The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-12 08:02:09

Amatiel

You should be able to return paintings to Auction house

Id appreciate a feature that allows you to return a painting to the auction house, whereupon you receive cash equal to the amount it sold for... or even give it back for free if that isn't possible

It allows for a way to rid yourself of unwanted art (just because the guy u robbed had terrible taste... it shouldn't mean you have to as well)

This fits with the current endgame artwork, as it is the only way of personalizing your house. Snail in the sun and Sky simply don't belong on the wall together

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#2 2014-03-12 08:30:35

LiteS

Re: You should be able to return paintings to Auction house

One of the purposes of paintings is to allow players to track who robbed them, and who robbed the person who robbed them, and so on. Returning paintings would eliminate this feature of the game.

Just do what I do, don't rob people if you don't like their paintings.

#3 2014-03-12 15:06:14

Amatiel

... You can see who robbed you anyway man

#4 2014-03-12 15:36:45

iceman
Website

Amatiel wrote:

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Congratulations, Amatiel, you just made the 11,111 post in the main forum!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-03-12 16:00:18

Lord0fHam

Yeah I wish you could do this too. Maybe return them for half their buy price? There is one guy who i want to rob but I only want some of his paintings. It would be awesome if i could return the others.

It's a trap!

#6 2014-03-12 16:01:09

JoyOfTrapping

And here is your prize!  219.73 metric tons of Russian-language games and DVDs!!  Please create a new thread with your bank account #, routing #, SSN and mother's maiden name!  Congratulations again!

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#7 2014-03-12 16:06:55

Lord0fHam

LOL

It's a trap!

#8 2014-03-12 16:20:26

LiteS

Amatiel wrote:

But dude, you can't see who robbed the person who robbed you.

#9 2014-03-12 20:15:13

Shadezy

If players were able to return paintings back to the auction house, then I think it should be on a donation basis so that the player would receive no money in exchange. That way there's no incentive for a robber to donate paintings he/she has stolen other than to remove unwanted art from his/her collection.

Now, when a painting is stolen the former owner would no doubt contact the proper authorities to report the robbery and those authorities would contact the auction house and let the staff their know that the paintings are 'hot'. The auction house would then refuse any donation attempts made with 'hot' paintings for a duration of time after the robbery (24 hours seems too short to me, maybe like a week). This would give some other robber time to rob the paintings and you could see who robbed the person that robbed you because the new robber would have to wait a week to donate their freshly robbed art.

When a painting is donated to the auction house (if that ever becomes a thing), then that player should have to wait some duration of time before he/she can make another donation. That will give the auction house time to 'authenticate' the painting before they decide to trust the player with a new donation. And, when a player donates a painting there could be a note next to it saying something like "Donated by Mr X", that way when Mr A gets robbed by Mr B and Mr B gets robbed by Mr X, then at least there's still a trail back to Mr X for Mr A to see. And if Mr A had a lot of art then when Mr X gets robbed by Mr Rutabaga, then Mr A can continue to watch as the paintings get passed along because, according to this system, art donation is a very time consuming process.

Live. Die. Repeat.

#10 2014-03-12 20:19:17

Lord0fHam

That sounds pretty good, but a week is too long. Maybe 48 hours. Also the space between donations is really unneeded.

It's a trap!

#11 2014-03-12 20:35:16

42dustman

LiteS wrote:

One of the purposes of paintings is to allow players to track who robbed them, and who robbed the person who robbed them, and so on. Returning paintings would eliminate this feature of the game.

In the current state of the game the paintings don't really work as tracers either because the people who robbed the paintings often die and then someone else buys them from the auction house and you won't know a thing about how they switched hands unless you have been logging in the game every half-hour 24/7. I think it is more interesting when you think of the paintings as something to be chased for it's intrinsic value rather than as mere tracking device.

Self-testing is torture.

#12 2014-03-13 00:09:13

joshwithguitar

I tend to always aim to have 4 paintings that I like to stick on my wall so I don't have to care about the rest. I imagine to newer players who struggle to get even one painting they like this might not be such a good strategy. Still, I like the fact that bad art gives incentives to steal more good art.

#13 2014-03-13 00:47:22

LiteS

joshwithguitar wrote:

I tend to always aim to have 4 paintings that I like to stick on my wall so I don't have to care about the rest. I imagine to newer players who struggle to get even one painting they like this might not be such a good strategy. Still, I like the fact that bad art gives incentives to steal more good art.

Are you still around? I haven't seen that signature Price entrance in a while, and judging by the house design I severely doubt you're Laing.

#14 2014-03-13 07:42:52

ventuswings

I'm impartial about the ability to return paintings, but it should be free if to be implemented.

#15 2014-03-13 20:50:05

Cylence

At first I didn't like the idea of getting rid of paintings. But then I thought about it some more, and it may be a good thing.

Imagine stealing paintings, just to put them for auction. You'd have to wait for someone to buy it and you never know how much it will be, but you would get the money from the sale. Then you use that money to steal it again from the person who bought it and repeat the process (so evil).

It does add cash value to paintings however, but like real art, it all depends on who wants it.
Obviously, this would make more popular paintings more valuable as people are willing to pay more for them.
I just think it just adds to the theme. People can choose to either be collectors, or robbers who rob for pure money to get tools to continue the cycle.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#16 2014-03-13 21:06:00

Storm

yeh, at least give the ability to get rid of art you dont want. You could actually USE "bad" art to keep people from robbing you. (this works against me with the Beebe paintings 100%)

Last edited by Storm (2014-03-13 21:10:26)

#17 2014-03-13 21:12:39

Lord0fHam

Storm what other paintings do you have? I think I might be able to give you your name if you want. I think I've seen your house.

It's a trap!

#18 2014-03-14 00:21:20

Amatiel

Storm wrote:

yeh, at least give the ability to get rid of art you dont want. You could actually USE "bad" art to keep people from robbing you. (this works against me with the Beebe paintings 100%)

Totally works against me as well.

Spent 15k scouting this house... then he went and bought some terrible art

This will keep him safe from me until something is implemented to address this hopefully

#19 2014-03-14 02:17:34

joshwithguitar

LiteS wrote:

Are you still around? I haven't seen that signature Price entrance in a while, and judging by the house design I severely doubt you're Laing.

I've been having a bit of a break since Curry. I have plans for a comeback though - Mr Laing be warned smile.

Last edited by joshwithguitar (2014-03-14 02:18:11)

#20 2014-03-14 08:46:50

gyuri

Amatiel wrote:

You spent some money scouting my house (Gipson), so I wonder if you're talking about me? I have the finest paintings of all, but I don't mind if you don't come back.

#21 2014-03-14 17:46:09

Amatiel

gyuri wrote:
Amatiel wrote:

You spent some money scouting my house (Gipson), so I wonder if you're talking about me? I have the finest paintings of all, but I don't mind if you don't come back.

Well no after discovering that your vault wasn't at the end of your puzzles, rather i believe it was up the top of one of the electric floor halls, you lowered your value significantlyafter that attempt. I never really liked your art from the start tbh sorry lol

#22 2014-03-16 23:21:35

Lord0fHam

Jason, if you read this topic, what do you think about it? Is there any chance of this being implemented? I think that since paintings are the endgame, it doesn't make sense that you should have to keep ones you don't want. It would still be ok even if you didn't get any money for returning them.

It's a trap!

#23 2014-03-17 06:10:07

Amatiel

Yea I was hoping for a response from the man by now,

Theres this house i want to rob but it has this truly godawful painting, looking at it makes me feel true pity for the guy it depicts, who has clearly been run over by a truck at some point... Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down as they say

http://thecastledoctrine.gamepedia.com/File:Auction.png

Its the painting on the bottom right... tongue

#24 2014-03-21 12:53:35

Lord0fHam

So is there anyway this is happening? I don't really see why not because it would have no impact on actual gameplay.

It's a trap!

#25 2014-03-21 17:56:26

ventuswings

I was thinking about this thread, and I think one viable alternative could be to allow returning of paintings only at the successful robbery screen.

Board footer