The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-05-07 13:20:16

Cylence

Re: To the visitors of Ronald Michael Jensen [spolier alert p4]

Revealed 5x5 square for 40 kills: Row3Col2
HHUVoP1.gif

The three tiles in blue are the path the dog on the right walks when he is seen. If you haven't noticed him before, this dog powers the trapdoor pictured.
hint: there's only two buttons on that path (one is on, and the other is off).

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#52 2014-05-07 13:27:51

tigerbalm immunity

lol subtle

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#53 2014-05-07 13:36:01

Cylence

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

lol subtle

Have you noticed that dog before?

Edit: Most people only notice after successfully crossing the east trapdoor, and open the second door to find an insta-death they didn't expect.

Last edited by Cylence (2014-05-07 13:37:40)

#54 2014-05-07 17:04:41

iceman
Website

Well, that didn't work out the way I hoped... good thing I used those bricks, huh? =P

The more I explore your houses (Jensen and Geyer), the more I am impressed... not a single magic dance or combo lock (well, at least not blatant ones), so many *different* paths to choose, paths that seem like good solutions and take several tries to discover they're just red herrings, paths that seem like red herrings with no solution but end up being possible when approached from a different angle (literally wink), tiny details that end up being the key to the solution, parts of the house interacting that have no business interacting... they've just been really fun to map out!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#55 2014-05-07 17:57:27

Cylence

iceman wrote:

Well, that didn't work out the way I hoped... good thing I used those bricks, huh? =P

The more I explore your houses (Jensen and Geyer), the more I am impressed... not a single magic dance or combo lock (well, at least not blatant ones), so many *different* paths to choose, paths that seem like good solutions and take several tries to discover they're just red herrings, paths that seem like red herrings with no solution but end up being possible when approached from a different angle (literally wink), tiny details that end up being the key to the solution, parts of the house interacting that have no business interacting... they've just been really fun to map out!

Thanks for the complement and I'm glad you're having fun.

Although it all depends what you call a magic dance. I use pets a lot, they push buttons and alter other pets which opens up different paths. Some you have to keep alive, some you have to kill (in a certain place). Technically, if a magic dance is a pet used to push a button, then most of the traps are magic dances. It's mostly due to the fact that I like to keep my family alive, so I've got all these dogs around, I might as well make use of them and integrate family defense with vault defense.

Although, I think you're the only one giving my place a serious attempt as of late. Even after posting the entrance solution, people still die to it. Needless to say, it's a very effective trap for those who don't know how pets move or take the time to test it out in self test.

#56 2014-05-07 18:14:52

tigerbalm immunity

Cylence wrote:

lol subtle

Have you noticed that dog before?

Edit: Most people only notice after successfully crossing the east trapdoor, and open the second door to find an insta-death they didn't expect.

sorry, no. i was referring to the hint sarcastically. upon 2nd look, tho, seems there are more solutions than i thought tongue

Currently dead

#57 2014-05-07 19:10:19

iceman
Website

Yeah, I've seen a few "animal presses hidden switch" areas, which technically is a magic dance, but no blatant "Dog sees you at start from 8 pits away and you have to dance correctly or use wire cutters for the next 30 steps" cases tongue

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#58 2014-05-07 19:45:23

TheRealCheese

iceman wrote:

Yeah, I've seen a few "animal presses hidden switch" areas, which technically is a magic dance, but no blatant "Dog sees you at start from 8 pits away and you have to dance correctly or use wire cutters for the next 30 steps" cases tongue

I prefer 4 tile magic dances ending in a powered pit. Also in my current house, the actual dance to those 4 tiles is done long before you actually see the tiles.

#59 2014-05-07 20:08:28

Pumaroma

Hope you dont mind I borrowed a few things from the jensen and geyer house with a twist. Running it on one of my houses right now, but its not fully constructed yet.

#60 2014-05-07 23:49:49

Cylence

sorry, no. i was referring to the hint sarcastically. upon 2nd look, tho, seems there are more solutions than i thought

Tiger,
Couple it with the button you have to setup above for the double dog follow, it gets complicated. There's also a way to separate the double dog follow into a single dog follow which opens up a different solution.

iceman wrote:

Iceman,
Ah. There's one of those somewhere in there (3pits, 1powered door, 1button, then dog), but it doesn't control electric floors. I think it takes up too much space already (i could have cut one pit). As you already know, I like keeping them as compact as possible and somehow reusing them in a different way.

Pumaroma wrote:

Hope you dont mind I borrowed a few things from the jensen and geyer house with a twist. Running it on one of my houses right now, but its not fully constructed yet.

Puma,
No problem at all. I think we all learn from each other and add our own flare or ideas to evolve the traps.

#61 2014-05-08 14:07:17

Cylence

Revealed 5x5 square for 50 kills: Row4Col2
oVweCml.gif

Is anyone using the map at all? If not I'll stop showing them. Seems like all the kills are being racked up by those who don't even know this thread exists.

#62 2014-05-08 15:47:45

poor

Well, I am rather averse to dying right now.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#63 2014-05-08 16:40:16

tigerbalm immunity

poor wrote:

Well, I am rather averse to dying right now.

+1

Currently dead

#64 2014-05-08 18:07:57

poor

To make it a bit more convenient for potential robbers, I've compiled a map of all tiles shown so far, along with everything that can safely be seen (i.e. just the entrance hall).

The broken windows represent map borders and unknowns. All powerable tiles are shown in the state they would be in when the house is first loaded, or broken (stopped, cut, or bridged) wherever that state is unknown.

I won't add any information from scouts, because that would just be unfair for Cylence, and because trying to scout this would result in me dying yet again. tongue

Castledraft saving doesn't work for me (and I have no idea why), so here it is in all of its raw importable glory.

[edit] pastebin [/edit]
[edit] updated [/edit]

Last edited by poor (2014-05-09 09:58:45)

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#65 2014-05-08 18:09:31

Frosty

#66 2014-05-08 20:29:01

Cylence

Guessing that was you again, iceman, at the trident area?

#67 2014-05-08 21:25:38

iceman
Website

Cylence wrote:

How'd you guess tongue I'm really sad I had to kill the chihuahua like that- I really expected that hallway to continue for quite a bit longer.  Still, anything to prevent his legs from shattering and his slowly starving to death at the bottom of the trapdoor when I opened it tongue

#68 2014-05-08 22:20:54

Cylence

iceman wrote:
Cylence wrote:

How'd you guess tongue I'm really sad I had to kill the chihuahua like that- I really expected that hallway to continue for quite a bit longer.  Still, anything to prevent his legs from shattering and his slowly starving to death at the bottom of the trapdoor when I opened it tongue

That one area you can pass with the cat actually. smile

#69 2014-05-09 04:54:13

Pumaroma

ugh i am going to beat this house! I can't believe i got electrocuted cause of a stupid chihuahua yesterday

#70 2014-05-09 09:36:24

Cylence

Revealed 5x5 square for 60 kills: Row3Col1
zCTFGDJ.gif

#71 2014-05-09 10:45:16

Pumaroma

well made it bit further then usual this time. I had to use a ladder..just can't figure out how you're supposed to do that part without a ladder

#72 2014-05-10 10:06:34

iceman
Website

Well that was quite the profitable scout big_smile I finally found your magic dance!  As for where I died- I KNEW about the button on the other side of the door- that's why I picked that hallway.  It just never registered in my mind that it might be a good idea to press it...

#73 2014-05-10 13:21:49

Cylence

Pumaroma wrote:

well made it bit further then usual this time. I had to use a ladder..just can't figure out how you're supposed to do that part without a ladder

Its passable without a ladder. You just need to know the buttons and play in self test. Nice handling of the cat though.

iceman wrote:

Well that was quite the profitable scout ... I finally found your magic dance!  As for where I died- I KNEW about the button on the other side of the door- that's why I picked that hallway.  It just never registered in my mind that it might be a good idea to press it...

There's actually buttons on the backside of three doors. Don't forget to press it next time. smile

#74 2014-05-10 13:25:53

Cylence

P.S. Won't be able to put up reveals until Monday.

#75 2014-05-10 19:44:36

Pumaroma

I just about figuered it out i think. But after some charity work i am done for the evening

Board footer