The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-16 01:27:09

Silence

Setting up a server for test runs All are welcomed :D

Hey guys im going to be setting up a server in the next few days for those who would like to do test runs or for those who enjoy dominating the server and just want to dominate this one aswell big_smile

Last edited by Silence (2014-02-16 02:02:50)

#2 2014-02-16 02:01:16

Silence

Re: Setting up a server for test runs All are welcomed :D

Ive gotten the Forums for it Up big_smile

Because im a poor bitch its free so

www.jakespanel.uphero.com

#3 2014-02-16 07:33:14

42dustman

c533622641c267ce559045715750ca8fd33cb687.gif

Self-testing is torture.

#4 2014-02-16 12:47:40

Lord0fHam

What do you mean for "test runs"? Are there going to be any changes like house size or starting money? Either way, I look forward to it!

It's a trap!

#5 2014-02-16 13:14:36

Silence

Starting money will be in the 50k

#6 2014-02-16 13:28:03

iceman
Website

You could also make everything free, so you can test whatever you want (50k *should* be enough to test whatever you want, though wink )

Also, website still doesn't seem to be up?

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-16 13:28:21)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2014-02-16 13:30:40

Silence

Its up for me....

#8 2014-02-16 13:33:57

iceman
Website

It's saying that the website is under review.  Seems like they do it for every site hosted there, it will just take a few hours for the rest of us to see it.

Also, I noticed on the right that it says "Free PHP hosting" and "Free hosting with mySQL"... I'm probably being waaaaaay to hopeful, but does anyone know if that means we can host a CastleDoctrine there for free?  I'm guessing it's just website related, but just in case...

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#9 2014-02-16 13:35:48

Silence

http://prntscr.com/2t45zg

and yes thats were i will be hosting mine

CLICK HERE FOR THE FORUMS

#10 2014-02-16 13:48:26

iceman
Website

Silence wrote:

and yes thats were i will be hosting mine

That's awesome!  Now there's actually hope for making a full, gamechanging mod! big_smile

Here's what I'm seeing on the website, though:
original.jpg

#11 2014-02-16 13:55:34

Silence

Hmm strange i have serveral friend im talking to on skype they say they can see it.....

#12 2014-02-16 13:56:34

Silence

Development is paused until i can get a second webhost to host the SQL and PHP part of the game

[Im waiting for my second Website to get approved so i can host the website on a emptyed on not one with a forums]

i will be using the same host though

Last edited by Silence (2014-02-16 13:57:44)

#13 2014-02-16 14:10:18

Silence

This is how far i am on the install though
i wonder if jason could help me with this one

JDxcPMJ.png

#14 2014-02-19 19:16:46

iceman
Website

Any luck with getting this to work?  When you do get it working, do you think you could write a basic guide for how you did it?

#15 2014-02-20 07:03:30

MMaster

There is nice guide in the sources under CastleDoctrine/server/HowToInstall.txt
I've got my server working using that guide

EDIT: Talking about the modded server - I've got one I used for testing. If anyone would be interested and has some great ideas for mods I would be open to make a free server for everyone (I own quite a few servers around the world ;-) )

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-20 07:05:58)

#16 2014-02-20 08:53:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

If you poke around in the recordedGame file for that run where you got the bad response from the reflector, you should be able to find the response that the reflector sent.  Search the recording text for:

wb 0 2

That's the response for web request 0.

If the reflector is working correctly, it should just be a URL to the server.php file.

If it's not working, you may see some PHP warnings or errors that it is sending instead.

Of course, you can also test your reflector directly by going to it's url with your web browser.

#17 2014-02-20 11:34:06

MMaster

I have the basic server up and running - it is accessible by default game client so no custom build is needed. Currently it's set to default values like the main server. I still don't have forums running and I don't want to clutter tcd forums, but I wanted to let you know so you can send me an email with your email address if you would like access to the server (click on my name to the left and then Send email). I will reply back with the reflectorUrl.ini file and your login data and instructions how to get your client to connect to this server as soon as I can. If you would like to see some special changes to the server (like lower prices or so) let me know and if enough people will want the same change I will change it. As I want this server to be completely free the first change I will probably do will be self-register page so you can register without me. I know it's not very good solution as everyone can have as many accounts as they want, but I'm not sure how to solve it differently yet (suggestions are welcome).
Currently the server is empty so there is no one to rob from so we will see how this will go.
Forums will come soon.

#18 2014-02-20 11:49:44

iceman
Website

MMaster wrote:

There is nice guide in the sources under CastleDoctrine/server/HowToInstall.txt
I've got my server working using that guide

EDIT: Talking about the modded server - I've got one I used for testing. If anyone would be interested and has some great ideas for mods I would be open to make a free server for everyone (I own quite a few servers around the world ;-) )

It's the "Experience with web server administration and installing PHP/MySQL scripts is assumed." part that gets me wink I really want to learn, I just don't know where to start

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-20 11:55:31)

#19 2014-02-20 12:07:29

MMaster

iceman wrote:

It's the "Experience with web server administration and installing PHP/MySQL scripts is assumed." part that gets me wink I really want to learn, I just don't know where to start

Oh right. That really depends on the provider of your web hosting. If you have your own server it depends on operating system that you use, but there are usually guides on the internet how to get LAMP server working (Web, PHP and mysql).

It is hard to write universal guide for that :-) But try to look for guides to setup LAMP server.

#20 2014-02-20 17:07:48

iceman
Website

MMaster wrote:
iceman wrote:

Oh right. That really depends on the provider of your web hosting. If you have your own server it depends on operating system that you use, but there are usually guides on the internet how to get LAMP server working (Web, PHP and mysql).

It is hard to write universal guide for that :-) But try to look for guides to setup LAMP server.

I was thinking about using the free hosting that Silence is using if this turns out well, which is why I was wanting some basic ideas of how to get started for it.  Ideas for a mod have been bouncing around in my head for a while, and since I didn't have a computer that I could use as a server the free hosting really surprised me.  I might take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out, though wink

Speaking of the mod, it turns out that there's not as many additions you can make.  I keep on thinking "You know what would be cool? Snakes!", think about it for a bit, and realize how it would ruin wife defense.  My latest "failed idea" was curtains, that block vision but not movement.  Here's a video where I modded switches to do the same thing:
http://www.twitch.tv/theiceman76/c/3759346

Can you just imagine mazes that make you complete the entire thing blind? =P

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-20 17:31:59)

#21 2014-02-20 17:18:48

colorfusion

iceman wrote:
MMaster wrote:
iceman wrote:

I was thinking about using the free hosting that Silence is using if this turns out well, which is why I was wanting some basic ideas of how to get started for it.  Ideas for a mod have been bouncing around in my head for a while, and since I didn't have a computer that I could use as a server the free hosting really surprised me.  I might take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out, though wink

Speaking of the mod, it turns out that there's not as many additions you can make.  I keep on thinking "You know what would be cool? Snakes!", think about it for a bit, and realize how it would ruin wife defense.  My latest "failed idea" was curtains, that block vision but not movement.  Here's a video where I modded switches to do the same thing:
http://castledraft.com/editor/5uL8Bn

That appears to be a link to the castledraft you made for the last thread you were on. tongue

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-20 17:19:03)

#22 2014-02-20 17:33:45

iceman
Website

No no no, that's what I was trying to show you!  Isn't that button terrifying?!?!?

Since you don't seem to get the genius of that design, I've updated my post with something you might understand a bit better.

(Oopsies)

#23 2014-02-20 18:11:57

MMaster

iceman wrote:

No no no, that's what I was trying to show you!  Isn't that button terrifying?!?!?

Since you don't seem to get the genius of that design, I've updated my post with something you might understand a bit better.

(Oopsies)

Lol smile

iceman wrote:

http://www.twitch.tv/theiceman76/c/3759346

I understand that. I have no problem of hosting server for your ideas. I can even make more sub-servers, but I think one is good enough (nobody has wrote me an email yet smile ).
Anyone can contribute - I want this to be community server. If you have good ideas and even better if you know how to implement them smile we can try them on this server.
I already have the register page ready, but I need to update the server to v33. But everyone will be free to register and as soon as you create account you will get exact instructions how to connect to the server. It's not beautiful, but it works :-)
But it's too late now. I'm going to sleep and finish it tomorrow.

#24 2014-02-21 20:20:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Trying to set your own LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) thing up from scratch is pretty complicated (though it's rather easy if you just install Ubuntu and then turn on those packages---it kinda just works, except for the database admin part).

In the real world, I've mostly been using web hosts that give me a web-based cPanel, which lets me easily create databases, create database users, assign users to databases, and so on.  "phpMyAdmin" is another variant on this (web-based control panel for doing MySQL setup stuff).

That's the only part that's not really covered in my instructions.

#25 2014-02-21 22:56:05

iceman
Website

Silence, any luck with the reflector error?

Board footer