The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-03 17:55:43

Blip

Wealth vs. Art: Which do you prefer?

The Castle Doctrine has two main ways to gauge your standing: your wealth in dollars and the amount of paintings you have. I know that some people have a personal preference of cash or paintings. I myself love hoarding paintings, especially aiming to get full sets (I still want the rest of the Dermatillomanian ones!), and am always surprised to see top houses without them. Personally, I think that having something unique that nobody else can have is cool, and that it's more desirable than generic wealth.

Which do you guys prefer: wealth or art?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2014-04-03 18:44:14

mala

Re: Wealth vs. Art: Which do you prefer?

art as it's unique.
stilli tend to avoid it untill my house is up and running, the wrong painting may draw too much unwanted attention.

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#3 2014-04-03 19:13:45

tigerbalm immunity

Art is obviously great as it's unique and selecting particular pieces allow one to express oneself in unique ways.  additionally, when one inevitably dies or is robbed, one has to option to attempt to reacquire particular pieces. 

cash has its uses as well, the most salient being list/page placement, but it also funds robberies (for buying tools that starter kits can't afford).  additionally, if the wife is alive, cash can ensure that a house will survive and even thrive after the fault is hit. 

personally, i would feel more satisfaction from a large or special painting collection than a high cash value and none, few, or unappealing paintings.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#4 2014-04-03 19:19:44

pagedMov

Personally, I think that art is more satisfying to have than a wealth of money and tools. Mainly, because these things don't take much time to acquire (You could get $236k off of a bounty in the blink of an eye), so I'd think that getting a collection of art that you like is a good way to express yourself and also show off wealth. If someone goes into a house and sees like 20 paintings on the left they'd think that that person is more wealthy than someone with enough money to buy those paintings, in my opinion.

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#5 2014-04-04 13:12:01

Blip

I just checked something and am pretty shocked. Other than Mr. Kane and Mr. Ward, none of the top 8 houses posses paintings! And the two of them only have 5 between them!
Why don't these top houses, who have so much money, buy a single painting?

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-04 13:23:21)

#6 2014-04-04 13:47:30

poor

Maybe because you have them all.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#7 2014-04-04 13:59:47

Blip

poor wrote:

Maybe because you have them all.

Technically, I only have 52% of them...
Anyway, there seem to be a few in auction still. Why don't they buy those?

#8 2014-04-04 17:25:08

poor

PXKLfgq.jpg

"Safety" is relative

#9 2014-04-04 17:33:47

Blip

Oh. Well, if you did have the chance to get (good) art, would you take it?

#10 2014-04-04 17:42:12

Lord0fHam

poor, it appears that you actually have:

฿៛G ¢а$# Møи€¥

you be rolling in da ฿Ди₭

75212-Huell-money-bed-Mexico-deal-wi-oW87.gif

It's a trap!

#11 2014-04-04 17:43:12

Lord0fHam

Blip wrote:

If you die, there are about 4 paintings you have that i would buy in a heart beat.

It's a trap!

#12 2014-04-04 17:59:55

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:
Blip wrote:

If you die, there are about 4 paintings you have that i would buy in a heart beat.

Which ones?

#13 2014-04-04 21:14:15

iceman
Website

There's a new painting in the auction sad  I just pulled off a 30k suicide heist, that I've been scouting for the past week.  That was the break I was waiting for- there was another house that I've had solved for a couple of days, also worth 30k.  I've been checking his house info each day, hoping it hasn't reset or been robbed, waiting for one of my other house scouts to pay off so that I can start a life with 60k.  I finally actually reach I vault when I really didn't expect to, suddenly I'm racing against the clock, who knows how little time I have left before my house goes onto the list with 30k and no defences?  I run through his house, dogs chasing me, and suddenly.... I open the wrong door, and a dog is staring me in the face sad

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#14 2014-04-05 00:08:51

Lord0fHam

Blip wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:
Blip wrote:

Which ones?

I'd like Keep, Memento Mori, Distant Chrome, Prism, Inspiration, A Snail in the Sun, and the beetle one. Those are top priorty if they show up in the auction house. There are some others i might like too. I guess more than 4, but only 7 major ones. Feel like dying anytime soon? just show me your map and I'll keep your paintings safe! or just suicide in my house and i'll use the bounty to buy my favorites. smile  *looks off into the distance, dreaming*

It's a trap!

#15 2014-04-05 14:27:23

poor

Lord0fHam wrote:

...rolling in da ฿Ди₭

Alas, my small fortune is no more. I died twenty-something times today.

"Safety" is relative

#16 2014-04-06 08:38:45

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:
Blip wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:

Which ones?

I'd like Keep, Memento Mori, Distant Chrome, Prism, Inspiration, A Snail in the Sun, and the beetle one. Those are top priorty if they show up in the auction house. There are some others i might like too. I guess more than 4, but only 7 major ones. Feel like dying anytime soon? just show me your map and I'll keep your paintings safe! or just suicide in my house and i'll use the bounty to buy my favorites. smile  *looks off into the distance, dreaming*

You got your dream. I died in Buckley's place from a misstep, then suicide robbed crazyace, then died in a self-test. I'm going to take a little break now and just be happy with the 87 paintings that I had.

#17 2014-04-06 09:47:54

Lord0fHam

Blip wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:
Blip wrote:

Which ones?

You got your dream. I died in Buckley's place from a misstep, then suicide robbed crazyace, then died in a self-test. I'm going to take a little break now and just be happy with the 87 paintings that I had.

Blip, that's my house! Sorry for your loss though, I know how crushing that can be as it's happened to me a lot.

It's a trap!

#18 2014-04-06 09:50:37

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:
Blip wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:

Blip, that's my house! Sorry for your loss though, I know how crushing that can be as it's happened to me a lot.

Yeah, well, after I've lost so many great places, I've learned to take it pretty well.
My plan is to wait for somebody else to coalesce a new collection and then take it for my own.

Board footer