taking out the animal or making him immobile with mirrors/invisibility, would disable further traps that you normally would arrive to in a disabled/safe state.

The only trap such tool would "defuse" is these instant kill traps, like:

#WV  V VV
## B C PV
WWWWWV

trap. (# = Electric floor, W=Wired wall, V = Wooden wall, B = Sticking button, C = Chihuahua, P = Power)

but then people will stop using such traps and rely more on commit gates, locking in the robber with some animal or other trap.

#14 2014-02-15 23:23:13

dalleck

As has been mentioned here, a simple work-around for windows wouldn't be enough.  It is too easily exploited with dead animals in pits.

What I was thinking of was a 'cardboard box' tools, ala Metal Gear Solid.  However, this box would be static and thus you would have to throw a bunch down to traverse a passage without being seen by pets.  Perhaps immune to the family?  "Hey mom, why is there a man in a that cardboard box over there?"

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

Board footer