The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-16 03:58:01

Cool_Roxas

What is this one person doing???

Abuse.jpg

Abuse2.jpg

He is preventing me to enter my house. Exit then enter, exit then enter. All within seconds. It is still happening at the time I post this. Maybe someone can help me knock some sense into him?

#2 2014-02-16 04:33:53

RevealingGekco

Re: What is this one person doing???

How long has this been going on?  It could be a script to try to lock you out... looks like he may have done a legit scout part way through the tapes in that first picture.

Last edited by RevealingGekco (2014-02-16 04:40:10)

#3 2014-02-16 05:08:18

Cool_Roxas

He is not scouting. He is just going back and forth 3 steps at maximum near the entrance. He has stopped for now as long as I don't visit his house again.

#4 2014-02-16 05:15:03

RevealingGekco

There's a few instances where he took more - 141, 37 and 187, which look like they may have been attempts to scout but it could have just been him dancing back and forth a bunch too.

There was a fix in the past to prevent people from locking others out by sitting in their house.  Sounds like the same issue except with multiple connects instead.   Seems like something that could be fixed by putting a few minute delay on reconnecting to a house.

#5 2014-02-16 05:57:31

sebastian

Another idea would be a queue system. Once you request to enter your house and its occupied by a robber, you will be put in a queue. When the robber goes out, you will immediately gain priority access given that your queue request is still pending.
To be able to see the house list, or security tapes, you must abandon your queue request.

Of course, the queue system would only apply to owner, not concurrent robbers, because else, all houses would be in queue all day long.

Last edited by sebastian (2014-02-16 06:02:03)

#6 2014-02-16 06:17:01

Cool_Roxas

He's still there o_o

Last edited by Cool_Roxas (2014-02-16 07:02:59)

#7 2014-02-16 08:42:41

iceman
Website

sebastian wrote:

Of course, the queue system would only apply to owner, not concurrent robbers, because else, all houses would be in queue all day long.

Now I'm just picturing a neighbothood with lines of robbers leading up to houses =P

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-02-16 09:38:11

sebastian

yes, that too.
Having a "queue" system only for the owner of the house, would be like coming home, see that a burgular is inside and just hide and wait until he left.

#9 2014-02-16 12:39:59

booper

i saw chad come to my place a few times, so i returned the favor. it quickly escalated... http://imgur.com/a/X24SU

:-D

#10 2014-02-16 19:50:47

Cool_Roxas

Something is wrong with this guy but it looks like he already met his demise tongue

#11 2014-02-17 12:02:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm... yeah, this is an issue!

I want to be careful here, because I don't want to give owners a way to "protect" their houses from robbery by hanging around in the queue.  I mean, a LEGIT robber SHOULD be able to "beat the owner back to their own house" and get in a second time, if the owner is snoozing.

Also, for situations where the owner isn't around, I don't really want to block a robber from multiple, quick visits.  I don't want the robber "waiting around" until some timer expires before going back.  Most of the time, this would be a pain.  "I know how to beat that house... but I must wait 5 minutes before I can try..."

And, if I put some sort of timer in place for the "last robber", this can be beaten with multiple accounts, so someone who really wants to harass can still harass.

You know, essentially, we don't want to make the game much worse for the 99.9% to thwart the idiotic behavior of the 0.1%.

#12 2014-02-17 12:22:34

sebastian

jasonrohrer: The queue system would not allow you to "hang around", since as soon as robber leaves or finishes robbery, you will immediately be put in your house, subject to the 5 minute edit time inactivity.

So If a owner wants to enter house:
1: Check if its occupied by a robber.
2: If occupied.
3: Place owner into queue.
4: Check if owner abandons queue or house becomes empty.
5: If owner abandons. About the house entry and put owner back to house list.
6: If house becomes empty: Goto 9
7: If none of these, wait 2 seconds, then Goto 4.
8: If house is empty:
9: Place owner into edit mode and start 5 minute timer.

If owner's client does not check queue status for lets say 7 seconds, abandon queue Place automatically.
If theres a non-abandoned queue Place on house, a new robber cannot enter this house  until the queue Place is satisfyed or abandoned.
If client check queue status and finds house empty, start 5 minute edit timer on server side, and put client into edit mode on server side (so client cannot get house list and such).

This would mean that everytime a robber is in a house, a owner can only block the house until the robber leaves. This means the owner will be next person to enter the house.
While the owner is in queue, owner cannot do anything else than check queue status or abandon queue. No browing security tapes, no browsing house list, no editing, nothing.
Queue is considered abandoned if the owner's client does not check queue status within 7 seconds from last check (if the client did check each 2 seconds, then it would require 3 packetloss to lose Place in queue)
Queue is considered satisfyed and edit being started (5 minute timer starts), and client is immediately, without confirmation, put into edit mode, if the client do a queue check and the queue check says the house is empty.

In short, such a queue system would not allow the user to protect a house more than he can do today.
If the owner would snooze, it wouldn't matter if he did it through queue, then the user would be in queue like 15 seconds, then in edit mode for 5 minutes, and then kicked out to house list again.
And during those 15 seconds, house is blocked for robbery anyways (since 2 robbers cannot be in the same house at the same time). So queue would not change the "protection time", house would still be protected like if the owner did enter straight after a robbery by spamming the "Go home" button until it succeeds.

See it more as a "Join the house as soon as it becomes available" thing for the owner.

When this function is implemented, scouters have to scout when someone is not watching the house, or try to scout as short times as possible to not get spotted by the owner. (eg when owner wants to enter his house).

Last edited by sebastian (2014-02-17 12:26:10)

Board footer