The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-13 09:33:01

setz
Website

Own House Timeout possibly extended?

Maybe I am in the minority here but I like to basically have this game open all day. I play a bit when I have slow times at work as well as at home. I have died numerous times in the past couple weeks by the timeout while editing my own house, and most of the time I also have $10,000+. See once I get that much I really like to think about how to make my house well built, it takes me time and sometimes I get busy doing something else.

I know there is a time limit to prevent camping with LOTS of money but maybe we could extend the time for editing your own house by atleast another 5 minutes?? or even 10? With the influx of new players since Steam release there is definitely NO shortage of houses available and I cant tell you how frustrating it is to timeout of your own house with over $10,000 and it ends up just being left in a blank slate house for someone to get.

#2 2014-02-13 10:35:28

PlasmaChroma

Re: Own House Timeout possibly extended?

I don't think you die from timing out in your own house?  I thought it was only from timing out in other peoples houses.

Maybe I'm wrong about this.

#3 2014-02-13 10:41:27

colorfusion

You don't die if you timeout in build mode, just robbery or self test mode. I agree it could probably be increased now that there are so many new players, although this timer is also how long it will take your house to appear on the list if you quit the game.

I think the server should change bounty, chills and house timeouts based on how many players there are. Less players means higher bounties, lower chills, and faster house timeouts to keep the game scaling well.

#4 2014-02-13 10:53:04

setz
Website

Ok. I guess I could be more clear.  I know you dont die, but this is mainly a problem when I start out new and then try and make my first robbery to build a suitable house. So when successful I return to my house to build and THEN if I timeout it reverts to a "new" house slate and all my tools/money are free for the taking.

I guess overall I think the timeout should just be lengthened because there is no shortage of houses and its frustrating when you finally make a score only to lose it all because you get a phone call for a couple minutes....

#5 2014-02-13 11:53:12

42dustman

One workaround to this is designing the home you want on Castle Draft before you go robbing, after you have a reference of where everything is going to be you can build a fortress in literally 3 minutes.

Still, I do agree that the timeout should be extended a little bit.

Self-testing is torture.

#6 2014-02-13 19:00:36

joshwithguitar

Another thing to do is build the entry hall of your house first, self test it and then quickly return to your house. Now if you accidentally log out there is a good chance you won't be robbed before you get back in.

#7 2014-02-13 19:05:46

Pandamonium

joshwithguitar wrote:

Another thing to do is build the entry hall of your house first, self test it and then quickly return to your house. Now if you accidentally log out there is a good chance you won't be robbed before you get back in.

Yeah, people like me who don't know the first thing about robbing, see that there is a wall and run away.
(1 or 3 steppers)

#8 2014-02-13 21:00:05

iceman
Website

Add a commit gate at the beginning, and you won't even have the smarter robbers carefully scout your house to discover that there isn't a house past the "cardboard entrance"

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer