The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-15 05:01:54

TyrannosaurusHax

Painting Rush Contest

At the time of writing I have a $0 / 0 / 0 house with two paintings: Keep and Mountain, and if I counted correctly 234 kills (and a handful of successful robberies).

I will make no changes to my house.
I will attempt to steal the paintings back from whoever takes them.
I will not use tools.
No doubt I will be donating a bounty of over $117,000 unless there's a cap or something.

Would the first person to find my player name kindly post it?

Good luck!

#2 2014-02-15 06:18:15

jere

Re: Painting Rush Contest

Sounds like a sweet offer, but I checked the $0 houses and could not find any with paintings. I suppose it's very likely you could have gotten some more kills since..... in which case, I don't think I have much of a hope of finding them.

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 06:18:41)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2014-02-15 07:00:54

ukuko

Christopher D Roque

#4 2014-02-15 10:53:36

iceman
Website

Just to let you know, you only get someone's bounty if they die in your house, not if you rob them wink

EDIT: Never mind, I see how you're going to rob whoever robs you

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-15 14:31:28)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-02-15 11:17:54

42dustman

Pitbull Swarm blocked by merely two cats? Nope!

EDIT: Came back and thought I could hold back the swarm with a meat while I snooped around a little bit more, lost a 15k house because of it. sad

EDIT 2: Just 9k alway from building back to my past glory now. smile And here's an advice for future scouts: You will need 4 drugged meats and one door stopper if you want to get past the entry hall without getting trapped inside.

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-02-15 12:52:55)

Self-testing is torture.

#6 2014-02-15 14:01:35

Pandamonium

42dustman wrote:

And here's an advice for future scouts: You will need 4 drugged meats and one door stopper if you want to get past the entry hall without getting trapped inside.

if the dogs are blocked by 2 cats, wouldn't bricking the 2 cats be more cost efficient?

Last edited by Pandamonium (2014-02-15 14:01:45)

#7 2014-02-15 14:05:16

jere

I'm confused by this thread. Someone already took the paintings, right? Or is this offer still on the table?

I'm kind of scared to attempt anything because of TyrannosaurusHax's username and the suggestion that "I will attempt to steal the paintings back from whoever takes them. I will not use tools."....

#8 2014-02-15 14:49:45

42dustman

Pandamonium wrote:
42dustman wrote:

And here's an advice for future scouts: You will need 4 drugged meats and one door stopper if you want to get past the entry hall without getting trapped inside.

if the dogs are blocked by 2 cats, wouldn't bricking the 2 cats be more cost efficient?

It's actually 3 cats, there was another swarm in the upper part that I hadn't seen the first time around.

Self-testing is torture.

#9 2014-02-15 14:58:54

42dustman

jere wrote:

I'm kind of scared to attempt anything because of TyrannosaurusHax's username and the suggestion that "I will attempt to steal the paintings back from whoever takes them. I will not use tools."....

I thought I had finally found paradise: a Hackerless online pc game. Guess I will have to keep dreaming.

Self-testing is torture.

#10 2014-02-15 15:00:35

jere

I'd say mostly hacker free, but there have been known instances where it has happened recently.

#11 2014-02-15 15:12:00

iceman
Website

Well, I'll be back for another attempt in 24 hours =P (I'm the one with 3 saws, 3 meat, 2 water, and 2 bricks... as you can imagine, I really wish I had something OTHER than those waters at the end (and that I had used my tools more efficiently otherwise... still, you live and learn (through scouting =P))

How'd I do compared to the other attempts? =P

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-15 15:15:00)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#12 2014-02-15 16:06:52

jere

Not sure if I was the first one because I thought I had checked this morning and Roque didn't have the paintings but then later did, but...

I did it! smile

That was kind of intense. I wasn't going to take many risks, but my last stab at it was going to bring my house value down to almost nothing if I had failed.

Funny story. I was chain robbing the other day and came across Roque. I got all the way to the last combo lock and wrote it down to come back without tools. I even have it written down here on a sheet of paper! In the 10 seconds it took me to go back into my house and return, Roque actually got back in and started fixing his place up. So.... I've been eyeing that place for a while wink

THax: double or nothing. I'm holding, on top of Mountain and Keep, two very nice paintings: Watermelon and Inspiration.

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 16:12:42)

#13 2014-02-15 17:38:41

TyrannosaurusHax

Thanks for playing, everyone. Especially the 24 new victims and those who lost tools just poking around.
I'm quite pleased with the response.

I particularly want to congratulate whoever was Stanley Michael Richmond, as he's the only one...

THE ONLY ONE...

to get past the puzzle section of the house properly. Basically this: http://castledraft.com/editor/15TjNW
To be fair it was possible to gain line of sight to the first dog an odd number of tiles away, but you could see that dog from the doormat without him seeing you so that's fine I think.
You could also see enough to know that you could get out of the leftmost gauntlet without tools and that there were plenty of dogs to use.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in the successful robber to be honest. Nevertheless I will deliver.
More to the point the fact that it's taken so many people before someone got past this one puzzle without tools is disheartening.

I think next time I will make a puzzle house and only reward the bounty if someone completes it without tools...though I don't know that I can design a house full of puzzles that are tricky...and in any case I'd have at least one combo lock at the end until I'm ready to aggro the entire world again so don't get any ideas there =p

No dogs-will-eat-you-if-you-don't-get-the-3-digit-combo-lock or anything though.
That part was originally there purely as a commitment trap. When the wiring was less visible I believe it was the most effective commitment trap I've ever had.

42dustman wrote:

I thought I had finally found paradise: a Hackerless online pc game. Guess I will have to keep dreaming.

I'm going to attempt to rob this guy with no tools. Depending on how his house is built there is probably a 99.99999% chance I will die in it. My bounty is the prize, as well as the paintings.

#14 2014-02-15 17:42:33

iceman
Website

By getting past the puzzle section properly, do you mean without tools?

I loved the dog dispenser, btw wink

#15 2014-02-15 17:48:40

TyrannosaurusHax

Well it's done...I have a sinking feeling the bounty may have been many times less than expected...unless I can't see the updated value yet.
Please let us know how that turned out, jere.

Or should I say Charles Jeffrey Penn

Last edited by TyrannosaurusHax (2014-02-15 17:50:44)

#16 2014-02-15 17:56:08

jere

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in the successful robber to be honest.

:\ Why? Because I used tools? As Jason has said, this isn't a puzzle game. It's a tactical game. A combo lock is the clearest sign of that... it's not a puzzle. There's no way to cleverly "solve" a combo lock. You make a guess and 99% of the time you're wrong. I thought I did pretty well with what little I had.

I'm going to attempt to rob this guy with no tools. Depending on how his house is built there is probably a 99.99999% chance I will die in it. My bounty is the prize, as well as the paintings.

Well anyway, thanks! I had fun. For some reason when you said $117k bounty, I wasn't thinking clearly and thought you had actually been keeping a tally. But you got $117k from 234 deaths. In fact, bounties don't take into account people dying in your house. Your bounty ended up being $1100. So I ended up losing about $5k in total. All in all, not a bad deal for two paintings and a bit of fun.

Well it's done...I have a sinking feeling the bounty may have been many times less than expected...unless I can't see the updated value yet.
Please let us know how that turned out, jere.
Or should I say Charles Jeffrey Penn

Heh, yea you can say that. About two orders of magnitude off. Thanks for telling me my name!

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 17:58:09)

#17 2014-02-15 18:01:26

jere

Reading your post a little more, I think you mean you had part of the house that was a puzzle house and you wanted someone to solve it without tools. Still not sure I agree, since it requires a 1 in 3 guess. No?. Oh, I see now. I find it interesting, but it still requires hidden information. There's no way to just mentally "work out" that section until you already know the layout... which is hidden.

I imagine you could build a house that was just a puzzle, but if you think about what that means anyone could come in and with enough thoughtfulness rob you 100% of the time. I'm not sure that's the game I want to play. It was kind of like when blueprints where around, but the puzzles ended up being extremely complicated electronics.

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 18:30:25)

#18 2014-02-15 20:11:44

Pandamonium

jere wrote:

Thanks for telling me my name!

Holy mother of monkeys your welcome mat view is scary!!!

Do you get much commitment?

#19 2014-02-15 20:31:45

jere

Heh. I had a much more inviting house, which looked like this:

OVrnFpL.png

It was tricky for a few reasons. Mainly that the first floor is on a clock and taking 2 steps killed you. Kind of funny seeing almost all my tapes having 2 steps. Then the next switch was super-sticky. Then the part on the right is a dead end even though it looks like someone cut their way through to the vault....

My plan was always to upgrade when necessary. Well, it became necessary when someone got through all but the last part on Friday. He even had a ladder to guess the last part (1 out of 4 chance).

So I've definitely shifted from inviting mode to turtle mode. My commitment percentage is actually fine, which is probably due to my house value. My main problem now is I've seen a HUGE decrease in activity in the past couple days. Only seen ~10 visitors all day.

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 20:34:07)

#20 2014-02-15 22:46:13

Lord0fHam

jere wrote:

Heh. I had a much more inviting house, which looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/OVrnFpL.png

It was tricky for a few reasons. Mainly that the first floor is on a clock and taking 2 steps killed you. Kind of funny seeing almost all my tapes having 2 steps. Then the next switch was super-sticky. Then the part on the right is a dead end even though it looks like someone cut their way through to the vault....

My plan was always to upgrade when necessary. Well, it became necessary when someone got through all but the last part on Friday. He even had a ladder to guess the last part (1 out of 4 chance).

So I've definitely shifted from inviting mode to turtle mode. My commitment percentage is actually fine, which is probably due to my house value. My main problem now is I've seen a HUGE decrease in activity in the past couple days. Only seen ~10 visitors all day.

Same with me, my house does NOT look inviting, but I have a >2/3 commitment rate for some reason. However, it has really slowed down today. And i think you bought that sweet Keep painting i wanted.

It's a trap!

#21 2014-02-16 00:44:59

TyrannosaurusHax

Just to be clear I was only disappointed at you coming back after being in the house previously and still brute forcing the solvable section.
As much as I'd have been happier to see the guy who solved it win he came in with no tools and I certainly did not have a solvable house.

Sorry about the bounty, though I'm pretty sure noone corrected me on the implicit notion that receiving bounties increases ones own bounty.
Obviously this contest thing can't really work in future unless I pull of an awful lot of robberies first...
I could always buy more paintings but that going to the winner is intrinsically within the game mechanics anyway.

Regarding solvable houses, it all depends on your preferences. Unless I decide to try to survive at the top of the money leaderboard I'm always going to have sections of my house that are built more for novelty than effectiveness.
I'd like to build a house with ever-increasingly difficult puzzles and then finally a very strong set of combo locks at the end.
Speaking of novelty I highly recommend filling your walls with dogs.

(Edit: let's use words correctly)

Last edited by TyrannosaurusHax (2014-02-16 02:31:37)

#22 2014-02-16 01:31:46

Pandamonium

TyrannosaurusHax wrote:

Speaking of novelty I highly recommend filling your walls with dogs.

Hehe; http://castledraft.com/editor/uzbxFg

#23 2014-02-16 02:32:57

TyrannosaurusHax

^ Within wooden walls near the front door is best - the people who come in with 5 saws are usually some of the most entertaining victims

#24 2014-02-16 08:38:26

iceman
Website

TyrannosaurusHax wrote:

Sorry about the bounty, though I'm pretty sure noone corrected me on the implicit notion that receiving bounties increases ones own bounty.
Obviously this contest thing can't really work in future unless I pull of an awful lot of robberies first...
I could always buy more paintings but that going to the winner is intrinsically within the game mechanics anyway.

If you have money from the wife left, you could let your robber give you a loadout, or just tell you how much money you can spend in tools.  That way, they can take the risk of being robbed at the reward of receiving tools, or take the safer route of having you try it without tools.

Board footer