The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-02 17:36:27

williad2
Website

Living a lie.

I have become a grand master at deceiving myself without even knowing it. 

For months now, my architectural designs gradually improved to the point where my houses made it to the top of the leader boards multiple times.  The only way these houses were taken down was by shear brute force or my own stupidity during self tests.  So impressive was the creations that lay before me, I foolishly believed that I was one of the top designers in this game.

Then I started reading this forum and happen to review ICEMAN’s designs....Whoa!  My reality / pride were shredded instantly.   I’m nowhere near the complexity that is contained in his maps.  Ok it’s just one person.  Maybe I’m the second greatest, so I continue reading….. Nope!

Other people have post their FULL designs and some of them I can’t figure out how safely navigate through them.  I’m not kidding, how can a maze built with the same “known” items that I use; be configured in such a way that I am baffled even when shown the answer.

Did I accidently purchase a game that is designed for the Academically Gifted.  Am I alone?

Your allowed 3 steps into my house.  Any more than that and your mine.

#2 2014-05-02 17:39:53

TheRealCheese

Re: Living a lie.

No, there are many of us who feel inferior in the company we keep here.

#3 2014-05-02 18:21:07

tigerbalm immunity

Amen. Everything in my house, more or less, is a copy of a copy, from magic dances to bit locks, i use them, but no way could I have devised them.  Many other things I do not possess the skills to even copy and safely implement in my house.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#4 2014-05-02 18:47:33

Cylence

I'm with ya. I feel like some of the electronics are over my head.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#5 2014-05-02 19:14:15

Killer Mosquito

There have been quite a few people post designs here that absolutely blow my mind.  Jason Rohrer himself even struggled to grasp the concept of clocks once it was discovered. 

I know that Iceman and Blip have had some pretty nice designs.  Just looking at the entrance of MMaster's house scares me (David Michael Scott). Cyclene's also has quite the devious house.

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#6 2014-05-02 21:12:42

42dustman

Every time someone mentions the word 'clock' I go like "Oh no, not this mumbo jumbo again".

Self-testing is torture.

#7 2014-05-03 05:15:35

poor

On the other hand, I figure... why go through all that trouble when a magic dance + rows of doors and pits can be just as secure against scouts and more so against brute forcing?

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#8 2014-05-03 10:59:04

williad2
Website

TheRealCheese - So true, in this game we should all fear our neighbors.

tigerbalm immunity - I am guilty of plagiarism as well.  Just saying with these newer designs its becoming difficult to copy and keep up. 

Cylence - in the interest of full disclosure.  Some electronics I rarely use (i.e. Panic button and Pressure Toggle switch) to this day I don't think I ever used Rotary Toggle switch I know its sad.

Killer Mosquito - Exactly these were the maps I was referring to.  While trying to reverse engineer the design I would start at the safe and work backwards towards the entrance.  Mumbling to myself; "You got to be kidding", "This is insane", "How can I use this in my house"

42dustman - Two words "Paradoxical circuit".  Yea I have to put on the dunce cap and sit in a corner when that topic is brought up.

poor - agreed, clocks take up a lot of space and are becoming so predictable now.  My tapes are full of players stutter stepping 9 times before moving on to an electric floor.  Cat traps on the other hand are very interesting, trying to understand these better.

Thanks for everyone's reply.  If you happen to be in the neighborhood stop on by.
You will know your at my house when you see the welcome mat with a face made up of wires.

+  +
   -
------

Enjoy.

#9 2014-05-03 12:59:41

Killer Mosquito

williad2 wrote:

42dustman - Two words "Paradoxical circuit".  Yea I have to put on the dunce cap and sit in a corner when that topic is brought up.

I've actually recently dabbled in paradoxical circuits.  They are awesome when you use them properly.  However, my first two tries using them resulted in a VERY easy robbery for someone.  I didn't use them properly.  I try to find something new to use in each new house that I build.  When you look at my old house (http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=2832), it's complicated.  But I feel like looking at the floor plan for a few minutes will give you the solution.  I've looked at some of iceman's and blips floorplans..... 15 minutes later and I still can't figure out how I would get through the thing.

That's one thing I would suggest though - with each new house, try a new trap.  A new 2k house is the closest you can come to a sandbox practice area.  I've built 3 houses with clocks... I still have no clue how they work, nor did I ever properly use them.  I finally got the paradox circuit after building one in a new 2k house and playing around by randomly removing wires to see what ended up getting powered and what did not.  My issue for awhile was that in each new life, I just kept building the same house.  Granted, it was an effective house... but I never learned anything.

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#10 2014-05-03 14:06:01

tigerbalm immunity

williad2 wrote:

+  +
   -
------

Enjoy.

intimidating as hell.  so much space at the entrance devoted to flare.  makes me wonder what lies beyond.  no alt account, tho. so I won't be finding out any time soon.

--Caldwell

Currently dead

#11 2014-05-03 16:17:53

Lord0fHam

I personally think paradox circuits are pretty useless. it may kill a noob, but any experienced robber will watch out for them and cut the grates when they aren't on them. also, this causes the bruteforce price to be 1/4 what it was when they all turn onv($100 for a water per tile instead of $400 for a wire cutter).

It's a trap!

#12 2014-05-03 16:42:38

Blip

williad2 wrote:

You will know your at my house when you see the welcome mat with a face made up of wires.

+  +
   -
------

Enjoy.

I will. Prepare to lose all your money. tongue

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#13 2014-05-03 16:44:44

Lord0fHam

blip you are back!

It's a trap!

#14 2014-05-03 16:57:02

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:

blip you are back!

Yeah, I had to take a break from TCD because I had real-world stuff to do. Now I'm back, and ready to get back to robbing.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#15 2014-05-04 20:40:44

MrTeakettle

Ah, the face house. I must say, I like a home with a little flair. But I like my house too much to die in yours.

#16 2014-05-05 11:51:21

williad2
Website

Blip wrote:
williad2 wrote:

+  +
   -
------

Enjoy.

I will. Prepare to lose all your money. tongue

I did a stupid thing by moving the safe closer to the entrance.  One player was getting too close for comfort so I thought I would mix it up by moving the safe.  Bad mistake on my part.  "James Charles Mills" paid a visit and with a few tools he just waltz right to my safe. 

I'm assuming that was you...Blip!  Hope that 30k you got from me push's you into a higher tax bracket smile

#17 2014-05-05 11:56:30

williad2
Website

tigerbalm immunity wrote:
williad2 wrote:

+  +
   -
------

Enjoy.

intimidating as hell.  so much space at the entrance devoted to flare.  makes me wonder what lies beyond.  no alt account, tho. so I won't be finding out any time soon.

--Caldwell

James Charles Mills wasn't scared a bit.  I would have returned the favor to Mr. Mills ... however.  Did you see this guys entrance... DAMN!

#18 2014-05-05 12:33:30

tigerbalm immunity

williad2 wrote:

James Charles Mills wasn't scared a bit.  I would have returned the favor to Mr. Mills ... however.  Did you see this guys entrance... DAMN!

i have seen his entrance, and i disapprove. it does not feel very hospitable.  and its owner's courage is second to none.

Currently dead

Board footer