The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-13 20:20:11

Lord0fHam
Member
From: California
Registered: 2014-02-11
Posts: 487

Can someone please explain this house?

Every once in awhile i come across a house that has a bunch of cats that immediately fall into pits with dogs near them. can someone tell me what purpose this serves? don't worry, i'm not trying to rob a high lvl player, got way to much at stake for that.


It's a trap!

Offline

#2 2014-02-13 20:33:43

42dustman
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 231

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

The pits themselves are an obstacle which does not block vision and isn't as easily surpassed as windows and the cats are there so the dogs don't fall into the pit after seeing you.


Self-testing is torture.

Offline

#3 2014-02-13 20:38:21

Pandamonium
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 123

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

I'm guessing that dogs will fall into pits, so they use cats to stop the dog falling into the pit?

Offline

#4 2014-02-13 20:40:01

Pandamonium
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 123

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

42dustman wrote:

The pits themselves are an obstacle which does not block vision and isn't as easily surpassed as windows and the cats are there so the dogs don't fall into the pit after seeing you.

I'm just thinking why they don't just windows instead of killing all these cats..

i.e. Pit | Window| Dog
rather than
Pit |Cat |Dog

considering cats and windows are very similarly priced.

Offline

#5 2014-02-13 20:51:49

42dustman
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 231

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Pandamonium wrote:
42dustman wrote:

The pits themselves are an obstacle which does not block vision and isn't as easily surpassed as windows and the cats are there so the dogs don't fall into the pit after seeing you.

I'm just thinking why they don't just windows instead of killing all these cats..

i.e. Pit | Window| Dog
rather than
Pit |Cat |Dog

considering cats and windows are very similarly priced.

Brick=$150
Ladder=$1800


Self-testing is torture.

Offline

#6 2014-02-13 20:53:02

jere
Member
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 540

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

I haven't built something like this, but let me take a stab.

It has to do with forcing robbers to take the dogs out with guns. Doing so requires spacing the dogs out every other tile, which is hard to do in hallway because of camera shifting.


Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

Offline

#7 2014-02-13 20:54:03

iceman
Member
Registered: 2013-11-09
Posts: 687
Website

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Since dogs won't step beside a dead animal unless the robber's there, the cats in the pits keep the dogs from getting within clubbing range of the robber.


Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Offline

#8 2014-02-13 21:17:10

Pandamonium
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 123

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

42dustman wrote:
Pandamonium wrote:

I'm just thinking why they don't just windows instead of killing all these cats..
i.e. Pit | Window| Dog
rather than
Pit |Cat |Dog
considering cats and windows are very similarly priced.

Brick=$150
Ladder=$1800

I'm presuming the dog will walk past the broken window and into the pit?


iceman wrote:

Since dogs won't step beside a dead animal unless the robber's there, the cats in the pits keep the dogs from getting within clubbing range of the robber.

That makes sense now.

Pit | Window| Dog
==> brick window, dog walks into pit = $150 + $1800 = $1950

Pit |Cat |Dog
==> Ladder then Shoot Pit Dog = $1800 + $1200 = $3000

Edit: Pit vs Pit; confusing

Last edited by Pandamonium (2014-02-13 21:18:46)

Offline

#9 2014-02-13 22:15:43

joshwithguitar
Member
Registered: 2013-07-28
Posts: 538

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

This seems to have become popular ever since I did it as Mr Price... I've been trying to master the art of space efficient wife defence for a while now and still haven't settled on a perfect design. The problem with this one is that it only really works perfectly if someone has already been successful at robbing you and left a whole bunch of dead animals in your pits for you.

Last edited by joshwithguitar (2014-02-15 02:47:36)

Offline

#10 2014-02-13 22:25:06

Pandamonium
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 123

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

joshwithguitar wrote:

The problem with this one is that it only really works perfectly if someone has already been successful at robbing you and left a while bunch of dead animals in your pits for you.

http://castledraft.com/editor/RI1hCE

Too extreme?

Last edited by Pandamonium (2014-02-13 22:25:47)

Offline

#11 2014-02-14 01:24:44

joshwithguitar
Member
Registered: 2013-07-28
Posts: 538

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

This kind of idea can work as long as you are willing to do the long slog of building yourself up from nothing once you get robbed. It is of course very easy to do this with multiple accounts but I'd consider that cheating. Something like this would be more practical: http://castledraft.com/editor/KNaZEg

Offline

#12 2014-02-14 04:48:01

arakira
Member
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 176

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

joshwithguitar wrote:

This seems to have become popular ever since I did it as Mr Price... I've been trying to master the art of space efficient wife defence for a while now and still haven't settled on a perfect design. The problem with this one is that it only really works perfectly if someone has already been successful at robbing you and left a while bunch of dead animals in your pits for you.

As far as I can remember, I've seen this technique very often in most top houses since I started to play this game (november). I've used this http://castledraft.com/editor/MVz1dv also, it is a bit similar to Josh's proposition. Actually it may be a bit more efficient, because you can't force any pitbull to jump into a pit by bricking a cat.

Last edited by arakira (2014-02-14 04:50:33)

Offline

#13 2014-02-14 05:48:10

joshwithguitar
Member
Registered: 2013-07-28
Posts: 538

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Well, the idea with the zig-zaging pit is to force them to use more guns per tile - that is 3 guns per 4 tiles instead of 2. Sure you can bring guns and ladders instead but this is still more expensive than 2 guns per 4 tiles. I really don't remember seeing it exactly like the way I did it before, of course there have been many variations on that theme.

Offline

#14 2014-02-14 07:34:31

ventuswings
Member
Registered: 2014-01-23
Posts: 55

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Offline

#15 2014-02-14 07:43:20

ukuko
Member
Registered: 2013-04-06
Posts: 333

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Because a gun every two tiles is more expensive than two clubs.

Offline

#16 2014-02-14 08:24:27

Kimenzar
Member
Registered: 2014-02-04
Posts: 183

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

ventuswings wrote:

Shoot the first dog, step on the dead dog, club the next, go to step 2

2 pistols and 39(if i count right) clubs are enough to kill your wife

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-02-14 08:25:17)

Offline

#17 2014-02-14 08:28:13

arakira
Member
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 176

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Kimenzar wrote:
ventuswings wrote:

Shoot the first dog, step on the dead dog, club the next, go to step 2

2 pistols and 39(if i count right) clubs are enough to kill your wife

Even less than that: you can brick the cat to save a gun.

Offline

#18 2014-02-14 08:29:15

arakira
Member
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 176

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

joshwithguitar wrote:

Well, the idea with the zig-zaging pit is to force them to use more guns per tile - that is 3 guns per 4 tiles instead of 2. Sure you can bring guns and ladders instead but this is still more expensive than 2 guns per 4 tiles. I really don't remember seeing it exactly like the way I did it before, of course there have been many variations on that theme.

Oh yes you right, I forgot about that detail! To set up your fallen cats in the zig-zag scheme, you could consider letting one robber getting for free to your vault, in return he would permanently drive the cats into the pits. Then re-arrange the house. Would you consider that cheating? (I don't)

Last edited by arakira (2014-02-14 08:32:52)

Offline

#19 2014-02-14 14:32:14

protox13
Member
Registered: 2014-01-25
Posts: 111

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

arakira wrote:
Kimenzar wrote:
ventuswings wrote:

Shoot the first dog, step on the dead dog, club the next, go to step 2

2 pistols and 39(if i count right) clubs are enough to kill your wife

Even less than that: you can brick the cat to save a gun.

Wait, so a dog two squares away won't move onto the tile between you two (that you are moving on to) if a dead animal is on it?

Offline

#20 2014-02-14 14:39:14

colorfusion
Member
Registered: 2013-04-02
Posts: 537

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

protox13 wrote:
arakira wrote:
Kimenzar wrote:

Shoot the first dog, step on the dead dog, club the next, go to step 2

2 pistols and 39(if i count right) clubs are enough to kill your wife

Even less than that: you can brick the cat to save a gun.

Wait, so a dog two squares away won't move onto the tile between you two (that you are moving on to) if a dead animal is on it?

Animals will never move onto a tile that another animal is on (dead or alive). This is a technical limitation of how the game can only have one mobile, one tile, and one player at most on a single spot (and other reasons like how it would be hard to tell how many animals were on a single spot).

They will also not move adjacent to a dead animal, unless you are on that tile. This rule is mainly just for balance purposes, and is occasionally broken such as if the pet is already on the adjacent tile, or jumps back to it when a robbery finishes.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-14 14:42:00)

Offline

#21 2014-02-14 14:45:33

protox13
Member
Registered: 2014-01-25
Posts: 111

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

colorfusion wrote:
protox13 wrote:
arakira wrote:

Even less than that: you can brick the cat to save a gun.

Wait, so a dog two squares away won't move onto the tile between you two (that you are moving on to) if a dead animal is on it?

Animals will never move onto a tile that another animal is on (dead or alive). This is a technical limitation of how the game can only have one mobile, one tile, and one player at most on a single spot (and other reasons like how it would be hard to tell how many animals were on a single spot).

They will also not move adjacent to a dead animal, unless you are on that tile. This rule is mainly just for balance purposes, and is occasionally broken such as if the pet is already on the adjacent tile, or jumps back to it when a robbery finishes.

Ah, thanks. That is an important distinction.

Offline

#22 2014-02-14 15:06:00

Nitrocore
Member
Registered: 2014-02-14
Posts: 3

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Am I missing something here? The more I play the game the more things stop making sense, especially with the higher valued houses. These drafts that people are posting, is it possible to get past those obstacles without the use of tools? This draft in particular http://castledraft.com/editor/MVz1dv.

Offline

#23 2014-02-14 15:13:36

colorfusion
Member
Registered: 2013-04-02
Posts: 537

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Nitrocore wrote:

Am I missing something here? The more I play the game the more things stop making sense, especially with the higher valued houses. These drafts that people are posting, is it possible to get past those obstacles without the use of tools? This draft in particular http://castledraft.com/editor/MVz1dv.

No, it doesn't look like it. The draft just seems to be someone demonstrating part of their trap for getting to their wife, not an entire valid house.

Offline

#24 2014-02-14 15:35:38

Nitrocore
Member
Registered: 2014-02-14
Posts: 3

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

colorfusion wrote:
Nitrocore wrote:

Am I missing something here? The more I play the game the more things stop making sense, especially with the higher valued houses. These drafts that people are posting, is it possible to get past those obstacles without the use of tools? This draft in particular http://castledraft.com/editor/MVz1dv.

No, it doesn't look like it. The draft just seems to be someone demonstrating part of their trap for getting to their wife, not an entire valid house.

Oh right. It's just I've been killed a few times by traps that didn't look like they made any sense. My brain obviously isn't wired up to even attempt some puzzles, because I started to think people were making unsolvable houses. I should stick to the lower priced scores, or maybe give up on robbing completely, hang those boots up and leave the number crunching to the big boys.

Offline

#25 2014-02-14 15:45:09

Pandamonium
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 123

Re: Can someone please explain this house?

Nitrocore wrote:

Oh right. It's just I've been killed a few times by traps that didn't look like they made any sense. My brain obviously isn't wired up to even attempt some puzzles, because I started to think people were making unsolvable houses. I should stick to the lower priced scores, or maybe give up on robbing completely, hang those boots up and leave the number crunching to the big boys.

If I may make a suggestion to you.

spend the first few days exploring people's homes, both high and low value.
It gives you a very good sense of what's hard to break and what's very easy. (you get a different perspective when there is very limited vision)

After that try building starter houses.

From there, if you get some cash from people dying to your traps you have one of 2 ways to go.
either "extend" your traps, or get enough cash to "wipe" the starter and change the puzzle completely.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB 1.5.8