The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-05-16 19:37:12

TheRealCheese

Re: Cullman do you have another tiny tricky house up?

Well now that you've dissected the first trap you should be able to pass that without tools!

#27 2014-05-16 20:24:50

tigerbalm immunity

TheRealCheese wrote:

Well now that you've dissected the first trap you should be able to pass that without tools!

yes but i still need to be able to get out. i don't have an alt account with which to dive in.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#28 2014-05-17 20:48:37

TheRealCheese

I'm sorry cullman, but your house was easier to brute than there was money in it. As you said yourself, that's the problem with a house where you can see the vault from the entrance.

Edit: Also I needed the money to help me build up after I started over, as I died stupidly to a clever trap that I saw coming but still walked right in to like a dumbass.

Last edited by TheRealCheese (2014-05-17 20:49:39)

#29 2014-05-17 22:16:29

cullman

No problem.  It's back up, with way less money. I still hope that someone can solve it the no tools way there are just only so many things you can do.

#30 2014-05-18 15:42:44

cullman

Someone just dropped a $4600 bounty in it.  Was that anyone that hangs out here?

#31 2014-05-18 17:03:56

tigerbalm immunity

that's a pretty good-sized bounty these days.  how did he die?

did you like my latest video? --em roberts

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#32 2014-05-18 19:40:57

cullman

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

that's a pretty good-sized bounty these days.  how did he die?

did you like my latest video? --em roberts

He died with his boots on.  He sawed either north or south and then made the mistake of walking in between the doors of doom smile

Haha, I did like your video, I am glad that is you I can't understand why someone solved it, but didn't take the vault smile

#33 2014-05-20 21:19:10

Cylence

cullman wrote:
Cylence wrote:

My jensen life will expire soon, so I'll be 2k robbing again with him, does this house have a listing above $4k? I'll come visit if so smile

$6125

Tigerbalm let me know your name, so I was able to visit. During my one life, I stopped by multiple times, first with a couple doorstops and meat to check out the path to the door.

Then I came back with some bricks and clubs to venture south to see if there was a path to family down there.

Then after I solved it, I just committed suicide right before the vault.

Enjoy the tapes big_smile

TheRealCheese wrote:

If I get my value over 4k (2.7 right now but with a bunch of paintings) will you come visit me too? I long for intelligent robbers! I am Mr Pleasant.

Couldn't stop by because I couldn't find your house.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#34 2014-05-20 21:29:10

TheRealCheese

Cylence wrote:
TheRealCheese wrote:

If I get my value over 4k (2.7 right now but with a bunch of paintings) will you come visit me too? I long for intelligent robbers! I am Mr Pleasant.

Couldn't stop by because I couldn't find your house.

Yeah I died stupidly in a robbery. Then I rebuilt and died stupidly in a selftest. Now I am holding out fo a little bit.

#35 2014-05-20 22:13:24

cullman

Well Cylance you solved it, and so did one other - thanks for the tape.  For such a simple house it has been a top cash generator cause it seems to work pretty well in a world with this few players.  If you want to come grab the vault, I will post the solution after you do that.

#36 2014-05-21 00:21:13

Cylence

cullman wrote:

Well Cylance you solved it, and so did one other - thanks for the tape.  For such a simple house it has been a top cash generator cause it seems to work pretty well in a world with this few players.  If you want to come grab the vault, I will post the solution after you do that.

I don't plan on grabbing the vault unless I find some combo lock I'd want to chain rob. This was only my first day of exploring the neighborhood. I'm still enjoying my robbing phase. Go ahead and post the solution if you want to. If your place is still up when I've got a reason to have an extra $3k (assuming your wife is alive), then I'll stop by then.

#37 2014-05-21 05:44:21

Pumaroma

Sorry, broke the house on some chain robberies this morning. I was sitting pretty too, then i went big for donald david johnson and lost it all. sad

#38 2014-05-21 08:14:47

cullman

Here is the map :

Yxx0bKA.png

Here is the solution : It's a very simple shift view trap, you must go down and step on the cat to shift the view so that the son will open the doors.  However, the big trick is that I created a very long hall for the son to go down before the doors would open.  So I have many tapes of people who actually solved the map and went back and forth 50-60 times and then they give up and suicide (which is very satisfying to watch), where if they had just went back and forth between the doors 300 or so times they would hit the vault (provided they didn't accidentally key themselves into the dogs waiting on the left side).

In many ways this was my most successful house in terms of generating daily income.  I am really fascinated with maps where you can straight shot the vault these days.

#39 2014-05-21 08:38:06

Pumaroma

im a little disappointed in how i beat this house. I'm fairly certain i solved this before just didn't go 300 times. I know at least once i got close to 200 but oh well. Looking forward to your next straight shot house.

#40 2014-05-21 08:44:03

mala

lol, funny concept, the only problem i see with that is the lack of choices, i mean, you can't go down, the 2 dogs clearly can't be useful, the southern cat gets stuck, and from the bridge you can see the northern one being blocked by the dog, hence the only solution left is to wait for the kid to do something.

i would have let the northern cat run loose, just to let you think there's a sort of magic dance, that you've probably already screwed up by walking back and forth like an idiot big_smile

btw, it's frustrating and senseless... i like it big_smile

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#41 2014-05-21 12:01:27

cullman

mala wrote:

lol, funny concept, the only problem i see with that is the lack of choices, i mean, you can't go down, the 2 dogs clearly can't be useful, the southern cat gets stuck, and from the bridge you can see the northern one being blocked by the dog, hence the only solution left is to wait for the kid to do something.

i would have let the northern cat run loose, just to let you think there's a sort of magic dance, that you've probably already screwed up by walking back and forth like an idiot big_smile

btw, it's frustrating and senseless... i like it big_smile

Mala, you are absolutely right and those suggestions would definitely make it a much harder house.  However, the whole point of this particular design was to see if people could figure it out, or would they assume there was something going on they couldn't figure out and suicide.  Just using only the tiles you can see, if you have complete confidence and understanding of the game there are only 2 possible move sets.  The correct one : step on the cat and then go back and forth between the doors or don't step on the cat and go between the doors.  Even a clock would have to show its hand before 200 steps.  I had one iteration of this house where I had 3 squares between the doors.  I actually reduced it to 2 because with 3 steps between potentially there could be a dance going on with the upper cat.  I removed that possibility, to see if people could solve it knowing a magic dance is not possible (that's also why I have the dogs there to reduce the appearance that some other kind of back and forth may be key.  It was an interesting experiment as in the whole life of the map less than 2% solved it the right way, and I think some pretty smart people effectively solved it but suicided before the doors actually opened.

#42 2014-05-21 14:15:37

Cylence

cullman wrote:

...It was an interesting experiment as in the whole life of the map less than 2% solved it the right way...

When you say "experiment," I'm wondering what it is you are testing and why is it interesting that a low percentage was able to solve it? Isn't that the case with all the houses you've made?

#43 2014-05-21 14:40:39

GotABigTrap

Haha same concept as this house of mine http://castledraft.com/editor/hHRuAT

Basically what I had was a 512 step clock that opened all doors for exactly one step.   So yes, a clock wouldn't have to show its hand before 200 steps necessarily.  Blip was the only person I believe to get past the first room.

I let it sit until it had like 60,000 and Blip blasted straight up, getting the vault with only 7 torches.

In this case there really was nothing to solve.  You simply go on a very long walk to the vault; however, you need to make sure you are next to the door as it opens and that you don't run out of time.  In self test it would take me 15 minutes running back and forth practically having the route memorized.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-05-21 14:47:18)

#44 2014-05-21 18:35:36

cullman

Cylence wrote:
cullman wrote:

...It was an interesting experiment as in the whole life of the map less than 2% solved it the right way...

When you say "experiment," I'm wondering what it is you are testing and why is it interesting that a low percentage was able to solve it? Isn't that the case with all the houses you've made?

Just testing the idea whether or not you could make people think they lost by making something take a long time.  Yes most of my houses aren't easily solved, but this was much more successful and effective than my broken leap of faith visible straight shot vault house.

#45 2014-05-21 18:37:30

cullman

GotABigTrap wrote:

Haha same concept as this house of mine http://castledraft.com/editor/hHRuAT

Basically what I had was a 512 step clock that opened all doors for exactly one step.   So yes, a clock wouldn't have to show its hand before 200 steps necessarily.  Blip was the only person I believe to get past the first room.

I let it sit until it had like 60,000 and Blip blasted straight up, getting the vault with only 7 torches.

In this case there really was nothing to solve.  You simply go on a very long walk to the vault; however, you need to make sure you are next to the door as it opens and that you don't run out of time.  In self test it would take me 15 minutes running back and forth practically having the route memorized.

Yes somewhat similar.  I thought there was 32 step limit in electronics, but maybe that went away with the wireless bit transmission fix.

#46 2014-05-21 22:41:42

GotABigTrap

As far as I know you can make a clock that goes as high as you can fit counters on the map, so if I did 512 with half the map, you could probably go WAY higher, but you would take up much more space.  Every counter bit you add will double the highest count, so if I could fit 9-bits on half the map, you could probably do 18-bits, which would count up to 262144 steps.  This is completely impractical because the police would definitely show up.  As far as the step limit, that refers to electronic states that loop in substeps before reaching a consistent state.  If an electronic system loops more than 32 times(during substeps that occur between each game turn) before reaching consistency (repeating), the game logic disables the power (AFAIK).

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-05-21 22:42:37)

#47 2014-05-24 13:16:38

Blip

I just set up a house with a vault in sight and a clever electronics trap right upfront. The first person to rob me left a $3,700 bounty after walking directly into the trap. Sorry, guy, but you deserved it for trying to rob me tool-less.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#48 2014-05-24 16:32:12

cullman

Yeah there is something quite fun about about trying to make a map that the person sees the vault from the welcome mat that can still kill even pretty good players.  It makes me think it might be fun to have different sized houses in different neighborhoods in my reboot.

I know, I know, Cylance, create a new thread about my reboot.  I will when there is a little more to show - though my coder guy already has a proof of concept version where the logic is server side and you can play a map through the browser...pretty neat.

#49 2014-05-24 22:25:05

mala

cullman wrote:

Yeah there is something quite fun about about trying to make a map that the person sees the vault from the welcome mat that can still kill even pretty good players.  It makes me think it might be fun to have different sized houses in different neighborhoods in my reboot.

i always use scout trap for the first week of a new house, something that looks safe, funny and maybe easy to solve.
Later on, the house has to change to prevent bruteforce, or else you'll never get past 10k.

putting the vault in plain sight seems a great way to lure scouts, they are undergeared, and thrilled by an easy score may be caught  out of guards.

You know you've come up with something new as soon as you get a couple of 1k+ bounties

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#50 2014-05-25 15:33:48

cullman

mala wrote:
cullman wrote:

i always use scout trap for the first week of a new house, something that looks safe, funny and maybe easy to solve.
Later on, the house has to change to prevent bruteforce, or else you'll never get past 10k.

putting the vault in plain sight seems a great way to lure scouts, they are undergeared, and thrilled by an easy score may be caught  out of guards.

You know you've come up with something new as soon as you get a couple of 1k+ bounties

I got a $4,600 bounty on that one, it really surprised me.

Board footer