The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-29 18:02:39

pagedMov

Suggestion - Rotary Toggle Switch (Starts on)

I was attempting to replace some leap-of-faith electric grates with some powered trap doors earlier (the key thing about them being they were operated by rotary toggle switches) and it was pretty difficult to do since I had to flip the whole thing on its side in order to make the energy flow correctly. Basically what was supposed to happen was 1. The grates were turned on. 2. You step onto the grate 3. It becomes unpowered. This was considerably harder to do with powered trap doors, because you had to do the exact opposite with them. Since there's not a rotary toggle switch that starts horizontally, I had to destruct the whole trap and rebuild it vertically in order to make it work properly. What I'm suggesting here is that we need a new version of the Rotary Toggle Switch that starts horizontally. It would be loads more convenient and we would be able to build more traps and take up less space/time/money.

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#2 2014-03-30 06:35:59

poor

Re: Suggestion - Rotary Toggle Switch (Starts on)

Forgive me for the one word reply, but:

Yes.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#3 2014-03-30 06:45:24

shlam16

pagedMov wrote:

I was attempting to replace some leap-of-faith electric grates with some powered trap doors earlier (the key thing about them being they were operated by rotary toggle switches) and it was pretty difficult to do since I had to flip the whole thing on its side in order to make the energy flow correctly. Basically what was supposed to happen was 1. The grates were turned on. 2. You step onto the grate 3. It becomes unpowered. This was considerably harder to do with powered trap doors, because you had to do the exact opposite with them. Since there's not a rotary toggle switch that starts horizontally, I had to destruct the whole trap and rebuild it vertically in order to make it work properly. What I'm suggesting here is that we need a new version of the Rotary Toggle Switch that starts horizontally. It would be loads more convenient and we would be able to build more traps and take up less space/time/money.

You could just use a button... Unless I misunderstand what you are describing, a simple $20 button solves your problem.

#4 2014-03-30 08:02:31

mala

shlam16 wrote:
pagedMov wrote:

You could just use a button... Unless I misunderstand what you are describing, a simple $20 button solves your problem.

yes, but if you want to power something else once switched on, the button is useless.
Rotary switches seems to be the least used tiles, and the reason is the limited choices you have when using it.

The starting position hinders your ability to work around it.

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#5 2014-03-30 13:01:56

Cylence

If you are gonna ask for that, you might as well ask for it all smile. (full rotation on other electric tiles).
There's plenty of time's I wished voltage triggered switches were not locked into only a northern feed.

shlam16:
http://castledraft.com/editor/MQl4ps
Here's a simple example of where a regular button won't work.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#6 2014-03-30 14:14:26

eppfel
Website

I remember reading a thread about the issue off electronics getting power just from one direction. I think Jason replied that this fact is intended to make it harder to design your house.

#7 2014-03-30 16:10:59

StefanLindskog

Another example of where a regular button wont work: http://castledraft.com/editor/4L5u6I

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-03-30 16:12:20)

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#8 2014-04-01 16:33:39

pagedMov

eppfel wrote:

I remember reading a thread about the issue off electronics getting power just from one direction. I think Jason replied that this fact is intended to make it harder to design your house.

But if that were true, why would he add horizontal/vertical wires?

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#9 2014-04-02 12:42:34

xandalis

Because he said harder, not impossible.

edit: Also, being that the game is "set"/themed from the early 1990's, electronic systems weren't nearly as miniaturized as they are today. And then there's the whole bit about the power requirements for some of the objects, leading to huge, bulky, house-space-eating heavily insulated wiring to keep you from zapping yourself just being near it.

Last edited by xandalis (2014-04-02 12:45:29)

Board footer