The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-18 02:29:56

MMaster

Wife money splitting broken after vault is emptied?

Hi,

I've read on wiki that "The wife carries half of the money that the household had left over after the last self-test plus half of all money earned through robbery and any bounties collected from robbers she personally killed with the shotgun. If she is killed during the robbery, the money can be stolen by walking over the body. The remaining money, paintings and tools can be stolen by reaching the vault. " However it seems there is something broken, because when my vault was robbed and my wife carried half of the money after last self-test - she had ~4000. I did not change anything on the house and just a while after I can see that one guy died in my house giving me 100 bounty and then another guy went through broken house just to steal half of the money that wife was supposed to have. Why was he able to steal ~2000 when the safe was already broken in and wife was supposed to have all money except for $100 from last bounty? Is it supposed to be that way?

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-18 03:28:59)

#2 2014-02-18 03:06:44

Pandamonium

Re: Wife money splitting broken after vault is emptied?

AFAIK, it's 50% of what you have as cash (doesn't count tools) you have at time of robbery.
It might be an idea to build in commitment traps that cause your home to "save" at a point where its impossible for the next person.

Of course unless the robbery happens to be a 100% tunneling exercise, nothing much u can do about those (except use fewer wooden walls.

#3 2014-02-18 03:21:24

MMaster

Pandamonium wrote:

AFAIK, it's 50% of what you have as cash (doesn't count tools) you have at time of robbery.
It might be an idea to build in commitment traps that cause your home to "save" at a point where its impossible for the next person.

Of course unless the robbery happens to be a 100% tunneling exercise, nothing much u can do about those (except use fewer wooden walls.

Oh. I've always thought that you can use wife as secondary vault, but this way .. it's strange as when the first one brute forces all traps all the others have clear way (that's what happened) to come and take half of what otherwise untouched wife is supposed to have, because robbers took everything from the vault.

Good to know that. I will take it into consideration in my next house design. Thanks!

EDIT: If anybody would be concerned I fixed the wiki article to reflect current state http://thecastledoctrine.gamepedia.com/ … se_Robbing

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-18 03:26:26)

#4 2014-02-18 05:52:32

colorfusion

I think it's just split after self test AND if you buy/sell tools.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-18 05:54:34)

#5 2014-02-18 06:03:59

MMaster

colorfusion wrote:

I didn't do anything after my house was robbed and I'm 100% sure I had > 4000 after robber took ~10000 worth of tools + 4000 cash. So it looks like Pandamonium is right. At least with the current state of how it works.

#6 2014-02-18 06:29:28

colorfusion

MMaster wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

I didn't do anything after my house was robbed and I'm 100% sure I had > 4000 after robber took ~10000 worth of tools + 4000 cash. So it looks like Pandamonium is right. At least with the current state of how it works.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thanks for working on this, folks!

3:

The wife gets half of the total money, even-steven, every time you return home and either edit something OR buy/sell tools.  This re-division does not happen if you return home to buy paintings but don't edit the house or buy/sell tools.

After that, while you are away, the wife gets bounties from any robbers that SHE kills directly with the shotgun.  Other bounties (from deaths elsewhere in the house), plus tools from all dead robbers, are added to the vault.

There are currently no salaries paid, and I don't think that's going to change.

It may have changed since then, but I doubt it's like Pandamonium described. Haven't you seen a house where the wife has all the money? Those wouldn't be existent if it split at the start of every robbery.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-18 10:12:12)

#7 2014-02-18 07:36:31

MMaster

colorfusion wrote:

It may have changed since then, but I highly doubt it. Haven't you seen a house where the wife has all the money? Those wouldn't be existent if it split at the start of every robbery.

I did! That's why I originally put [BUG?] into the subject. Maybe it is really broken and when someone steals money from vault and then another one comes and dies for $100 bounty the money are split again. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. It was literally like this: I woke up and saw that someone broke into my vault, I closed the game without changing anything on house or even passing the self test that is needed after your vault was emptied. I came to work and looked at tapes and I saw 1 guy die for $100 bounty and another guy steal another $2000 from vault (wife is still alive and he didn't even see the wife).

#8 2014-02-18 07:44:52

iceman
Website

I've actually noticed that if you jump in your house, but *don't change anything*, and leave, it'll reset your house.  I had a house that I logged onto, saw someone had robbed it, and left.  I thought my house would still be hidden, since I didn't change anything, but when I came back 10 minutes later the same person had robbed me again, this time for half of what was left.

So, if you visit your house, even if you change nothing the house resets and money is split.  I think that's a bug

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#9 2014-02-18 08:05:46

ukuko

Yeah, your wife's money gets split should you so much as poke your head back in the door.

Although I guess that encourages you to fix up your house lest you lose it all again.

#10 2014-02-18 10:04:16

MMaster

iceman wrote:

I've actually noticed that if you jump in your house, but *don't change anything*, and leave, it'll reset your house.  I had a house that I logged onto, saw someone had robbed it, and left.  I thought my house would still be hidden, since I didn't change anything, but when I came back 10 minutes later the same person had robbed me again, this time for half of what was left.

So, if you visit your house, even if you change nothing the house resets and money is split.  I think that's a bug

Unfortunately that makes sense. Good catch. I usually just look at the tapes while I eat my breakfast, but I don't have time to fix my house when someone has broken into it. So that means - don't run the game unless you have time to fix your house sad

Btw. whoever has done that - thanks for fixing the wiki back. I just wanted to update it smile

#11 2014-03-03 14:35:31

DarkKat48

That is a really frustrating part of the game.  The wife honestly should be worth half of whatever the house is worth not including tools.  Had a bounty for 3600 from a guy with no tools.   Of course also during the night someone finally did successfully rob my house leaving me with 50 dollars and taking all the cash.  Just seems to make the wife really useless if she isn't actively keeping half the cash, I can see why people just have their family killed since the family is practically useless and the vault is always 'all in' unless you are on your account 24 hours a day.

#12 2014-03-03 14:41:20

colorfusion

DarkKat48 wrote:

That is a really frustrating part of the game.  The wife honestly should be worth half of whatever the house is worth not including tools.  Had a bounty for 3600 from a guy with no tools.   Of course also during the night someone finally did successfully rob my house leaving me with 50 dollars and taking all the cash.  Just seems to make the wife really useless if she isn't actively keeping half the cash, I can see why people just have their family killed since the family is practically useless and the vault is always 'all in' unless you are on your account 24 hours a day.

It used to be like that. You could reach the vault multiple times to steal all the money, making the wife even more useless, and completely obliterate the house in the process.

#13 2014-03-03 14:45:59

DarkKat48

It seems that is exactly how the wife is.  Is it a bug?

#14 2014-03-03 14:49:41

colorfusion

DarkKat48 wrote:

It seems that is exactly how the wife is.  Is it a bug?

Currently it should only split when you open the game and do things in your house.

#15 2014-03-03 14:57:49

DarkKat48

Seems like a bit of a under sight in my opinion.  How are you suppose to improve your house at all?  Realistically the game shouldn't demand you be on it 24 hours a day.  There has to be a little give to promote players to at least get to the mid range of the game.   I hope that its changes to have the wife actively keep half the money to reward players for dedicating defenses to her more worth wild.  The game is already punishing as it is, I don't think forcing people to never shut it down or sleep should be part of that punishment.

#16 2014-03-03 15:09:40

eppfel
Website

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can actually log in and look at your house after being robbed without half of the wives money goes to the vault. You just have to close the game right away without clicking done, because this resets the house.

#17 2014-03-03 15:12:13

colorfusion

DarkKat48 wrote:

Seems like a bit of a under sight in my opinion.  How are you suppose to improve your house at all?  Realistically the game shouldn't demand you be on it 24 hours a day.  There has to be a little give to promote players to at least get to the mid range of the game.   I hope that its changes to have the wife actively keep half the money to reward players for dedicating defenses to her more worth wild.  The game is already punishing as it is, I don't think forcing people to never shut it down or sleep should be part of that punishment.

Having the wife always have half the money would only increase these issues from what I see. You'd need to be on more often, the game would be harsher, the wife would be less useful, and it would be harder to keep up a house with a wife.

You don't need to be on the game 24 hours a day, although like any game the more you're on the more you can progress. I've left my house unedited for a week and still been unrobbed when I came back. Although don't expect to have a house like that immediately, I was about a month into playing the game before my first house lasted a full day left alone. It's still possible to build and progress.

#18 2014-03-03 15:20:32

DarkKat48

No its more that money made while you are logged off is not split to the wife.  So lets say you sign off your house is worth 200, the wife has 100.  Now a bunch of people rob your house, none of those bounties are given to the wife and it all goes straight to the vault via one of my pitbulls carrying it over there I presume.  So lets presume you make 500 in bounties not including tools left.  If someone robs your house they would get 600 instead of 350 unless you logged into your house before a successful robber. 

I just think it should be that your wife actively gets half of the bounty money and all of the bounty money (should she kill someone with a shotgun / panic button triggered trap)  though I believe that is how it works as far as kills she gets with a shotgun.

#19 2014-03-03 15:24:20

DarkKat48

colorfusion wrote:

Having the wife always have half the money would only increase these issues from what I see. You'd need to be on more often, the game would be harsher, the wife would be less useful, and it would be harder to keep up a house with a wife.

You don't need to be on the game 24 hours a day, although like any game the more you're on the more you can progress. I've left my house unedited for a week and still been unrobbed when I came back. Although don't expect to have a house like that immediately, I was about a month into playing the game before my first house lasted a full day left alone. It's still possible to build and progress.

Possibly, but it is hard to improve anything with no money.  So either its a constant cycle of just making starter houses never able to improve your designs or you babysit your house trying to improve upon it.  I suppose one way of saying you 'won' the game is to drain all your money from your house and have your wife be alive so that no one bothers to rob it.

#20 2014-03-03 15:24:30

colorfusion

DarkKat48 wrote:

No its more that money made while you are logged off is not split to the wife.  So lets say you sign off your house is worth 200, the wife has 100.  Now a bunch of people rob your house, none of those bounties are given to the wife and it all goes straight to the vault via one of my pitbulls carrying it over there I presume.  So lets presume you make 500 in bounties not including tools left.  If someone robs your house they would get 600 instead of 350 unless you logged into your house before a successful robber. 

I just think it should be that your wife actively gets half of the bounty money and all of the bounty money (should she kill someone with a shotgun / panic button triggered trap)  though I believe that is how it works as far as kills she gets with a shotgun.

Then the successful robber could come back all he wants and drive your home down to $0, and possibly obliterating your house in the process, that's what pretty much always happened when it was like what you are describing. They could completely ignore the wife and still get rid of all the money that she holds.

Your broken house would stay on the list, so you need to come back as fast as you can to repair it before it gets completely broken and robbed by other people, even if the original robber doesn't take all the money.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-05 10:39:37)

#21 2014-03-03 15:33:02

DarkKat48

colorfusion wrote:

Now the successful robber can come back all he wants and drive your home down to $0, and possibly obliterating your house in the process, that's what pretty much always happened when it was like what you are describing. They could completely ignore the wife and still get rid of all the money that she holds.

Oh I don't think it should be like that either.  I wouldn't want to see the mechanics of the 'broken vault' changed at all.  Just the wife should always get half the money.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.  As it stands if someone wants to obliterate you regardless they would come kill the wife and rob the vault back to back.

#22 2014-03-05 08:58:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the way that it works is that as soon as you come home, the wife re-splits the money with you (in other words, 50/50 again with the vault).

The only way a "broken vault" can linger is if you don't return home.

As far as "just peeking in" without self testing.... you mean leaving to watch tapes, I'm guessing, because that's the only thing you can do without self testing.  It's not like you can go out robbing again (unless you leave to watch tapes and hope some other robber comes in to block you from your own house and dump you to the menu screen).

This is the intended behavior.

BUT... it is NOT true that a robber dying in your house, and leaving a bounty in the vault, will cause the money to be re-split.  I just tested and verified this.  If the vault is broken/empty, and a robber leaves a $100 bounty, then the vault contains nothing but $100, and the wife keeps whatever she was holding.

UNLESS you come home!

#23 2014-03-05 13:02:58

MMaster

jasonrohrer wrote:

As far as "just peeking in" without self testing.... you mean leaving to watch tapes, I'm guessing, because that's the only thing you can do without self testing.  It's not like you can go out robbing again (unless you leave to watch tapes and hope some other robber comes in to block you from your own house and dump you to the menu screen).

Thanks for explanation Jason. I just closed the game back then after seeing I was robbed as I didn't have time to rebuild my house.

Board footer