The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-04-04 14:00:56

Blip

Re: The King of Castle Doctrine:

crazyace wrote:

Do you want me to tell dirty stories or something? I'm not a forum warrior , sorry. Don't worry I will give away another 200K+ bty to a random lucky contestant soon enough.

Just a quick question: why don't you try to get any paintings?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#77 2014-04-04 14:01:39

crazyace

I don't hunt paintings, just want Real Art back I had for weeks. Anthony Hugh Miller!

#78 2014-04-04 14:02:42

crazyace

Since I made this name a few days ago theres been no decent paintings.

#79 2014-04-04 14:08:09

crazyace

My last house "Mr. Noonan" held up 180+k cash and multiple brute force attempts for me to end up dying to a stray dog in a 1k house. Id rather risk this fake coin to see some good videos and attempts. Having a 4k house and 100 paintings is still boring.

#80 2014-04-04 14:12:47

tigerbalm immunity

Blip wrote:

As for how many paintings I look for, it depends. Once I saw that Herbert had the rest of the Dermatillomanian set, my favorite paintings in the game, he became a must-rob, and would have been even if those were his only two paintings. However, Kane and Ward, for example, have pretty secure houses and only a couple paintings, which I don't even like that much. I'll probably wait on robbing them until I'm in the home stretch, nearing 100% painting ownership, which is pretty far away. There are 155 total, I think, and I only have 80 right now, and it's getting harder to get them as there are lots of houses with only one or two. However, any house in the double digits for paintings is probably what I'd look for about now. I can't seem to find any, though.

1. I'm Ward with a couple paintings you don't like that much, which a. makes me feel all safe and cozy and b. insults me as an appreciator of fine art such as Flicker by American McGee.
2. Check Jorgensen, he has maybe 8-10 of the worst paintings out there (mostly scribbles by william beebe's braindead monkey with no brain).  With 80 paintings, it's quantity over quality at this point, anyway smile

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#81 2014-04-04 14:13:33

Pwny

Kudos, Blip. I was waiting for you ever since I robbed 2 houses myself in the past 24 hours; it was karma. My ego prevented me from upgrading my house, even though I did have a layout prepared that would have costed me $30K and fundamentally change the route to the safe. I just didn't want to reset my kill count, so I dumped all my cash in tools that you are probably relishing. The next time we interact, I'll probably be in another life. Watch the throne, Christopher Alvin Harris. --Hebert

#82 2014-04-04 14:21:15

iceman
Website

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

2. Check Jorgensen, he has maybe 8-10 of the worst paintings out there (mostly scribbles by william beebe's braindead monkey with no brain).  With 80 paintings, it's quantity over quality at this point, anyway smile

No!  Jorgensen one of the 5 names on my list of promising houses I've been suicide scouting... leave him for me!!!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#83 2014-04-04 14:22:05

Blip

crazyace wrote:

My last house "Mr. Noonan" held up 180+k cash and multiple brute force attempts for me to end up dying to a stray dog in a 1k house. Id rather risk this fake coin to see some good videos and attempts. Having a 4k house and 100 paintings is still boring.

I have $42k right now, and after some robberies that I might try later (if I get some good scout info) I might have even more.
Also, that's why I hate robbing cheap houses. I always am too confident and die to stupid dog commits or wife-pincers.

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

1. I'm Ward with a couple paintings you don't like that much, which a. makes me feel all safe and cozy and b. insults me as an appreciator of fine art such as Flicker by American McGee.

Flicker's nice and all, but not worth the risk of robbing you just yet. I can't really do much to you, as my alt has chills on your place and you're pretty low on my list anyways.
As for Jorgensen, I'm trying to save collecting the shit paintings till the very end. Why have any of Beebe's when it's not part of an all-painting collection?

Pwny wrote:

Kudos, Blip. I was waiting for you ever since I robbed 2 houses myself in the past 24 hours; it was karma. My ego prevented me from upgrading my house, even though I did have a layout prepared that would have costed me $30K and fundamentally change the route to the safe. I just didn't want to reset my kill count, so I dumped all my cash in tools that you are probably relishing. The next time we interact, I'll probably be in another life. Watch the throne, Christopher Alvin Harris. --Hebert

I don't have a throne just yet, only a bunch of art and traps. And you had the one thing I that I lost and could never get back: A family. I have a certain Mr. Hamblin to thank for the deaths of mine.
I also have one quick building tip for you: Don't let a couple saws skip lots of your trap. I don't know if your correct route just went upwards briefly or all the way to the top of your house, but one saw let me past all that and to your final combo lock.

#84 2014-04-04 16:25:44

Blip

I hate to be that guy, but I finally wiped Hebert out. His wife is dead and his vault is clean. Only his son Bobby survives.

#85 2014-04-04 16:34:17

MMaster

Blip wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but I finally wiped Hebert out. His wife is dead and his vault is clean. Only his son Bobby survives.

Hehe. Good hunt! smile I managed to get back to my feet. Still alive! Yay!

#86 2014-04-04 16:38:54

Blip

MMaster wrote:
Blip wrote:

Hehe. Good hunt! smile I managed to get back to my feet. Still alive! Yay!

Once you get enough cash to become a threat, then the wrath of Harris may once again fall upon your head. I hope you keep the door trap.

#87 2014-04-04 16:40:33

MMaster

Blip wrote:

Once you get enough cash to become a threat, then the wrath of Harris may once again fall upon your head. I hope you keep the door trap.

I'm already looking forward to it smile I hope I will not die until then.

#88 2014-04-04 16:48:19

Blip

I'm back on the front page again, after guessing a magic dance with my alt and cashing in with my main. Dear Mr. Nobles: having two sets of two buttons, one space apart, is not very hard to break.

MMaster wrote:
Blip wrote:

I'm already looking forward to it smile I hope I will not die until then.

I hope that you don't try to get the collection back so I don't have to worry about you. After seeing the short work you made of LightS's house, I'm a bit worried.
Also, don't move your vault either. It's old position served you just fine, didn't it?

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-04 16:48:52)

#89 2014-04-04 16:55:27

MMaster

Blip wrote:

I hope that you don't try to get the collection back so I don't have to worry about you. After seeing the short work you made of LightS's house, I'm a bit worried.
Also, don't move your vault either. It's old position served you just fine, didn't it?

I usually don't care about the paintings unless I want to get attention. Don't worry - I don't think I will be able to get enough money before someone else robs you smile

But I wish you luck in your quest! Finally something interesting is going on again after jwg disappeared. I'm happy wink

#90 2014-04-04 17:14:15

Blip

MMaster wrote:
Blip wrote:

I usually don't care about the paintings unless I want to get attention. Don't worry - I don't think I will be able to get enough money before someone else robs you smile

But I wish you luck in your quest! Finally something interesting is going on again after jwg disappeared. I'm happy wink

I've just been waiting for somebody to challenge Lopez. It'll draw some attention away from me, and maybe painting-owners will forget my quest and no longer fear my name.
And to reiterate, I was here before even jwg, and now that I have some free time with spring break, I can really get back into the game. I was the first player to break $100k, not counting the (somewhat broken) v5, you know. And now that I have a chance to be the first player who owns every painting, I'd really like to capitalize on it.

As a matter of fact, my alt nearly cracked the entrance room of one of my targets, and one with an initial commit gate, no less! If I can get one alt scout through there to check out what's behind, I can get my chance to see what type of trap I might see there: pits, floors, or doors? That's when the full brute-force crew comes along and the (undisclosed) target gets an old-fasioned robbin'.

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-04 17:32:24)

#91 2014-04-04 18:33:06

Blip

I just robbed Mr. Hahn, who had about $20k and 5 paintings. Thank you sir for making such an easy-to-cut-through lock, which was also easy to reach! Redface is a nice piece of art.

#92 2014-04-04 19:33:56

Cylence

After Ponder passed away, I figured I'd do some scouting and robbing on all the bigger houses with my no risk lives. I had entrance maps of all the the names on the top page. Although, most of my work has gone to dust with people breaking half of them.

Mr Hahn was a juicy target, you could walk straight to the huge combo lock in the back. Was looking to hit it later after getting some cash from a smaller robbery. Ah well.
Guess I wait till the dust settles before scouting and robbing.
Don't want to waste my time on houses that will just be cracked the next day.

Congrats on the break-ins Blip. I'm guessing you are doing all the scout work with your no risk alt then coming in with your main after mapping, right? Do you have a few alts or just the one? Just wondering how many scouting runs you can do per day.

I have a friend who plays, but not so much anymore. Maybe he'll gift me his account (I designed his house). Seems like I'll need it to be able to compete with the speed you guys are scouting and taking people down.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#93 2014-04-04 20:53:20

shlam16

LiteS wrote:
shlam16 wrote:

I had 67 paintings before 3 sad little players decided to team up and group scout my house, sharing my map on these forums. Between them they spent about 100k to find my vault, but they never cracked it. I retired it and delegated my paintings and money to my brother. He subsequently died in Patrick Victor Connells house and sent them back to auction. I was planning on going for 100 before they group brute forced me. Probably would have gotten there too. With 80% of my map posted online, they knew how to find the vault for about 20k, but for a single person who wanted to keep a safe path back to the door and had no idea where the vault was it was impossible short of 100k worth of tools. Had multiple 60k attempts who never came close.

They had their little panties in a twist, accusing me of having dual accounts when I didn't. Blip, you are open about having multiple accounts, so I would beware of 42dustman and amatiel (and one other, can't remember his name). They will probably start teaming up and sharing your design on the forums soon.

When you had 67 paintings you weren't on top of the list. Heck, you weren't even anywhere near the front page.

Were you the third group sharer? I would frequently rise to the top page, but then I would spend it all to go rob some more paintings. I saw absolutely no point of sitting on piles of cash when I could use it to actually play the game. Sick of people spouting this crap about the fact that I never had much money when I was the most active robber in the game. I wasn't one of the people who was too scared to step out their door after they had a nice house.

#94 2014-04-04 21:49:18

Blip

Cylence wrote:

Mr Hahn was a juicy target, you could walk straight to the huge combo lock in the back. Was looking to hit it later after getting some cash from a smaller robbery. Ah well.
Guess I wait till the dust settles before scouting and robbing.
Don't want to waste my time on houses that will just be cracked the next day.

Congrats on the break-ins Blip. I'm guessing you are doing all the scout work with your no risk alt then coming in with your main after mapping, right? Do you have a few alts or just the one? Just wondering how many scouting runs you can do per day.

I have a friend who plays, but not so much anymore. Maybe he'll gift me his account (I designed his house). Seems like I'll need it to be able to compete with the speed you guys are scouting and taking people down.

Yeah, I was surprised how far my alt scout got into Hahn's place; I knew all his weak spots from a single scouting trip!

As for my alt use, I currently have a single alt which I use to scout. Frankly, though, my alt has only been useful in mapping one place so far, and I haven't even cracked it just yet. Most of the others would have cost lower than $2k to scout out as far as my alt did, and with zero risk at that cost as well. Overall, an alt is useful, but it's easily possible to pull off major heists without it; as a matter of fact, my first robbery against Scott had no previous alt scouting, and that one worked like a dream.

#95 2014-04-04 23:22:29

FreeLove

Interesting thread!

I think this kind of discussion is precisely what fuels fluctuation in the housing market -- in other words, more players going out to rob, and less house stagnation. Create value in something (i.e. having the 'top house'), and people will chase it. What a neat game!

I only post because I care <3

#96 2014-04-05 01:46:00

Cylence

Blip wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised how far my alt scout got into Hahn's place; I knew all his weak spots from a single scouting trip!
... Overall, an alt is useful, but it's easily possible to pull off major heists without it; as a matter of fact, my first robbery against Scott had no previous alt scouting, and that one worked like a dream.

Yeah, Hahn's was an easy scout to the back. I thought I would die to the electric floor but they never turned on.

However useful is understating the difference between the cost of an alt no risk scout and a main scout.

A no risk scout doesn't have to pay the cost of leaving a path back home open, and bringing safety gun(s) in case of dogs getting in that path. Also, due to the same reason, no risk scouts can penetrate further in and map more of a home than a cautious scout can. They can throw themselves into areas that would be very costly to exit. They can figure out what locations/steps trigger hidden pet traps (by dying). It can be the difference between 20 wire cutters and 20 waters. Also, you don't give the owner a 24 hour window in which they can change things between a 2k scout run and a Main account run.

I understand that you can pull off major heists w/out an alt. Possible, yes. Easily? I disagree. It takes time and money to do a major heist, unless you can easily generate both, I'd say it isn't easy.
Did you leave a way out on your first robbery against Scott, or were you do or die?
I'm pretty sure that if it was "easy" you wouldn't compare it to a "dream".

My first big robberies are usually do or die, hence why they are "First." I take advantage of a fresh start and do a bunch of no risk scouting. I eventually break a house. If its a smaller house I'll chain it into tools to do another higher budget no risk scout. After I've stolen a nest egg, I'm cautious afterwards.

#97 2014-04-05 04:34:01

MMaster

Can we stop the multi account non-sense already? Yes they have advantage, but I don't care and you should not care too. It's nothing big.

Cylence wrote:

Did you leave a way out on your first robbery against Scott, or were you do or die?
I'm pretty sure that if it was "easy" you wouldn't compare it to a "dream".

My house was quite an experiment and it was completely different than any of the usual houses. I have also posted the map of the old house and he guessed correctly that I would not change the trap that I have not yet tested all my ideas on. He left a way out as that was the only way to pass the initial part. After that the only way to go further was to break it (therefore making you way out). Unfortunately I have moved the vault to a new place and I didn't see that it will not work as I intended. That happens. He can come to my house with multiple accounts if he wants. He can even transfer money between accounts if he wants. I don't care about that - I am happy to get robbed and to see something happening. There is no ultimate goal in this game so the point of the game is to build, rob, die and/or get robbed. If there is someone with 2 / 3 accounts he can do 3 runs per day - that's more fun even for me, because he will get further in the house in shorter time and I can see more mistakes I've made later in the house.

#98 2014-04-05 10:50:13

Cylence

MMaster wrote:

Can we stop the multi account non-sense already? Yes they have advantage, but I don't care and you should not care too. It's nothing big.
...There is no ultimate goal in this game so the point of the game is to build, rob, die and/or get robbed. If there is someone with 2 / 3 accounts he can do 3 runs per day - that's more fun even for me, because he will get further in the house in shorter time and I can see more mistakes I've made later in the house.

I accept there are advantages. However, I do care. I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. I'm just trying to gather knowledge so I know what I should do. Knowing how fast people are scouting and targeting will help me not waste time in my own scouting/robberies. I'm trying to figure out how to spend my time.

I understand you have no ultimate goal, so you just build, rob, die/get robbed with heavy fun on getting robbed. I too like building houses and watching people crack them. Blip has his own ultimate goal (own every painting). I'm sure everyone has their own goal.

However, you are right that I should probably stop stating the advantage and just get to my questions.

So, Blip,
As far as I know, you are just targeting houses with paintings. Do they need to be  above a certain dollar line? Or would a house at around $10k w/ 4 paintings still be on your list?

#99 2014-04-05 15:28:13

crazyace

Who wants to admit bringing 40 bricks, 45 water, 12 door stops, 4 explosives, 20 clubs, 11 wirecutters, saws and crowbars (20+k?), into my house and dying in the front doorway to a dog?  6 Moves.  I will laugh all night long.

#100 2014-04-05 15:38:12

Lord0fHam

crazyace wrote:

Who wants to admit bringing 40 bricks, 45 water, 12 door stops, 4 explosives, 20 clubs, 11 wirecutters, saws and crowbars (20+k?), into my house and dying in the front doorway to a dog?  6 Moves.  I will laugh all night long.

I believe that's Mr. Stanley. His painting is in the auction house now.

It's a trap!

Board footer