The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 12:03:52

tons0phun

[Bug] Pits and Pitbulls

People are exploiting some behavior where pitbulls will not move beyond a pit diagonal to them, until a player is adjacent to the pitbull.
Most all of the current top-houses use this in some manner.

PitbullPitExploit1.png

PitbullPitExploit2.png

PitbullPitExploit3.png

#2 2014-01-26 12:08:40

iceman
Website

Re: [Bug] Pits and Pitbulls

If you mouseover the pits, you'll see the tooltip saying there's a crippled cat in them.  Pitbulls won't step beside a dead animal unless you're beside them.

Here's the reason why:

iceman wrote:

I think he means the point of why dogs won't move near dead animals.

The reason is because, due to the way the game is designed, dogs can't step on the same tile as another "Mobile" (Animals, panic button, and shotgun).  That means that if you're standing on a dog corpse, you're perfectly safe from dogs.

Now, if the dogs DIDN'T stay away from dog corpses (like they do now), hallways of dogs would be trivial to pass.  You'd simply shoot the first one, stay behind the corpse until the rest of the dogs lined up on the other side.  Then, step on the corpse, and the dogs will be right beside you in clubbing range, but since you're on a corpse, they can't kill you.

The way it is now, since they'll only step beside a corpse if YOU are there, you can't step on a corpse and club dogs safely.

gyuri wrote:

So there's no way to go past this dog without a gun, am I right?

Correct

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-01-26 20:40:36

Pixelhouse

I have a question about pits and pitbulls.
A5ADDAtl.png

In this situation were i'm builing a code to go down, would the dog fall in the pit if it spots the robber?
Or neatly follow the robber down?

Or are there any other alternatives to protect your dog in some way?
Thanks in advance. Still pretty new to this and couldn't find anything in the wiki and dogs are expensive tongue!

#4 2014-01-26 20:45:01

Cabnormal

Just put a window in front of the pit. The dog will see through the window, but not try to enter the pit

#5 2014-01-26 21:16:36

Hippasus

Pixelhouse wrote:

would the dog fall in the pit if it spots the robber?

So, yes, the dog will fall futilely into the pit in this set up. Cabnormal is correct though, a window will fix things right up. Just make sure the window isn't in brick throwing range, otherwise a clever player will throw a brick and the dog will run through the broken window to his doom!

Pixelhouse wrote:

dogs are expensive tongue!

It seems you may have a misapprehension about how self testing works. Although it is true that if a robber either kills your wife and/or kids or robs your vault the damage he causes to your house, including the killing of dogs, will be made permanent, this is not the case for self tests. You can test out your dogs behaviour with no risk of killing him or losing money, even if he falls in the pit in one of these self tests. There is the very real chance of him killing you though! wink

Happy house building!

#6 2014-01-27 02:12:08

gyuri

You could also put a chihuahua in front of the pitbull. It will fall into the pit and prevent the pitbull from doing the same.

Board footer