The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-22 08:02:19

Leaf

AI Dungeon Solver

To learn, or to get money (I'm not sure you want to award money from an NPC situation), you should develop some sort of AI Dungeon Solver.

So, you can pick Easy, Intermediate, or Hard, and the computer will build a solvable dungeon for you.  At that point you get 10 minutes to solve the dungeon.  The difference?  You will not have tools AND you will see the entire dungeon screen lit up. 

There should be a small reward for solving it, and no penalty for losing- except it should not be repeatable instantly.

This will familiarize players with popular patterns, combinations, and enable them to understand better methodologies for making/breaking traps.  As it is right now, when you're starting out- it's damn difficult.

#2 2014-02-22 08:21:54

MMaster

Re: AI Dungeon Solver

It's not that easy to do and to teach it "popular" patterns. People learn and figure out things that are based on popular patterns, but work differently. But I think some very basic "dungeons" with dogs and some commit gates should be doable. If someone is up to the task I would be willing to put something like that to the community server.

#3 2014-02-22 09:27:04

Archonn

A AI house creator would be really hard to create, and im not sure how good the houses would be. Creating a house involves a certain amount of creativity after all

#4 2014-02-22 09:36:58

RevealingGekco

Nifty idea... but couldn't you also learn popular patterns from reading threads in the forum/the wiki? 

There is also the tried and true method of dying to other people's devious creations and stealing them for yourself, watching other robbers bypass your implementation and making improvements.

#5 2014-02-22 09:50:11

iceman
Website

You could probably make a (very ineffective) dungeon house creator through something similar to Spelunky's level generator.  You have "modules", each of which is a trap, with a given entrance or exit, and then you connect the entrances.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#6 2014-02-22 10:14:19

MMaster

iceman wrote:

You could probably make a (very ineffective) dungeon house creator through something similar to Spelunky's level generator.  You have "modules", each of which is a trap, with a given entrance or exit, and then you connect the entrances.

Yes. That's what I was thinking. It is possible to create maze generator and put some commit gates with dogs there. Anything more than that would be too hard to do. Computer designing some creative traps is really hard task to do.

#7 2014-02-22 11:07:08

JoyOfTrapping

Leaf wrote:

There should be a small reward for solving it, and no penalty for losing-

You can't hope for a way to minimize risk in this game other than by applying your own intellect and caution.

Leaf wrote:

This will familiarize players with popular patterns, combinations, and enable them to understand better methodologies for making/breaking traps.  As it is right now, when you're starting out- it's damn difficult.

It is difficult.  If you want to learn traps, you need to learn about them by encountering them in the homes of other living players who created them.  You have to expose yourself to them, and that involves risk.  The reward is an improvement in your own self-control, and your own knowledge and skill.

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

Just keep ramming into the brick wall of the learning curve head on.  Go out there and be a samurai and earn your knowledge through battle, honor, and blood.  You will be a great player in the long run with this approach.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#8 2014-02-22 12:45:52

42dustman

Hmm... The trailer for the game uses the fact that nothing in CD is random as a sale point so I guess Jason doing something like this is pretty unlikely.

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-02-22 12:46:31)

Self-testing is torture.

#9 2014-02-22 12:53:23

StefanLindskog

[off-topic]: Is the voice in the trailer Jason himself?

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#10 2014-02-22 13:08:48

MMaster

I just got perfect idea thanks to this topic.
I will make 'dungeons' to the community server that won't be solvable without tools and it will basically be just mazes with pitbulls and vault at the end. The money in the vault would be proportional to number of pitbulls in dungeon so there would be more pitbulls than it's worth to kill/put asleep. And as soon as 'dungeon' vault would be reached new one would be generated.
That will make some fun for the small number of players and it will be interesting money source that is still dangerous. I'm just not sure how to put it into the games theme.

#11 2014-02-22 22:22:36

Lord0fHam

MMaster wrote:

I will make 'dungeons' to the community server that won't be solvable without tools and it will basically be just mazes with pitbulls and vault at the end. The money in the vault would be proportional to number of pitbulls in dungeon so there would be more pitbulls than it's worth to kill/put asleep. And as soon as 'dungeon' vault would be reached new one would be generated.
That will make some fun for the small number of players and it will be interesting money source that is still dangerous. I'm just not sure how to put it into the games theme.

Sounds cool, but why would anyone do them if you just lose money?

It's a trap!

#12 2014-02-23 09:05:13

MMaster

Lord0fHam wrote:
MMaster wrote:

Sounds cool, but why would anyone do them if you just lose money?

The idea is that you don't have to kill all the dogs in order to get to the vault. So the less dogs you kill the more profit you would have.

Board footer